The Student Room Group

Evaluate the following offences : burglary robbery and criminal damage

I am struggling to evaluate robbery criminal damage and burglary. I currently do btec law but I'm sure a level answers could be similar. If anybody could please help:smile:
Hello. What do you mean by “evaluate”?
Reply 2
Original post by legalhelp
Hello. What do you mean by “evaluate”?

To say the negative and positive aspects of the law on robbery, burglary and criminal damage
Original post by Boogle12345
To say the negative and positive aspects of the law on robbery, burglary and criminal damage

Not trying to be difficult I promise, but I’m still not sure what you mean. The positives and negatives for who? Do you mean you are supposed to set out what the offence is, and how it could potentially be improved / reformed? I should be able to help you but I need to get my head around exactly what it is you’re supposed to be doing.
Yes as it may be a very different viewpoint as a criminal than a lawyer (which would make an interesting essay!)
Original post by Catherine1973
Yes as it may be a very different viewpoint as a criminal than a lawyer (which would make an interesting essay!)

Quite! Not sure there are any positives to the law of robbery for a robber...
Reply 6
Not trying to be difficult I promise, but I’m still not sure what you mean. The positives and negatives for who? Do you mean you are supposed to set out what the offence is, and how it could potentially be improved / reformed? I should be able to help you but I need to get my head around exactly what it is you’re supposed to be doing.

I'm sorry I worded it terribly . Yes I have to say an issue with the law and a way on how i can reform it . This is for Fraud burglary and robbery.
I'm sorry I worded it terribly . Yes I have to say an issue with the law and a way on how i can reform it . This is for Fraud burglary and robbery.

Ok got it. Why don’t we start with fraud, and hopefully that will help you with the other two. First things first: do you know where the fraud offence is written down? Have you had a look at this primary source?
Reply 8
Ok got it. Why don’t we start with fraud, and hopefully that will help you with the other two. First things first: do you know where the fraud offence is written down? Have you had a look at this primary source?

Yes I understand the two types I have been taught : fraud by making off without payment,fraud by false representation. I'm just unsure of reform and issues
Yes I understand the two types I have been taught : fraud by making off without payment,fraud by false representation. I'm just unsure of reform and issues

That’s not quite right. The main fraud offences are in the Fraud Act 2006 at sections 2 (fraud by false representation), 3 (fraud by failing to disclose) and 4 (fraud by abuse of position). Making off without payment is a theft offence under the Theft Act 1978, not a fraud offence. Do you know which one exactly you’re supposed to be evaluating?
That’s not quite right. The main fraud offences are in the Fraud Act 2006 at sections 2 (fraud by false representation), 3 (fraud by failing to disclose) and 4 (fraud by abuse of position). Making off without payment is a theft offence under the Theft Act 1978, not a fraud offence. Do you know which one exactly you’re supposed to be evaluating?

I wasnt saying they are the only types I was saying I understand both of those because there the only ones we've learnt at the moment :smile: I have to come up with cristizms and reforms for both
I wasnt saying they are the only types I was saying I understand both of those because there the only ones we've learnt at the moment :smile: I have to come up with cristizms and reforms for both

Sure - I’m not trying to patronise you at all, I’m just saying that making off without payment is not a fraud offence, and you said in your original post that you were supposed to be evaluating fraud. Is that right? If so, you don’t need to consider making off without payment because it’s a theft offence. But if you are meant to be considering both fraud and making off without payment separately as well, then let me know.
Sure - I’m not trying to patronise you at all, I’m just saying that making off without payment is not a fraud offence, and you said in your original post that you were supposed to be evaluating fraud. Is that right? If so, you don’t need to consider making off without payment because it’s a theft offence. But if you are meant to be considering both fraud and making off without payment separately as well, then let me know.

Yes you are right its fraud by false representation and then making off without pahment seperately that I am meant to be doing
Ok. On the fraud question, this is quite tricky because the Fraud Act was brought in not that long ago, in response to criticisms of the old law. The offence in section 2 actually works pretty well! But one thing you could think about is whether the drafting of the offence maybe goes too far. For example, take a look at section 2(1)(b). Do the Crown have to prove that the defendant actually caused the victim any loss as a result of his false representation? If not, do you think it is right that the law should operate in that way? Take a careful look also at s. 2(5). How do you think this applies to, for example, someone writing a false representation in a draft email, intending to cause loss to the recipient, but with the email staying in drafts? Is that an offence under s. 2? If it is, do you think it should be? As I said, it’s hard to answer these questions properly without taking a careful look at the relevant legislation. Here’s section 2, if you need it: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/section/2
Hello.
Write a full concise paragraph about the Fraud Act. Make up some brief notes. Describe the negatives (there are really no positives) of such criminal activity. Explain about the loss of trust for starters. Be aware of the overall importance of human rights and remember to treat the victim kindly as well.
Refer very carefully to any online source of information too in order to lend a ton more weight and try to slowly build up your law coursework essay that way. Discuss the various effective treatment options for treating and curing any repeat offenders. Also make sure to type your law essay entirely up in black only.
Use your class notes as a source of fodder for your task in addition. To end off your assignment do not omit to correctly reference all of your reference sources at the very bottom of your coursework law essay task and also list the internet source either as a functional web link for future reference and peace of mind or as a written up footnote at the end. Make sure to build up a very good case. See if you can even find some more information online to use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending