The Student Room Group

Police: Sixth-leading cause of death for young black men

According to a study from the University of Michigan, about 100 in 100,000 Black men and boys will be killed by police during their lives (in the US), while 39 white men and boys per 100,000 are killed by police. This means Black men are about 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men.
https://news.umich.edu/police-sixth-leading-cause-of-death-for-young-black-men/
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can you post the study?
Original post by LoveAmore
This means Black men are about 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men.
https://news.umich.edu/police-sixth-leading-cause-of-death-for-young-black-men/

These things don't happen in a vacuum.
How many times more likely are these black men to be involved in violent crime than white men, bringing them into conflict with the police.
For example black men in the US are about 6% of the population, but are responsible for over 50% of homicides.
Original post by caravaggio2
These things don't happen in a vacuum.
How many times more likely are these black men to be involved in violent crime than white men, bringing them into conflict with the police.
For example black men in the US are about 6% of the population, but are responsible for over 50% of homicides.

Like trafic stops: https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/6/9/21285536/maurice-gordon-police-shooting-explained Maurice Gordon

sleeping in your bed: Breonna Taylor

selling cigs: Eric Garner

walking from home: Elijah Mclaine

Broken Lights: Walter Scott

Accused of using a fake 20 dollar bill and chocked out: George floyd

Doing U turns in the road: Miriam Carey in DC where white people stormed the capitol unharmed and the ones arrested were released on Bail, Black men get locked up and harsher sentences for petty crimes

There are 2 americas one for white and others for blacks/browns/natives etc
Amerikkka was built on racism, Police in america used to be called slave patrol ffs

Youll never hear or see white people killed in america by police in the examples shown above

Explain why in the 80s when there was the crack epidemic there was mass incarceration of black men causing broken black families but a similar opioid crises affecting white americans right now a different approach of therapy and rehab is being used
Reply 5
I do think there is certainly a fair bit of racism within US police forces. At the very least, a level of unconscious bias.

But that being said, 2.5 times 'not much of a chance' is still, more or less, not much of a chance. Yes, the police have to be better at working with black communities, but just as importantly black communities have to be better at working with the police. Building positive community relations works both ways.
6th highest cause of death is by police... 3rd highest cause of death is being killed by mostly other black people.

Solving the police issue is great - but there's another bigger problem that might also need a tiny bit of attention there.
Reply 7
Original post by BiafranPharm

Explain why in the 80s when there was the crack epidemic there was mass incarceration of black men causing broken black families but a similar opioid crises affecting white americans right now a different approach of therapy and rehab is being used

Well for a start there is no medication you can use in 'rehab' for crack smokers as opposed to opiates which have a number of medical treatment options.
But clearly, it was not but a giant conspiracy to keep the black man down right? :rolleyes:

You think only jailed africans for their crack crimes caused broken homes though? Would you kindly explain why that is still a massive problem today among afro americans. Irrespective of "crack".

Bigger point though, if you think its only white people who use opiates/opioids you're insane...
Original post by fallen_acorns
6th highest cause of death is by police... 3rd highest cause of death is being killed by mostly other black people.

Solving the police issue is great - but there's another bigger problem that might also need a tiny bit of attention there.

White people kill eachother

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

Police arent meant to kill their citizens

A black man kills another black man, which is just regular crime will get justice

A police officer kills a black person theres no justice, thats the problem, you guys love bringing up "black on black crime" a term that only exists in the West
(edited 3 years ago)
Like trafic stops: https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/6/9/21285536/maurice-gordon-police-shooting-explained Maurice Gordon

sleeping in your bed: Breonna Taylor

selling cigs: Eric Garner

walking from home: Elijah Mclaine

Broken Lights: Walter Scott

Accused of using a fake 20 dollar bill and chocked out: George floyd

Doing U turns in the road: Miriam Carey in DC where white people stormed the capitol unharmed and the ones arrested were released on Bail, Black men get locked up and harsher sentences for petty crimes

There are 2 americas one for white and others for blacks/browns/natives etc
Amerikkka was built on racism, Police in america used to be called slave patrol ffs

Youll never hear or see white people killed in america by police in the examples shown above

Amerikkka? Seriously, how old are you?

I notice you ignore my question on how many times more likely are black men to be involved with violence and so in contact with the police and instead go for the few tragic cases where it is unarmed black people. Don't mention that the vast majority of those killed (the 2.5 x ones) are either armed or violently resisting arrest or both.
On CNN TV you have talking heads saying black men in America are frightened to go out of their homes because white cops are hunting them down in the streets and killing and nobody on the panel or anchoring challenges these ludicrous statements.
In 2019 a total of 9 unarmed black people were killed by police. 9 too many, but out of over 10 million police/civilian interactions.
In the same period 19 white unarmed where killed. In America a cop is 18x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a cop.

"You'll never hear or see white people killed in america by police in the examples shown above"

That's correct you wont see it, but not because it doesn't happen, its mostly because CNN and the rest of the MSM makes sure they (white cases) are mostly only covered by local stations as they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into reporting them themselves. Lots of the MSM for some reason have a race baiting agenda.
After the last 12 months you could probably go to a goat herder in Outer Mongolia and ask him his opinion on the George Floyd case and he will be able to tell you the cops name. Yet I can guarantee the vast majority of people round the world (including you) have never heard of Tony Timpa.

About 4 years ago Tony Timpa, a white guy, was Killed by Cops in exactly the same way as Floyd but in his case it took 3 YEARS to get the body cam video.
Tony Timpa was handcuffed by his hands & feet with police kneeling on his back with his face nose & mouth being suffocating him by the ground by constant force for 13 minutes. He said "You're going to kill, I cant breath" while he begged, cried and prayed for his life. The cops (including a black officer) laughed and made jokes about him. Even laughing and saying "Hey we didn't just kill him did we?" as his lifeless body was lifted into the ambulance. The cops that killed him are back at work

https://youtu.be/rXADeIcUrsA

At the end of the day if you are involved in violent crime you are more likely to come into a violent confrontation with a cop.
Its the same reason men are killed by cops way more often than women.
Every death at the hands of the police is a tragedy but as i said the vast majority don't happen in a vacuum.
Amerikkka? Seriously, how old are you?

I notice you ignore my question on how many times more likely are black men to be involved with violence and so in contact with the police and instead go for the few tragic cases where it is unarmed black people. Don't mention that the vast majority of those killed (the 2.5 x ones) are either armed or violently resisting arrest or both.
On CNN TV you have talking heads saying black men in America are frightened to go out of their homes because white cops are hunting them down in the streets and killing and nobody on the panel or anchoring challenges these ludicrous statements.
In 2019 a total of 9 unarmed black people were killed by police. 9 too many, but out of over 10 million police/civilian interactions.
In the same period 19 white unarmed where killed. In America a cop is 18x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a cop.

"You'll never hear or see white people killed in america by police in the examples shown above"

That's correct you wont see it, but not because it doesn't happen, its mostly because CNN and the rest of the MSM makes sure they (white cases) are mostly only covered by local stations as they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into reporting them themselves. Lots of the MSM for some reason have a race baiting agenda.
After the last 12 months you could probably go to a goat herder in Outer Mongolia and ask him his opinion on the George Floyd case and he will be able to tell you the cops name. Yet I can guarantee the vast majority of people round the world (including you) have never heard of Tony Timpa.

About 4 years ago Tony Timpa, a white guy, was Killed by Cops in exactly the same way as Floyd but in his case it took 3 YEARS to get the body cam video.
Tony Timpa was handcuffed by his hands & feet with police kneeling on his back with his face nose & mouth being suffocating him by the ground by constant force for 13 minutes. He said "You're going to kill, I cant breath" while he begged, cried and prayed for his life. The cops (including a black officer) laughed and made jokes about him. Even laughing and saying "Hey we didn't just kill him did we?" as his lifeless body was lifted into the ambulance. The cops that killed him are back at work

https://youtu.be/rXADeIcUrsA

At the end of the day if you are involved in violent crime you are more likely to come into a violent confrontation with a cop.
Its the same reason men are killed by cops way more often than women.
Every death at the hands of the police is a tragedy but as i said the vast majority don't happen in a vacuum.

Simple question the examples i gave you, show me white counterparts killed for the same things, none of them were involved in violent crimes
Keep blaiming the media, just show examples because i have more that arent even reported.
American Police having been harassing african american communites for decades, if they were slave patrollers originally do you think they serve the best interest of these communities?

Nothing Childish about the term amerikkka, im 25 since you were asking
Simple question the examples i gave you, show me white counterparts killed for the same things, none of them were involved in violent crimes
Keep blaiming the media, just show examples because i have more that arent even reported.
American Police having been harassing african american communites for decades, if they were slave patrollers originally do you think they serve the best interest of these communities?

Dont you see you're proving my point.
No I cant show you white counterparts, not because they didn't happen, as we see 19 did, but because looking for them in the media is like looking for rocking horse ****.
19 were killed compared to 9 blacks and I cant name one.
Ask yourself why neither of us could name one of the 19 unarmed white people killed yet I, and I suspect you, without Google could have named 5 of the 7 black people your list, not only that but give a rough run down of how each case happened.

Why do you think these reports (2.5x more likely to die) never compare the same demographics in the crime stats

Do you accept that if you are disproportionately involved in violent crime you are disproportionately going to come up against police and in the US armed police?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12

What kind of bizarre argument is this? Thats like saying because Liberia was founded to house free slaves it was always a beacon of civility.. as opposed to immediately turning on its raison detre. Or because Krupp originally made guns all of its current line of toasters come with dubious undertones.

Case in point, you cant judge something today because of what it did 3 centuries ago. Nor on what it did in the early 20th century for that matter. Tempora Mutantur, Nos Et Mutamur In Illis...
That being said, whilst certain ploddies in the states self evidently do have racist issues with blacks, why do you take the view that every single interaction is clearly racist? As opposed to the well known statistics that blacks are disproportionality involved in criminal conduct and thus disproportionately involved in dangerous encounters with them. I mean, its hardly surprising that given most gang members are blacks/hispanics (thus armed and involved in violent behaviour) that the police are going to run into more shoot outs with them and, more generally, have their views coloured by it, as the old saying goes 'theres no smoke without fire'.

Out of interest, is your username a reference to the breakaway Nigerian state?
Reply 13
Dont you see you're proving my point.
No I cant show you white counterparts, not because they didn't happen, as we see 19 did, but because looking for them in the media is like looking for rocking horse ****.
19 were killed compared to 9 blacks and I cant name one.
Ask yourself why neither of us could name one of the 19 white unarmed white people killed yet I, and i suspect you, could have named 5 of the 7 black people you list, not only that but give a rough run down of how each case happened.

Why do you think these reports (2.5x more likely to die) never compare the same demographics in the crime stats

Do you accept that if you are disproportionately involved in violent crime you are disproportionately going to come up against police and in the US armed police?

Well put. One isnt usually apt to view things through a conspiratorial type lens but it is interesting that police shootings of certain races are more or less ignored. Take that poor sod who was murdered in a hotel corridor a couple of years back, that barely touched the headlines (not to mention it was one of the more prominent cases). Alas, such cases dont tend to sit well with the world view inflicted on the airwaves by the likes of CNN et al. that the police are not but a bunch of irredeemable racists :lol: Such a view has even started percolating over here in NZL where they not only dont carry guns but have equality of races in their founding charter. Reality is best ignored it seems though :lol:
Here’s an idea, how about they stop being involved with police by committing so much crime and maybe that statistic will go down. Considering 18% of the population make up over 50% of the murders, it’s hardly a surprise that they’re involved with the police more, or that it ends violently.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Here’s an idea, how about they stop being involved with police by committing so much crime and maybe that statistic will go down. Considering 18% of the population make up over 50% of the murders, it’s hardly a surprise that they’re involved with the police more, or that it ends violently.

Black Americans are a shade under 13% of the US population but the homicide stats are worse than you say because the vast majority of black people committing homicides are men not women so roughly 6%.
Put another way from one demographic just over 1 in 20 of the US are committing more murders than the other 19 combined. This is wildly out of proportion by any measure and never acknowledged in reports like the OPs as they shade their 2.5x figure.
Perhaps the point should be its amazing the figure isn't greater than they're 2.5x more likely to be killed by the cops.
(edited 3 years ago)
White people kill eachother

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

Police arent meant to kill their citizens

A black man kills another black man, which is just regular crime will get justice

A police officer kills a black person theres no justice, thats the problem, you guys love bringing up "black on black crime" a term that only exists in the West

Great - if I want to campiagn for white lives mattering, and stop white people from dying - that's useful to know.

Citizens also aren't meant to kill other citizens..

Does it get justice? I think a lot of parents of murdered children would disagree...

Obviously black on black crime only exists as a term in the west. In black majority countries its just 'crime' - and here in Asia, they are such a tiny majority its not really an issue.

---

The point is, you need to decide what your fighting for - racial justice, or black lives? Because if you want to save as many black lives as possible, solving black on black crime, and the raical issues that underpin that are going to be where you start. If you are just interested in superficial racial justice though, focusing on a much much smaller number of deaths, just because of the race of the perpetrator is exactly what you'd do.

Lets be honest, 1000 black people could die at the hands of other black people, but BLM will still be out there protesting about a black man who was shot while running with a knife at a cop instead...

Terry Crews was spot on on this, back during the riots last year. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-lemon-terry-crews-have-heated-black-lives-matter-exchange-1302164
(the best bit about that interview is Don Lemon saying that BLM isn't a general movement about racial equality, its specifically about police violence.. The exact opposite of the arguement that was used throughout 2020 to justify bringing BLM to countries that don't have problems with police brutality, or to deflect from questions about the founders political leanings.. its a single issue protest when it suits them, and all about general inequality when it suits them to)
Interesting statistic :smile:
Black Americans are a shade under 13% of the US population but the homicide stats are worse than you say because the vast majority of black people committing homicides are men not women so roughly 6%.
Put another way from one demographic just over 1 in 20 of the US are committing more murders than the other 19 combined. This is wildly out of proportion by any measure and never acknowledged in reports like the OPs as they shade their 2.5x figure.
Perhaps the point should be its amazing the figure isn't greater than they're 2.5x more likely to be killed by the cops.

But it's true for all races that the vast majority of homicides are committed by men, so to be consistent you'd have to exclude women altogether - which would bring the percentage back up to 13%. Otherwise you could keep piling on more and more criteria to whittle that number down even further. You could say poor black men account for the vast majority of those murders, and now it's, say, 3% of the population. Then you could add 'has used drugs in the past', or something, to make it even smaller. But every time you do so the 'black' aspect becomes less significant. Yet it's the 'black' part that we're expected to focus on. The only reason you'd do this if you were actively trying to make black Americans looks as bad as possible.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply