The Student Room Group

A Level RS Essay HELP

'To what extent is Kant’s ethical teaching helpful in resolving all ethical problems'

I desperately need help with the essay questions. Could someone please give any points and scholars to agree and disagree with this question
Thank You
Reply 1
You can find criticisms and defences of Kant in the religious studies OCR Ethics notes here:

https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/
could someone please tell me what the structure for writing an A02 15 marker essay is in religious studies?

for many of my other essay subjects its PEEL, so what exactly is lt for religious studies A02 because i have no idea and i am not doing that great on these question when i know all the information.My teacher said constant argument and i tried doing that but maybe i am doing it wrong , so if some could please provide me with a clear stucture to follow that would be very helpful.
List all the pros of his teachings and cons too. Make some brief notes on the information that is provided on the website. Use the above recommended link as a source of fodder for your essay and build up a entire essay that way.
Reply 4
Original post by uniquelove
could someone please tell me what the structure for writing an A02 15 marker essay is in religious studies?

for many of my other essay subjects its PEEL, so what exactly is lt for religious studies A02 because i have no idea and i am not doing that great on these question when i know all the information.My teacher said constant argument and i tried doing that but maybe i am doing it wrong , so if some could please provide me with a clear stucture to follow that would be very helpful.

for AQA AO2 15 mark questions:

Intro:
What the general topic is about
What the question is asking about that topic
What the different sides to the debate are
What your answer to the question is going to be.

Three paragraphs of this structure:
Part 1: A view on the question; an argument/theory/scholar which is either for or against the question.
Part 2: A criticism of what was stated in part 1.
Part 3: Either a defence against the criticism or move straight to part 4.
Part 4: Your judgement as to which side of this debate wins and why
Part 5: Explaining what answer that gives to the essay question.

Conclusion:
Because X happened in paragraph 1, Y happened in paragraph 2 and Z happened in paragraph 3, my overall answer to the question therefore is ....
Original post by Joe312
for AQA AO2 15 mark questions:

Intro:
What the general topic is about
What the question is asking about that topic
What the different sides to the debate are
What your answer to the question is going to be.

Three paragraphs of this structure:
Part 1: A view on the question; an argument/theory/scholar which is either for or against the question.
Part 3: Either a defence against the criticism or move straight to part 4.

Conclusion:
Because X happened in paragraph 1, Y happened in paragraph 2 and Z happened in paragraph 3, my overall answer to the question therefore is ....

Thank you !
Is this what you mean i should do ?
-There are some who suggest that the ethics of divine command theory is the best way to approach ethical decisions because it is straightforward and clear.
-Be that as it may , many argue that this not the case because even if moral commands were derived from God we cannot tell that they came from God.
Part 3: Either a defence against the criticism or move straight to part 4.( i had neither so went part 4)
-As a result of this we can conclude that the argument in favour of the divine command theory being a good approach is based on clarity and straightforwardness is made redundantly weak because we cannot not know for sure who really put forward those commands in the bible and there are issues with biblical text which means we cannot use it to make decisions if it is flawed and our aim is to make good decisions.
-This suggests that the ethics of divine command theory is not the best approach for ethical decisions.
Reply 6
Original post by uniquelove
Thank you !
Is this what you mean i should do ?
-There are some who suggest that the ethics of divine command theory is the best way to approach ethical decisions because it is straightforward and clear.
-Be that as it may , many argue that this not the case because even if moral commands were derived from God we cannot tell that they came from God.
Part 3: Either a defence against the criticism or move straight to part 4.( i had neither so went part 4)
-As a result of this we can conclude that the argument in favour of the divine command theory being a good approach is based on clarity and straightforwardness is made redundantly weak because we cannot not know for sure who really put forward those commands in the bible and there are issues with biblical text which means we cannot use it to make decisions if it is flawed and our aim is to make good decisions.
-This suggests that the ethics of divine command theory is not the best approach for ethical decisions.

Yes that's good. Though the argument in part one isn't very detailed. It would be better to develop it by explaining why we need clear straightforward commands, for example what would be the bad consequences for society of our not having them.
Hi,
I need some help answering this question- There is no such thing as God -given conscious 15 mark)

paragraph one i stated:
Aquinas would disagree with the idea of there being no such thing as god given conscious because he believe that conscious was the god given faculty of reason. In this he applied his synderesis rule about the how e we all have an innate desire to want to do good.
i countered by saying that people commit immoral action so this rule i s wrong and if conscious is god given then we should do good actions only because god is perfect so our conscious should also be in a state of perfection
counter- was that Aquinas stated our conscious can make mistakes
but if it is god give then there should be no errors.

Now for my second and third paragraph i am stuck on what to say. In my second paragraph i was going talk about Freud and counter with butler but I do not know what to say about any of them( could support Freud with Fromm's belief of conscience being instilled by authority)
an i have nothing for my third paragraph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending