The Student Room Group

Leaving my Church

I wanted to post this is faith and spirituality but you can’t do that anonymously.
Anyhoo, I joined my Church a month ago and I’ve just written a letter about wanting to leave. I don’t want them to think me fickle but if I stayed on, it would be deceptively and not for the right reasons. However, I don’t want to choose the world over the kingdom, I’m afraid and I feel that I should give it more time. I just don’t know, it all happened so fast.

Scroll to see replies

What's made you want to leave?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
What's made you want to leave?

I think the commitment, my life has to revolve around it, my spare funds, I must marry within the Church.
But more so, I still don’t actually know that I believe, they say belief is a choice, I think me being there could even be harmful to them and their faith, like a gangrenous wound in the body of the Church.
taking a break from religion doesn't negate your beliefs. if you don't want to be in that church it is perfectly fine to take some time off and find somewhere else you'd be more comfortable

It's also perfectly okay to take a break and reevaluate your beliefs. If you do believe, your church/god/friends will still be there.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
taking a break from religion doesn't negate your beliefs. if you don't want to be in that church it is perfectly fine to take some time off and find somewhere else you'd be more comfortable

But it’s not really fine in my Church, that’s more of a secular view of how Churches ought to behave but isn’t biblical. If I take a week off, my phone will be flooded with phone calls and messages ☹️
But it’s not really fine in my Church, that’s more of a secular view of how Churches ought to behave but isn’t biblical. If I take a week off, my phone will be flooded with phone calls and messages ☹️

it should be fine. If the people in your church would treat you like that, I wouldn't stay. It's obviously a lot more complicated than that, but I don't know enough about your situation to make a better reccommendation
Reply 6
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
it should be fine. If the people in your church would treat you like that, I wouldn't stay. It's obviously a lot more complicated than that, but I don't know enough about your situation to make a better reccommendation

It’s all part of loving in the way God wants us to, being a family etc.
If I just walked away from my physical family they’d worry for my safety, my Church would be worried for my soul especially because now is the time I’m supposed to be most susceptible Satan.
Reply 7
Your church sounds like a con trick run by wicked people.

But it’s not really fine in my Church, that’s more of a secular view of how Churches ought to behave but isn’t biblical. If I take a week off, my phone will be flooded with phone calls and messages
Reply 8
It’s all part of loving in the way God wants us to, being a family etc.
If I just walked away from my physical family they’d worry for my safety, my Church would be worried for my soul especially because now is the time I’m supposed to be most susceptible Satan.

Ask them if they are worried enough to refund your money. Oh, and if they talk about Satan assume they are frauds.
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
Ask them if they are worried enough to refund your money. Oh, and if they talk about Satan assume they are frauds.

It’s genuinely all biblical though, this is the closest church to God’s word I’ve ever encountered. And Satan is very real to them.
It’s genuinely all biblical though, this is the closest church to God’s word I’ve ever encountered. And Satan is very real to them.

then why are you leaving?
then why are you leaving?

Because I’m unhappy, yes they abide by the Bible but that’s of no consequence to me if I don’t really believe in God or want to continue sinning.
I wanted to post this is faith and spirituality but you can’t do that anonymously.
Anyhoo, I joined my Church a month ago and I’ve just written a letter about wanting to leave. I don’t want them to think me fickle but if I stayed on, it would be deceptively and not for the right reasons. However, I don’t want to choose the world over the kingdom, I’m afraid and I feel that I should give it more time. I just don’t know, it all happened so fast.

leave man. What kind of church is that to have to write a letter to tell them your leaving??

Next month will mark five years since i have left christianity.
Because I’m unhappy, yes they abide by the Bible but that’s of no consequence to me if I don’t really believe in God or want to continue sinning.

hmmm ok then I think you should re-evaluate this whole religion thing if it's clearly not making you happy. Like you, their's no middle ground, just block them, change you're number and leave. Maybe later in life you'll change but no point worrying about something you can't control
Original post by Quiet Benin
leave man. What kind of church is that to have to write a letter to tell them your leaving??

Next month will mark five years since i have left christianity.

I don’t have to leave, it’s just out of courtesy and because I care about them.
I don’t have to leave, it’s just out of courtesy and because I care about them.

I don’t have to write a letter***
hmmm ok then I think you should re-evaluate this whole religion thing if it's clearly not making you happy. Like you, their's no middle ground, just block them, change you're number and leave. Maybe later in life you'll change but no point worrying about something you can't control

Yes, but I do love them and will miss them dearly so I just think I should give it another month or so and if it’s really not working, have a few frank conversations.

What is your degree of expertise in biblical matters? I'm sure the leaders are too knowledgeable and well trained to have some strong belief in Satan.
Original post by ajj2000
What is your degree of expertise in biblical matters? I'm sure the leaders are too knowledgeable and well trained to have some strong belief in Satan.

Satan or temptation/ deception is all over the Bible
Satan or temptation/ deception is all over the Bible

Temptation and deception is. The (Western) idea of an ultimate evil? Far tougher to establish. Satan as deceiver, a Loki type character is seen are a more reliable translator than some evil anti-god.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending