The Student Room Group

ocr a level chemistry (year 13) help!

Hey! So I do chemistry for my a levels (OCR A) and with the recent changes to exams I’m worried about my grades. I want to get at least an A as that is required for medicine but at the moment I think the most my teachers will predict me due to previous assessments is a B. We have online mocks in a couple of weeks and they said when (if!) we do come back we’ll be having more mocks then. I was wondering if anyone who has achieved an A/A* or is predicted that has any tips as I struggle a lot. The content is usually fine but when it comes to tests, I just don’t do too well.

I usually progress throughout the year and do much better in my real exams than my mocks so the idea that assessments are a lot closer than anticipated is a bit daunting! Any advice would be welcome :smile:
Original post by cbaforausername_
Hey! So I do chemistry for my a levels (OCR A) and with the recent changes to exams I’m worried about my grades. I want to get at least an A as that is required for medicine but at the moment I think the most my teachers will predict me due to previous assessments is a B. We have online mocks in a couple of weeks and they said when (if!) we do come back we’ll be having more mocks then. I was wondering if anyone who has achieved an A/A* or is predicted that has any tips as I struggle a lot. The content is usually fine but when it comes to tests, I just don’t do too well.

I usually progress throughout the year and do much better in my real exams than my mocks so the idea that assessments are a lot closer than anticipated is a bit daunting! Any advice would be welcome :smile:

Hi! I’m applying to medicine too, I’m predicted an A* in my chem. I’d say the best advice I have is to expose yourself to as many ppq as possible (use your notes to do them at the beginning and wean yourself off them). These are great because you will eventually learn what marks each question is asking for and the way the question can be asked. Hope this helps!
Original post by Aethomson
Hi! I’m applying to medicine too, I’m predicted an A* in my chem. I’d say the best advice I have is to expose yourself to as many ppq as possible (use your notes to do them at the beginning and wean yourself off them). These are great because you will eventually learn what marks each question is asking for and the way the question can be asked. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I usually prioritise learning the content and making resources first but I think you’re right and I’ll work on intertwining revision and ppqs together
Thank you! I usually prioritise learning the content and making resources first but I think you’re right and I’ll work on intertwining revision and ppqs together

Yes my favourite way is compiling questions from one topic and doing it that way. So your going through notes for that topic whilst doing the questions :smile: then just move through each topic
Yes my favourite way is compiling questions from one topic and doing it that way. So your going through notes for that topic whilst doing the questions :smile: then just move through each topic

You were very helpful, thank you - and good luck with medicine!
Reply 5

Oh, and definitely have a delve into the synoptic/paper 3 questions, usually they really stretch your thinking by linking multiple topics together at once. Don't forget that other specifications have past papers too, if you run out of OCR A.

Give the Chem Olympiad a look through too - past papers should be available on the RSC website, alongside markschemes for reflection.

Happy revising and best of luck! :smile:
You were very helpful, thank you - and good luck with medicine!

No problem, you too!
Original post by iceberg5
Oh, and definitely have a delve into the synoptic/paper 3 questions, usually they really stretch your thinking by linking multiple topics together at once. Don't forget that other specifications have past papers too, if you run out of OCR A.

Give the Chem Olympiad a look through too - past papers should be available on the RSC website, alongside markschemes for reflection.

Happy revising and best of luck! :smile:

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely be taking your suggestions on board :smile:
Hi guys,
Can anyone help me please. I did A level chemistry in 2017 when I finished exams I throw all books I thought I will not use in future. But now I want to set for exam which require A level chemistry some topics. Can anyone please share or recommend free online PDF ebook (year1 and 2 a level chemistry ocr book) please.
Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sharfijaan
Hi guys,
Can anyone help me please. I did A level chemistry in 2017 when I finished exams I throw all books I thought I will not use in future. But now I want to set for exam which require A level chemistry some topics. Can anyone please share or recommend free online PDF ebook (year1 and 2 a level chemistry ocr book) please.
Thanks

i’m not sure how safe this site is but there’s a site called pdf drive where i found a pdf of my alevel ocr chem textbook it’s the kerboodle one
Original post by Sharfijaan
Hi guys,
Thanks

I’m pretty sure edexcel book pdfs are free online to access
Original post by 1234luna
i’m not sure how safe this site is but there’s a site called pdf drive where i found a pdf of my alevel ocr chem textbook it’s the kerboodle one

Hi,
Thank you. I will check
I’m pretty sure edexcel book pdfs are free online to access

Thank you, I will check Edexcel.

Quick Reply

Latest