The Student Room Group

Want to apply to dentistry. Please Help!!!

Hi. So basically I want to study dentistry at uni and I’m doing my A-Levels right now but my GCSEs weren’t great and was wondering if I still have a chance. They’re
-Science 8,8
-Maths 6
-English Language and Lit 6,6
-Computer Science 6
-History 4
-Spanish 9
-Pe Level 2 Distinction*
Thanks!
You would meet the bare minimum requirements for some dental schools but I strongly recommend that if you want to make a competitive application, you need to have much stronger grades at A Level and a strong UCAT score and personal statement as your GCSEs are relatively weak in comparison to the typical applicant.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
You would meet the bare minimum requirements for some dental schools but I strongly recommend that if you want to make a competitive application, you need to have much stronger grades at A Level and a strong UCAT score and personal statement as your GCSEs are relatively weak in comparison to the typical applicant.

So should I try my best to stand out with my A Levels? And I’d still manage to get in?
Original post by hamzaali_2004
So should I try my best to stand out with my A Levels? And I’d still manage to get in?

I can’t tell you whether you’ll be accepted or not, I can’t predict the future. But I can tell you that it is very competitive - you will have to have better grades, UCAT score and personal statement and apply strategically if you want to stand a chance.
I can’t tell you whether you’ll be accepted or not, I can’t predict the future. But I can tell you that it is very competitive - you will have to have better grades, UCAT score and personal statement and apply strategically if you want to stand a chance.

Great! Thanks for ur help!
Great! Thanks for ur help!

No problem. Are you eligible for contextual offers?
No problem. Are you eligible for contextual offers?

Oh never heard of that before? I just googled it but it just says “wider circumstances”?
Oh never heard of that before? I just googled it but it just says “wider circumstances”?

If you visit some dental websites such as Bristol, Plymouth, Newcastle and Kings, they have contextual offers/ programmes for eligible students where the requirements are lower. I recommend you visit some of these dental school pages and have a read and see if you are an eligible applicant.
If you visit some dental websites such as Bristol, Plymouth, Newcastle and Kings, they have contextual offers/ programmes for eligible students where the requirements are lower. I recommend you visit some of these dental school pages and have a read and see if you are an eligible applicant.

Great! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! You’ve really helped me!
Great! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! You’ve really helped me!

No problem :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest