The Student Room Group

Aussie vegans getting vasectomies proves the environmental movement haslost its huma

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHallowvale
Indeed. The original source of the article doesn't even give any data on the number of vegans that are doing this. I'm guessing this is just clickbait.

Just your run of the mill vegan bashing laced with "think of the children" moralising and thinly veiled climate denialism. Really a shockingly poor submission on Napp's part.
Reply 21
Indeed. The original source of the article doesn't even give any data on the number of vegans that are doing this. I'm guessing this is just clickbait.

Interesting line to take, you dislike a story thus its "click bait".
I don't think that it's normal, but being 'non-normal' doesn't automatically make it a mental health issue.

What a lovely faulty syllogism.. no one ever said "because its not normal its a mental health issue" - well aside from you that is.
Reply 22
Original post by Captain Haddock
Just your run of the mill vegan bashing laced with "think of the children" moralising and thinly veiled climate denialism. Really a shockingly poor submission on Napp's part.

What on earth are you on about "climate denialism" or "think of the children"? Talk about shockingly poor submissions, you cant even post a comment without lacing it with half truths and outright lies :lol:
Original post by Napp
What on earth are you on about "climate denialism" or "think of the children"? Talk about shockingly poor submissions, you cant even post a comment without lacing it with half truths and outright lies :lol:

Perhaps you should look into the author of this article, a self-described climate-sceptic with a history of attacking 'eco-alarmists' and downplaying the effects of climate change - having recently been the star speaker at the GWPF's annual event. Now, when I wrote that this piece was thinly veiled climate denialism, I had no idea who wrote this article. I hadn't looked. Do you think it's a crazy coincidence, then, that it turned out to be written by a prominent anti-environmentalist? Or do you think, however hard it might be for you to admit, that I may have been on to something? Because honestly, it's pretty obvious what this guy is trying to get across if you read between the lines. Or just, y'know, read the lines.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Captain Haddock
Perhaps you should look into the author of this article, a self-described climate-sceptic with a history of attacking 'eco-alarmists' and downplaying the effects of climate change - having recently been the star speaker at the GWPF's annual event. Now, when I wrote that this piece was thinly veiled climate denialism, I had no idea who wrote this article. I hadn't looked. Do you think it's a crazy coincidence, then, that it turned out to be written by a prominent anti-environmentalist? Or do you think, however hard it might be for you to admit, that I may have been on to something? Because honestly, it's pretty obvious what this guy is trying to get across if you read between the lines. Or just, y'know, read the lines.

Hang on, before one responds, was your previous comment addressing me or simply the author?
Original post by Napp
Interesting line to take, you dislike a story thus its "click bait".

What a lovely faulty syllogism.. no one ever said "because its not normal its a mental health issue" - well aside from you that is.

I've not called it clickbait because I dislike it, I've called it clickbait because it has little to no information and has a very sensationalist headline.

When I asked, "Why do you think there is some mental issue at play?", your response was, "Is that a joke or do you think castrating yourself for veganism is "normal"?". To me, that sounds like you had been associating normality (or lack thereof) to mental health. My comment about normality was simply to address that. If this wasn't your intention then fair enough, but then that leaves you without any reason as to why this should be considered a mental health issue.
Reply 26
Original post by Napp
Yes, yes its RT and its little more than a puff piece focusing on some of the more weird elements of society. However, it does raise some interesting points (that have previously been noted in other publications) about the truly insane direction the vegan movements going in.
On the one hand, great news for darwinism that such people arent passing on their genes. However, on the other hand, it does raise some interesting questions as to how on earth such simple minds have been led to the conclusion that castrating themselves will somehow "save the world" as opposed to merely providing grave humour for others.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/512557-aussie-vegan-vasectomies-environmental/

ikr. People taking a practical stand relating to their own behaviour, based on their principles. Ridiculous nonsense.
What next, people not eating meat, driving electric cars, not flying anywhere, avoiding single-use plastic? Where will it all end! It's political correctness gone mad I tell you!! And hilarious!!!

BTW, a vasectomy isn't "castration". If you are going to be outraged about nothing again, at least use the correct terminology (although I appreciate that such misrepresentation helps with the outrage).
Reply 27
I think the "I'm not going to do anything until there are enough people doing it to make a difference" approach is part of the problem.
I honestly fear that the world will end with our generation
Reply 29
Original post by Napp
Is that a joke or do you think castrating yourself for veganism is "normal"?

In the UK, there are about 12,000 vasectomies every year. Do you think all those people are mentally ill?
Reply 30
Original post by jackmarshal757
I honestly fear that the world will end with our generation

I honestly hope that the world you hope for ends with your generation. Unfortunately, there will always be plenty of credulous loons intent on kicking the bottom out of their own boat.
Reply 31
Original post by QE2
In the UK, there are about 12,000 vasectomies every year. Do you think all those people are mentally ill?

Are you completely incapable of making a sensible post? Or is this just part of your wee quest for reps?
Here's a better example, seeing as you are incapable of making one that isnt fallacious, would you consider people gelding themselves in the name of Trumpism, Corbynism, or Brexit (as but a few fun examples) compus mentis?
Reply 32
Original post by QE2
ikr. People taking a practical stand relating to their own behaviour, based on their principles. Ridiculous nonsense.
What next, people not eating meat, driving electric cars, not flying anywhere, avoiding single-use plastic? Where will it all end! It's political correctness gone mad I tell you!! And hilarious!!!

BTW, a vasectomy isn't "castration". If you are going to be outraged about nothing again, at least use the correct terminology (although I appreciate that such misrepresentation helps with the outrage).

I'm not entirely certain you know what the term outraged means? :holmes: Although given you seem to be unable to make a comment without some form of indignation (as opposed to this threads amusement, as stated) hypocrisy seems like it should be added to the list of your sins..
Reply 33
Original post by Napp
Are you completely incapable of making a sensible post? Or is this just part of your wee quest for reps?
Here's a better example, seeing as you are incapable of making one that isnt fallacious, would you consider people gelding themselves in the name of Trumpism, Corbynism, or Brexit (as but a few fun examples) compus mentis?

Ok, so you think that having a vasectomy is reasonable, except if the reason is something you disagree with.
So, can you give some idea of what makes a vasectomy reasonable, and what makes it a sign of mental illness?
Thanks.
Reply 34
Original post by Napp
I'm not entirely certain you know what the term outraged means? :holmes: Although given you seem to be unable to make a comment without some form of indignation (as opposed to this threads amusement, as stated) hypocrisy seems like it should be added to the list of your sins..

I'm outraged that you think I'm outraged at your outrage.
Reply 35
Original post by QE2
Ok, so you think that having a vasectomy is reasonable, except if the reason is something you disagree with.
So, can you give some idea of what makes a vasectomy reasonable, and what makes it a sign of mental illness?
Thanks.

Who said i 'disagree' with it? If people want to live as herbivores that is completely up to them :lol: Getting the snip is rightfully a rather risible extension of that ideology though. Something i note you singularly and conspicuously failed to answer given your preposterous first comment :rolleyes:.

Original post by QE2
I'm outraged that you think I'm outraged at your outrage.

Sorry, i've checked all over, i still cant find a single solitary **** to give. My deepest apologies :/
Original post by Napp
Hang on, before one responds, was your previous comment addressing me or simply the author?

The author.
Appealing to nature is a logical fallacy. You posting on a forum isn't "natural" but that doesn't mean to it wrong, modern medicine goes against billions of years of evolution but it is unlikely you would call that bad.
So your entire argument is completely without merit.
Reply 39
Stop doing unnatural things, like posting on an internet forum, and go and hide under a bush until you are too hungry to continue hiding, and then kill something. And have sex once a year.
That is natural behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending