The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by basilpl4nt
Mainly just worried that I'm not cut out for medicine and that by taking the A-levels I mentioned I am setting myself on that path with no way out... I question whether I want to to take something else, but I don't have an actual idea of something else, if that makes sense, and I fear I am taking medicine by default in the absence of something else...

Hardly - you could do any life science degree, pretty much, and a lot of humanities degrees (eg Law) don't have subject requirements.
Might be worth spending some time looking into other degrees, to see if you can find something you like better? This is quite a good website: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biochemistry (went with biochem as it's one of the "obvious" alternatives to med)
Ultimately it's up to you but you have plenty of time to decide. See what A levels are like too. I also wouldn't worry too much about "losing the best years of your life studying" - medics work hard and play hard, plus you gain 2 or 3 years at uni :wink:
Hi!

I am currently a gcse student and I am going to be applying for medicine in 2023, I need some help on choosing my A level subjects.

Of course Biology and Chemistry are required for A level. I am really good at maths and enjoy it a lot (I got a grade 9 in maths GCSE I did it a year early as our school offers an accelerated program). However our school is making us choose 4 subjects, I’m not sure what to choose.

My top preference is taking this 4th a level subject for AS level and then dropping it for A2. I’m not sure what to choose, I initially thought A level physics however everyone says it’s really hard at A level and there’s no point in risking the pressure.

Any advice?
Original post by zain SHarif
Hi!

I am currently a gcse student and I am going to be applying for medicine in 2023, I need some help on choosing my A level subjects.

Of course Biology and Chemistry are required for A level. I am really good at maths and enjoy it a lot (I got a grade 9 in maths GCSE I did it a year early as our school offers an accelerated program). However our school is making us choose 4 subjects, I’m not sure what to choose.

My top preference is taking this 4th a level subject for AS level and then dropping it for A2. I’m not sure what to choose, I initially thought A level physics however everyone says it’s really hard at A level and there’s no point in risking the pressure.

Any advice?

Why is your school making you do 4 alevels? I thought 3 was the compulsory and 4 was optional
Original post by zain SHarif
Hi!

Any advice?

Maths is a good choice to take as your third a-level.

Personally, I wouldn't take physics to AS as it is difficult. You could go for any subject since it's only AS - this could be geography, economics, history, rs etc. it doesn't really matter. Just choose the subject you think you will be the easiest to get an A in .
has made a thread here about medical school entry requirements and queries about subject combinations for medicine: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 and in the OP of that thread is all the information you will possibly need. I would recommend reading at least the OP of that thread if not going through some of the discussions within it as well.

Taking A-level Biology and Chemistry gives you the widest possible range of medical schools to choose from, other than Cambridge, and no medical schools except Cambridge care about what your final A-level subject is. Cambridge do require three STEM subjects at A-level (the final one can be maths or physics, some colleges might specify maths but there are plenty that don't specify which).

Since that is only one medical school, there isn't much point in taking a third STEM A-level purely for medicine application purposes. Your best bet is to choose your third (and fourth) subject(s) on the basis of something that you will enjoy and are good at, as that will translate to you doing well in it, which is the most important thing, because you will need to get an A or A* in that subject.

Note that as you only need three A-levels for applying to university (including medicine) and you do not get "bonus points" for taking extra A-levels (in general, I think Cardiff medicine might but they are an exception), there is no benefit to taking an extra A-level. So I think since your school requires you start with four, you should stick with your plan of dropping one ASAP in year 12. Having the extra subject in year 12 does give you a little flexibility in picking two A-levels you're interested in but can't decide between, and gauging your interest and achievement in them over that year to decide which is best to continue in year 13.
Original post by Yazomi
Why is your school making you do 4 alevels? I thought 3 was the compulsory and 4 was optional

No idea 🤷
Original post by Incede
Maths is a good choice to take as your third a-level.

Personally, I wouldn't take physics to AS as it is difficult. You could go for any subject since it's only AS - this could be geography, economics, history, rs etc. it doesn't really matter. Just choose the subject you think you will be the easiest to get an A in .

Ok thanks
Original post by artful_lounger
@ecolier has made a thread here about medical school entry requirements and queries about subject combinations for medicine: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 and in the OP of that thread is all the information you will possibly need. I would recommend reading at least the OP of that thread if not going through some of the discussions within it as well.

Taking A-level Biology and Chemistry gives you the widest possible range of medical schools to choose from, other than Cambridge, and no medical schools except Cambridge care about what your final A-level subject is. Cambridge do require three STEM subjects at A-level (the final one can be maths or physics, some colleges might specify maths but there are plenty that don't specify which).

Since that is only one medical school, there isn't much point in taking a third STEM A-level purely for medicine application purposes. Your best bet is to choose your third (and fourth) subject(s) on the basis of something that you will enjoy and are good at, as that will translate to you doing well in it, which is the most important thing, because you will need to get an A or A* in that subject.

Note that as you only need three A-levels for applying to university (including medicine) and you do not get "bonus points" for taking extra A-levels (in general, I think Cardiff medicine might but they are an exception), there is no benefit to taking an extra A-level. So I think since your school requires you start with four, you should stick with your plan of dropping one ASAP in year 12. Having the extra subject in year 12 does give you a little flexibility in picking two A-levels you're interested in but can't decide between, and gauging your interest and achievement in them over that year to decide which is best to continue in year 13.
im going into college/sixth form this year and i need help on what courses to take to help get me there. i would like advice on both
You forgot to say (the one we are in now) :cry2:
Hi guys so basically have to make up my mind on what advanced highers/ highers I want to do for S6.
I am thinking about medicine or biomed or biochemistry at uni.
I currently take highers in maths, chemistry, biology, geography and English.
I was thinking next year of doing AH bio and chem then maybe statistical maths but like I’m sort of thinking that might be impossible...
I have the option to do a crash higher in environmental science if I want instead of AH statistics but would that put me at a disadvantage for applying to uni? (As maths would be more relevant.)

Also does anyone have any good websites for medicine virtual work experience?
virtual work experience check out BSMS and ObserveGP

actually if you check Scottish medical schools, there are no subject requirements for AH only for National 5 and Higher; they only have grade requirements of 3Bs or 2Bs (Glasgow is weird in that if you take 3 AHs the offer is 3Bs but if you take 2AHs + 1 crash Higher then the offer is AB at AHs + B in crash higher)
on the other hand if you are interested in medical schools in England/Wales/Northern Ireland then they explicity state they want AH biology and chemistry alongside another science at AH all at As

I know people who got in with AH bio and chem + higher psychology; another one with AH bio, chem and music, someone else with AH bio,chem and english for Scottish medical schools
(edited 3 years ago)
No that’s my favourite line :yes:
Let’s say for a levels I choose criminology, psychology and sociology then when it’s time to apply for universities, I apply for a medical degree (foundation). even though none of these a level subjects are science based, could I still get accepted? What would the universities expect me to get at a levels?
I can’t do a science based subjects as none of my grades do not meet the entry requirements for a levels
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jae jae
Let’s say for a levels I choose criminology, psychology and sociology then when it’s time to apply for universities, I apply for a medical degree (foundation). even though none of these a level subjects are science based, could I still get accepted? What would the universities expect me to get at a levels?
I can’t do a science based subjects as none of my grades do not meet the entry requirements for a levels

Very unlikely, e.g. Leicester with foundation year: “predicted or obtained minimum A-level grades of BBB in Chemistry or Biology, and one of Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths or Psychology, and a third subject excluding General Studies, Critical Thinking, Citizenship Studies or Global Perspectives”
I think all of them would require at least one of biology or chem

P.s. , moved this to the medicine forum as I don’t have powers to move the post into the medicine a-levels thread :colondollar:
I believe Manchester will accept as you shouldn’t do bio and chem and meet certain grades with sociology criminology and psychology. So you can for Manchester but I recommend you to search it up.
Also, don’t you want to make your subject s a bit more varied? Psychology sociology and criminology heavily overlap with each other. Can you change one of them at least?
Original post by jae jae

There are 4 courses you can apply for with non-science A levels, but they will all want AAA minimum - Newcastle A100, Manchester, Cardiff and Dundee A104. But Manchester require 7 x 7+ at GCSE and both Cardiff and Dundee will use GCSE's during scoring, with Cardiff, in particular, requiring mainly 8/9s, so unless you have excellent GCSEs, your options are essentially only Newcastle, I'm afraid, and they have needed a UCAT of 2830 this year for an interview (top 12% of applicants).
You are better re-sitting GCSEs and then doing chem and bio plus a 3rd A level and applying for standard A100 courses.
Other Foundation Courses are for people with WP flags and mostly need science A levels, as discussed.
Original post by stereotypeasian
virtual work experience check out BSMS and ObserveGP

actually if you check Scottish medical schools, there are no subject requirements for AH only for National 5 and Higher; they only have grade requirements of 3Bs or 2Bs (Glasgow is weird in that if you take 3 AHs the offer is 3Bs but if you take 2AHs + 1 crash Higher then the offer is AB at AHs + B in crash higher)
on the other hand if you are interested in medical schools in England/Wales/Northern Ireland then they explicity state they want AH biology and chemistry alongside another science at AH all at As

I know people who got in with AH bio and chem + higher psychology; another one with AH bio, chem and music, someone else with AH bio,chem and english for Scottish medical schools

Thank you so much that was really helpful :smile:
THANK YOUUUU!! you are all so helpful <3
Original post by Fisnbs
Thank you so much that was really helpful :smile:

happy to help you on your med journey from one Scot to another either on megathreads/PMs are open :biggrin:
(yes I know my TSR name says otherwise 😂)
i have been researching courses around the uk and looking fot some whcih do not require alevel chemistry for medicine as it not my strong point. i have found mnay courses which allow biology and maths or physics at a level instaed however a lot of people are telling me that chemistry is necesary even though the university requiremnts are stating that i dont necesarilly need chemistry. am i able to apply to these courses at leeds, manchester, UEA and more if i dont take a level chemistry and meet the requirments on the universities website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending