The Student Room Group

dropping out of sixth form

I am in my first year of college and I'm studying 3 a levels, media studies, criminology, and sociology. my secondary school teachers always told me that i perform better under non exam conditions which means i do better in course work and that i should chose a more hands on subject and preferably a BTEC, but my stupid self took it as an insult, BTEC seemed like the easy option for those who didnt do well in school. now that im studying 3 ESSAY SUBJECTS, with my only weakness in school being essay writting, im debating wether i did the right thing buy choosing these subjects. in addition i live very far from the college so travel (although not a problem right this second as we're in lockdown using remote learning) is very expensive and tiring as i have to go across london. this leaves me very unmotivated and exhausted. i am really struggling and im even getting warnings of being thrown out due to my poor grades and keeping up with the tons of work. i am thinking to change to a local college that is a short bus ride from home that offers BTECs (as my college doesnt) and study a level 3 business BTEC. i am not too worried about uni as im not very keen on going, so i dont care if thats what unis want. I always wanted to study business but missed my maths grade and had to do all three subjects that i never had the intention of studying. so I'm thinking, should i leave? have a fresh start, study what I'm passionate about, be able to focus on that one subject, be more local but spend that extra year in college but achieve a decent grade rather than finishing my a levels with grades z.

someone help, am i doing the right thing?

ps.i aspire to be a business woman in the future, so i know its something im really passionate about
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I study Maths physics chemistry and sociology so if you need help message me. But in regards to a business degree you don’t have to have studied business as A level business is regarded as a “easy” subject and most of the content is retaught in first year. Try and do as many essay questions as possible and get you’re teacher to mark it for you. Check examiner reports for feedback on questions students found easy or hard.
Reply 2
Original post by D2004
I study Maths physics chemistry and sociology so if you need help message me. But in regards to a business degree you don’t have to have studied business as A level business is regarded as a “easy” subject and most of the content is retaught in first year. Try and do as many essay questions as possible and get you’re teacher to mark it for you. Check examiner reports for feedback on questions students found easy or hard.

i literally said im not interested in uni or any sort of degree. i would be doing business for my own knowledge, not for that scam called uni that sets u up for life with dept and no job guarranteed
Reply 3
Original post by akiakiaki
i literally said im not interested in uni or any sort of degree. i would be doing business for my own knowledge, not for that scam called uni that sets u up for life with dept and no job guarranteed

I would say continue with your subjects as a qualification is better than none. I thought about dropping out because I felt overwhelmed but I started to settle and didn’t feel afraid about asking teachers for help or telling them of my situational as they can be lenient to you.
Exams may be cancelled in 2022 bc of covid19 I reckon stay with A levels

Don't drop out a B/C is A level looks better than a D/M in BTEC
Honestly, there's no shame in not taking a-levels. I'm exactly the same in that I work much better under constant assignment deadlines, rather than exams. I don't learn to just memorise information for a test, I'd rather be able to practically use my information. That being said, I am at uni and will be taking on a postgrad - I can't say it's a scam just because there are so many careers that rely on the heavy learning and skills you develop at uni, but that's just a personal choice.

I know you said you aren't too interested in uni, but even still, switching to a BTEC if you feel your overall educational experience would improve. I very quickly changed my mind over a-levels because I knew after school I wanted to continue studying music. I took a level 2 diploma, level 3, before finishing a third year with a level 3 extended (baring in mind I took three different subjects in music across these) I did zero exams, have only had one since school and that was in first year of uni, and didn't even count very much to my grade for that particular module.

Too much emphasis on a-levels being the be-all and end-all. They really aren't. So if you think it'll make you feel better and achieve more, do it. You won't lose anything.
Original post by TAHEYUNG big d
Exams may be cancelled in 2022 bc of covid19 I reckon stay with A levels

Don't drop out a B/C is A level looks better than a D/M in BTEC

I don't understand where you're getting this information from - they literally are no different to each other. BTEC's are just the more practical version of an a-level - it literally stands for Business and Technology Education Council. If she wants to do business, its a no brainer.
Reply 7
Original post by Manclass98
I don't understand where you're getting this information from - they literally are no different to each other. BTEC's are just the more practical version of an a-level - it literally stands for Business and Technology Education Council. If she wants to do business, its a no brainer.

She doesn’t want to do business for further education she’s just interested in being a businesswoman
Reply 8
Original post by D2004
She doesn’t want to do business for further education she’s just interested in being a businesswoman

also, im really struggling in college and im not shy so i ask teachers for help all the time ,but theres so much context to cover, and im flooping every exam miserably. i know that if i finnish college wirh a levels i will receive a d at best, where as if i did btec i would be able to dedicate all my time into that one field. the school is literally threatening to kick me out and ive got 2/3 strikes required to be kicked out. so the clock is ticking.
Original post by D2004

I understand - but you need the knowledge to become a business person anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by Manclass98
I understand - but you need the knowledge to become a business person anyway.

but I'm doing some quite irrelevant subjects like sociology, criminology and media
but I'm doing some quite irrelevant subjects like sociology, criminology and media

So as I said in the original message - change your course if you think it’ll be more relevant to what you want to do. I’m not saying stay in education with your a-levels, I’m just saying education as a whole will greatly benefit you.
I am in my first year of college and I'm studying 3 a levels, media studies, criminology, and sociology. my secondary school teachers always told me that i perform better under non exam conditions which means i do better in course work and that i should chose a more hands on subject and preferably a BTEC, but my stupid self took it as an insult, BTEC seemed like the easy option for those who didnt do well in school. now that im studying 3 ESSAY SUBJECTS, with my only weakness in school being essay writting, im debating wether i did the right thing buy choosing these subjects. in addition i live very far from the college so travel (although not a problem right this second as we're in lockdown using remote learning) is very expensive and tiring as i have to go across london. this leaves me very unmotivated and exhausted. i am really struggling and im even getting warnings of being thrown out due to my poor grades and keeping up with the tons of work. i am thinking to change to a local college that is a short bus ride from home that offers BTECs (as my college doesnt) and study a level 3 business BTEC. i am not too worried about uni as im not very keen on going, so i dont care if thats what unis want. I always wanted to study business but missed my maths grade and had to do all three subjects that i never had the intention of studying. so I'm thinking, should i leave? have a fresh start, study what I'm passionate about, be able to focus on that one subject, be more local but spend that extra year in college but achieve a decent grade rather than finishing my a levels with grades z.

someone help, am i doing the right thing?

ps.i aspire to be a business woman in the future, so i know its something im really passionate about

I know this isn’t helpful anymore seeing as it was 3 months ago but I, a year 11 student in a similar boat with not knowing what to choose, would have said yes. I think you’ve already made up your mind and if you don’t believe you can really get those results you need then you’re in that mindset and it generally won’t improve, if you understand what I mean. I hope you’re doing well now though and hopefully settled in if you’re still doing the a levels, I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 13
Original post by GeorgiaC0925
I know this isn’t helpful anymore seeing as it was 3 months ago but I, a year 11 student in a similar boat with not knowing what to choose, would have said yes. I think you’ve already made up your mind and if you don’t believe you can really get those results you need then you’re in that mindset and it generally won’t improve, if you understand what I mean. I hope you’re doing well now though and hopefully settled in if you’re still doing the a levels, I wish you the best of luck.

Hey so I actually ended up dropping out and going to a local college. I have a few things to say about my experience. One, I low-key miss my old college even with it being full of weird and quirky people 😂, but I slightly miss that now bc my college now is full of roadmen and people without a personality or a distinct identity. And overall the college I dropped out into is a **** college and is known to be one of the worst in the area. HOWEVER, changing courses and studying something that I actually care about and want to do well in (business btec) has made school a lot more bearable and makes me want to go to school and not miss any work. In the ideal world, I would have restated my education in the old college expect did business btec, however they don’t offer that there so what a bummer. Overall I think it’s going ok, asides my school now being very bland and a place you don’t really wanna linger about in. I hope whatever situation you are in is going well for you, always listen to what your mind and heart is telling you, and go for it, even if it seems scary. Especially if you’re prioritising your education and not ur comfort, school is temporary, qualifications are permanent.
Hey so I actually ended up dropping out and going to a local college. I have a few things to say about my experience. One, I low-key miss my old college even with it being full of weird and quirky people 😂, but I slightly miss that now bc my college now is full of roadmen and people without a personality or a distinct identity. And overall the college I dropped out into is a **** college and is known to be one of the worst in the area. HOWEVER, changing courses and studying something that I actually care about and want to do well in (business btec) has made school a lot more bearable and makes me want to go to school and not miss any work. In the ideal world, I would have restated my education in the old college expect did business btec, however they don’t offer that there so what a bummer. Overall I think it’s going ok, asides my school now being very bland and a place you don’t really wanna linger about in. I hope whatever situation you are in is going well for you, always listen to what your mind and heart is telling you, and go for it, even if it seems scary. Especially if you’re prioritising your education and not ur comfort, school is temporary, qualifications are permanent.

I’m so glad! It sounds like it was the right choice to make. Thanks

Latest