The Student Room Group

How do i gain muscle and loose fat?

I've been on a weight loss journey for a few months at home, I've lost 10kg and a few cm. I feel like I have gained strength and muscle from bodyweight exercises and resistance workouts along with HIIT.

I use these resistance bands (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exercise-Resistance-Strength-Training-Equipment/dp/B078XCK6SF/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=resistance+bands&qid=1610808705&sr=8-7)

But I just wanted to ask if anyone has some extra advice on gaining muscle mass and losing fat! I don't want to gain loads of muscle just a little so that eventually when I do drop some more body fat and I can have some muscle definition. I have a surprising amount of leg muscle (I think) but my arms, core, glutes and back are weakkkkk so I guess that's my focus.

Any extra advice would be appreciated as people on here are so helpful so thank you!
Feel free to recommend any videos, (cheap) equipment and specific exercises.

Info about me if it helps advice
I'm a female, 62kg, 18years old.
Protein wise I probably get around 50-60g, not sure if that's enough? But also I need to stay in my caloric deficit.
I eat 1400-1500calories
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im not really sure but there are some apps on google play that help with losing weight
You know what, I never thought i'd be the type of person to take time out of my day to exercise..

You know what?

I was right... :u:
Double your protein intake and also how tall are you?
Reply 4
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Double your protein intake and also how tall are you?

I’m 166cm, i’m not sure how to double my protein intake without increasing my calories loads
Original post by 14t
I’m 166cm, i’m not sure how to double my protein intake without increasing my calories loads

Your a healthy weight now, why do you have to keep the caloric deficit its just gonna make it a lot harder for you to build muscle bc of the protein and lack of kcalories.
Reply 6
Your a healthy weight now, why do you have to keep the caloric deficit its just gonna make it a lot harder for you to build muscle bc of the protein and lack of kcalories.

Yeah I know i’m in the healthy range (finally haha) but I still have a moderately high body fat % (26% i think, i know it’s not REALLY high but still) and I have a fair amount of fat around my waist which i’d like to loose, probably like another 8cm off my waist atleast.
once i’m closer to how i wanna be body fat wise i’ll 100% increase calories especially protein but right now i do want to loose fat
Original post by 14t
Yeah I know i’m in the healthy range (finally haha) but I still have a moderately high body fat % (26% i think, i know it’s not REALLY high but still) and I have a fair amount of fat around my waist which i’d like to loose, probably like another 8cm off my waist atleast.
once i’m closer to how i wanna be body fat wise i’ll 100% increase calories especially protein but right now i do want to loose fat

I understand however if you stay the same weight and build muscle you will lower your bodyfat percentage while building muscle this will look much better and make it easier to lose fat later IF need be. Just my opinion.
Original post by 14t
I've been on a weight loss journey for a few months at home, I've lost 10kg and a few cm. I feel like I have gained strength and muscle from bodyweight exercises and resistance workouts along with HIIT.

I use these resistance bands (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exercise-Resistance-Strength-Training-Equipment/dp/B078XCK6SF/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=resistance+bands&qid=1610808705&sr=8-7)

But I just wanted to ask if anyone has some extra advice on gaining muscle mass and losing fat! I don't want to gain loads of muscle just a little so that eventually when I do drop some more body fat and I can have some muscle definition. I have a surprising amount of leg muscle (I think) but my arms, core, glutes and back are weakkkkk so I guess that's my focus.

Any extra advice would be appreciated as people on here are so helpful so thank you!
Feel free to recommend any videos, (cheap) equipment and specific exercises.

Info about me if it helps advice
I'm a female, 62kg, 18years old.
Protein wise I probably get around 50-60g, not sure if that's enough? But also I need to stay in my caloric deficit.
I eat 1400-1500calories

Hey this is rlly good :smile: I’m ac trying to lose weight myself but have only managed 3 kilos (most of my exercise used to be sport) do u have any advice??!
Reply 9

I understand however if you stay the same weight and build muscle you will lower your bodyfat percentage while building muscle this will look much better and make it easier to lose fat later IF need be. Just my opinion.

Ah ok, thanks! What would you suggest to do this? Apart from increase protein
Reply 10
Original post by Alishalol
Hey this is rlly good :smile: I’m ac trying to lose weight myself but have only managed 3 kilos (most of my exercise used to be sport) do u have any advice??!

Well done on the 3kg so far!!! Be proud of yourself!
Technically I’ve gone from 80kg->62kg. But I lost the 80kg->72kg naturally without really realising as I was just going through a rough time to get to 80kg in the first place which is very overweight for my height.
October is when I started putting effort in. Before that i’d tried loosing weight for YEARS and obviously, I failed. What changed for me? mindset.
I used to want to loose 20kg in a matter of days/weeks and i’d restrict so hard and then i’d binge and give up. I think i struggled with BED and i’m in an emotionally ab*sive household so food was kind of my comfort.
Now i’ve realised, it takes time, however long you think weight loss will take you - double it. also what works for me might not work for you as all bodies are different.

what i did was
for one month track what i ate in notes, all i did was eat healthier so more veggies LESS (not no) junk, i did 10mins of pilates a day an alternate days of 20mins of HIIT or body weight workouts. In that month i lost 4kg. This helped as i was aware of what i was eating which jjst helped me make better choices.

next month i downloaded MFP and worked out how many calories i should eat to loose weight (work out your TDEE and subtract 500-400), i stayed within my deficit most days but XMAS i did eat and my maintenance calories, in this month i did loose another 3kg (initial weight loss slows after the first few weeks THAT IS NORMAL AND OKAY)
however, i hated MFP, i’d feel like a failure if i saw those red numbers - i recognised that this was what caused me to give up in the past so i deleted it! i’m glad i used mfp for that month as now i do understand calories in food a lot more so now i can eat whilst tracking in notes (by literally just writing what i ate and nothing else) and estimating that i’m eating enough calories - i don’t feel the shame of going over my deficit anymore as slip ups are normal. i can guess how many calories are in my food (must be working as i’m loosing weight!) without MFP, i try to make sure i have carbs protein and fat in every meal! i make my own breakfast and lunch but dinner is made by my parents so i can control whats in it, i just eat enough to satisfy me and make sure my portion of carbs in a moderate size.

don’t criticise the rate at which you lose weight, although 0.5kg a week is a good thing to aim for.
work with your body not against it, if it’s growling for food FEED IT with kindness and nutritious food! eat cells food (nutrients) and soul food (happiness like chocolate)
i tend to eat 3 meals and a snack, trying to stop my mindless nibbling atm by pre planning a set snack if i’m feeling peckish

i do HIIT x3 and body weight 3x but only do exercises you enjoy of you will give up eventually, i love the workouts i do!

drink lots of water too! I did anyway but it’s definitely helped!

i’m sorry if this was a weird ramble, if you have any specific questions just ask x you’ve got this
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 14t
Ah ok, thanks! What would you suggest to do this? Apart from increase protein

Increase kcalories till you are maintaining weight and continue to progressively overload your resistance training and be consistent, do you have access to a gym?
Reply 12
Increase kcalories till you are maintaining weight and continue to progressively overload your resistance training and be consistent, do you have access to a gym?

All my gyms are closed but even if they open up im not planning on joining until after june (got exams). How do i progressively overload? Currently i’ve been using the ACHV PEAK resistance band 20min workouts (https://youtu.be/jrn2cbrFHTQ)
Original post by 14t
All my gyms are closed but even if they open up im not planning on joining until after june (got exams). How do i progressively overload? Currently i’ve been using the ACHV PEAK resistance band 20min workouts (https://youtu.be/jrn2cbrFHTQ)

If you are using resistance bands you increase the difficulty (resistance) of them on the exercises.
Reply 14
If you are using resistance bands you increase the difficulty (resistance) of them on the exercises.

Okay! Thank you :smile: if i were to buy some weights to use at home do you have any advice/reccomentation?
First, congrats on your weight loss!

Second, at your weight, it'd be near impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. You are better off losing some fat first (although you're at a healthy weight) then gaining muscle, losing some fat again, etc. Basically cycling those goals.

If you want to gain muscle, you've to eat more than you burn. You've to gain weight in other words, and some of it is gonna be muscle some of it is gonna be water/other tissue and some of it, fat. Inevitably.

You want to minimise fat gain and maximise muscle gain. Therefore, you must make sure you don't eat a big surplus and gain lots of weight (cuz most of it is gonna be water/fat - not muscle) -- just enough to increase your total body weight. This you must do empirically. Weigh yourself, ideally measure your BF so you know your body composition and then start counting calories. Find out at how many calories you maintain your current weight, you said you already do HIIT and resistance. You don't need HIIT to gain muscle but it's useful if you wanna eat a bit more and still not gain fat. Then add 500kcal a day worth of food.

If you want to lose weight, you do the opposite, you either subtract 500kcal worth of food per day or you add daily cardiovascular exercise with which you'll burn 500kcal. I'd keep everything else the same, maybe up the protein a little from 1g per pound to 1,5g for example.

Despite what people say, if your protein requirements are met, you will gain muscle or lose fat if you're in a caloric surplus or deficit. That's all you need to do, there are no magic solutions or diets that ''work'' better than others.

TLDR; Eat fewer calories than your maintenance to lose fat, keep protein at 1-1,5g per pound of body weight (you can substitute eating less with more HIIT/cardio). Eat more calories than your maintenance (or ditch the cardio depending on how much of it you're doing), keep protein at 1-1,5g as before and lift weights to gain muscle.
Original post by 14t
Well done on the 3kg so far!!! Be proud of yourself!
Technically I’ve gone from 80kg->62kg. But I lost the 80kg->72kg naturally without really realising as I was just going through a rough time to get to 80kg in the first place which is very overweight for my height.
October is when I started putting effort in. Before that i’d tried loosing weight for YEARS and obviously, I failed. What changed for me? mindset.
I used to want to loose 20kg in a matter of days/weeks and i’d restrict so hard and then i’d binge and give up. I think i struggled with BED and i’m in an emotionally ab*sive household so food was kind of my comfort.
Now i’ve realised, it takes time, however long you think weight loss will take you - double it. also what works for me might not work for you as all bodies are different.

what i did was
for one month track what i ate in notes, all i did was eat healthier so more veggies LESS (not no) junk, i did 10mins of pilates a day an alternate days of 20mins of HIIT or body weight workouts. In that month i lost 4kg. This helped as i was aware of what i was eating which jjst helped me make better choices.

next month i downloaded MFP and worked out how many calories i should eat to loose weight (work out your TDEE and subtract 500-400), i stayed within my deficit most days but XMAS i did eat and my maintenance calories, in this month i did loose another 3kg (initial weight loss slows after the first few weeks THAT IS NORMAL AND OKAY)
however, i hated MFP, i’d feel like a failure if i saw those red numbers - i recognised that this was what caused me to give up in the past so i deleted it! i’m glad i used mfp for that month as now i do understand calories in food a lot more so now i can eat whilst tracking in notes (by literally just writing what i ate and nothing else) and estimating that i’m eating enough calories - i don’t feel the shame of going over my deficit anymore as slip ups are normal. i can guess how many calories are in my food (must be working as i’m loosing weight!) without MFP, i try to make sure i have carbs protein and fat in every meal! i make my own breakfast and lunch but dinner is made by my parents so i can control whats in it, i just eat enough to satisfy me and make sure my portion of carbs in a moderate size.

don’t criticise the rate at which you lose weight, although 0.5kg a week is a good thing to aim for.
work with your body not against it, if it’s growling for food FEED IT with kindness and nutritious food! eat cells food (nutrients) and soul food (happiness like chocolate)
i tend to eat 3 meals and a snack, trying to stop my mindless nibbling atm by pre planning a set snack if i’m feeling peckish

i do HIIT x3 and body weight 3x but only do exercises you enjoy of you will give up eventually, i love the workouts i do!

drink lots of water too! I did anyway but it’s definitely helped!

i’m sorry if this was a weird ramble, if you have any specific questions just ask x you’ve got this

Omg that’s terrific! Technically I was also in a rlly bad place (after my exams), went up to 78, became 64 after blood sweat n tears n then kept fluctuating during the first lockdown so I totally get what u mean by changing our mindset. N tysm for the detailed advice I never even knew what TDEE was before 😂 xx
Reply 17
Original post by Alishalol
Omg that’s terrific! Technically I was also in a rlly bad place (after my exams), went up to 78, became 64 after blood sweat n tears n then kept fluctuating during the first lockdown so I totally get what u mean by changing our mindset. N tysm for the detailed advice I never even knew what TDEE was before 😂 xx

Well done man!!
yeah TDEE is your total daily expenditure it’s made up of your BMR + physical activity + NEAT + TEF!!
Original post by 14t
Okay! Thank you :smile: if i were to buy some weights to use at home do you have any advice/reccomentation?

You would have to buy many dumbells at many weights so that u can overload efficiently but if u do then there are some good dumbell programs u can do.
Reply 19
You would have to buy many dumbells at many weights so that u can overload efficiently but if u do then there are some good dumbell programs u can do.

turns out my dad has some old dumbbells back from his bodybuilding days, They’re 4kg each and i can make them up to 8kg each (but embarrassingly, 8kg is wayyy too heavy for me which is technically good ig as i won’t need to actually buy weights until i’ve progressed past 8kg which probably won’t be for a while haha!
i don’t count calories but i’ve upped what i eat a little, not up to maintenance though. do you have any exercises/youtube video recommendations for dumbbells to build muscle (& loose fat)

Latest