The Student Room Group

DWP work coach application - 500 words

Hi guys, i am looking for some help from anyone who have successfully gone through the process, i am finding it difficult to put together 500 words trying to tick the right boxes, i have written the statement i am required but i am worried given the pandemic we are all in and the amount of jobs lost, i am sure number of job application for the same i am looking to apply would be crazy and any help to make my application stand out to have a better chance would be deeply helpful. many thanks

any examples would be great
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by James21234
Hi guys, i am looking for some help from anyone who have successfully gone through the process, i am finding it difficult to put together 500 words trying to tick the right boxes, i have written the statement i am required but i am worried given the pandemic we are all in and the amount of jobs lost, i am sure number of job application for the same i am looking to apply would be crazy and any help to make my application stand out to have a better chance would be deeply helpful. many thanks

I used two examples of the behaviour - and used the STAR method (with the headings) for each example. I used exactly 500 words, after a bit of tweaking. Keep it simple, cut out any superfluous stuff and make sure that you are succinct but completely on point with each example. Good Luck.
Original post by Amanda5806*
I used two examples of the behaviour - and used the STAR method (with the headings) for each example. I used exactly 500 words, after a bit of tweaking. Keep it simple, cut out any superfluous stuff and make sure that you are succinct but completely on point with each example. Good Luck.

Hi, @Amanda5806* is giving good advice. You can use one or more examples-my step son used 2 but many others use just one, rather depends on what examples are and whether one covers all of the elements. Be sure to use the descriptors on pages 3 & 4 of the Civil Service Behaviours 2018 that will have been embedded in the advert
The most important thing is to say what part you played to influence outcomes and HOW you did things, so 'I used persuasive language to influence.....' or 'I spoke quietly and showed empathy...', or 'I used open questions to...'. Always say that you volunteered, not that you were 'given a task'. They are looking for BEHAVIOUR not task management
I used 3 short examples of the behaviour and I got through.
Reply 4
Thank you so much guys, I have submitted my application with behaviour examples, i was asked to complete a SJT test online within 24hrs which i just completed. Just wondering how long does one know if they have been succesfull to the next stage? where you do a recorded interview, lastly has anyone here done one of those recorded tests? may i ask what sortof questions can one expect if anyone remembers.. many thanks
Thank you so much guys, I have submitted my application with behaviour examples, i was asked to complete a SJT test online within 24hrs which i just completed. Just wondering how long does one know if they have been succesfull to the next stage? where you do a recorded interview, lastly has anyone here done one of those recorded tests? may i ask what sortof questions can one expect if anyone remembers.. many thanks

Hi, process is that if you pass SJT they will mark your 500 words and if score is high enough you'll be invited to interview :-)

6 Q's, 2 on each of the 3 Behaviours (Managing a Q Service, Communicating & Influencing, Making Effective Decisions)
Reply 6
Original post by SharonMoxon
Hi, process is that if you pass SJT they will mark your 500 words and if score is high enough you'll be invited to interview :-)

6 Q's, 2 on each of the 3 Behaviours (Managing a Q Service, Communicating & Influencing, Making Effective Decisions)

Thank you for coming back to me, out of curiosity do you remember when you did yours as to what kindof questions they might ask?

i need to submit my test today by 6, any help is deeply helpful.
Thank you for coming back to me, out of curiosity do you remember when you did yours as to what kindof questions they might ask?

i need to submit my test today by 6, any help is deeply helpful.

Sorry, I didn't see this before 6.hope you were ok
Reply 8
Hey Guys, Thank you so much for all the advise. I haven't logged in recently.. Just a bit of update, I went through my online application, submitted my 500 words, not received any feedback but was asked to carry out a SJT. I did the online test same day & passed it, Following that I was asked to do online video interview. I was quite nervous when it came to online interview which i think i didnt do too well at. Anyhow few days later they sent me a link to carry out a ID check, before 30 mins I was meant o do a ID check they sent a email saying i'll be put on the reserve list as there were better candidates, Anyhow I still did the ID check, day later they sent me a provisional offer & are currently going through Pre-employment checks.

I am quite confused to whether I stand a chance of hopefully securing the position or will they go through all process & eventually decline me & put me back on the reserve list?
Reply 9
Hey Guys, Thank you so much for all the advise. I haven't logged in recently.. Just a bit of update, I went through my online application, submitted my 500 words, not received any feedback but was asked to carry out a SJT. I did the online test same day & passed it, Following that I was asked to do online video interview. I was quite nervous when it came to online interview which i think i didnt do too well at. Anyhow few days later they sent me a link to carry out a ID check, before 30 mins I was meant o do a ID check they sent a email saying i'll be put on the reserve list as there were better candidates, Anyhow I still did the ID check, day later they sent me a provisional offer & are currently going through Pre-employment checks.

I am quite confused to whether I stand a chance of hopefully securing the position or will they go through all process & eventually decline me & put me back on the reserve list?

Hi James,

how did it end up going for you? Did you get an offer after being on reserve? :smile:
hi is there anyone here who can help me with the 500 word essay, like an example essay of which I can base a template off? Thanks you
Original post by Desai717
hi is there anyone here who can help me with the 500 word essay, like an example essay of which I can base a template off? Thanks you

I'm also in the same boat! :smile: I read from previous applicants/CS employees that as long as you follow the STAR format and focus your points on the 'communicating and influencing' part, it should be on the right track. Some people who got through only used 2 examples and others said they used 3-4 so I guess there's no strict guideline?
Reply 12
Original post by Covington4

Hi so used 3 examples in total 500 words?
Reply 13

Hello James,please I need your help. I want to apply for this role.i did the first application few months ago,I passed the SJT but not the 500 words statement. Please can you help,I need this job badly 😢
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Reply 14
Original post by Covington4

Can I ask how you actually started the application, before going onto examples of behaviour please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending