The Student Room Group

Need a new hobby? Try calligraphy!

So it's lockdown, we're all at home and I don't know about you but it can be pretty dull doing the same old same old all day every day. :bebored: So why not take up a new hobby? There are sooo many choices out there, but if you need a place to start, I think calligraphy is a pretty great option. :yep:

I started hand-lettering (a type of modern calligraphy) in lockdown 1.0 which seems SO long ago. :eek: It was just before the lockdown was announced and so I went to The Works and picked up loads of those little craft kits, one of those was a calligraphy kit. I fell in love with it and have been doing it pretty much every day since and now I even sell a few of my creations. :teehee:

So why calligraphy?

It is so relaxing! Your brain just switches off and focuses on getting those beautiful thin upstrokes, thick downstrokes... sometimes creating a nice bounce with the letters. :daydreaming: It's a good way to get rid of the screens and just chill. Plus it's so pretty.

How do I get started?

Get a little kit! E.g. from The Works, Hobbycraft, Amazon. At first you just need to play with pens to learn the angle and flows. You don't have to go straight in with the good pens because a) they're expensive and you don't want to waste your money if you don't enjoy it and b) you'll probably ruin the pens as you won't know how to use them properly (as I did!). :oops:

What do I need?

Depends what type you want to do! For brush-pen calligraphy, I recommend:

- These black pens. 3 thicknesses, perfect for getting the hang of the flow. They're really flexible so are good for beginners.
- These dual dip pens (not necessarily these colours, but this type). These are good for practicing the difference between an upstroke and downstroke. They aren't good quality so these would be perfect for a total beginner as you can play around with them.
- These Tombow brush pens. A hard one and a soft one. These are good for if you're a beginner but know the basics.

For dip-pen calligraphy:

I'm quite new to this myself but I personally wouldn't recommend starting this until you're familiar with brush-pen, just because it's a bit more expensive and you really need to know the flow of the letters before you start with nibs. However, that's just my preference so if you prefer more traditional calligraphy - go for it!

- The Nikko G or Leonardt Crown nib. Both great for beginners
- A nib holder, such as this one. If you're right-handed, you might prefer an oblique one. If you're a leftie (like me) those ones aren't recommended!
- Some type of ink, like this.

The type of paper/card is also really important. :judge: You need smooth paper - the higher the GSM the better! For starting out and playing around, printer paper would work but if you want to really get into it, invest in some good quality card or paper. You'll really notice the difference. Rough paper can damage the tips and nibs so you need to be careful.

One last thing to note - practice makes perfect! This is where I started and this is where I am now. Keep trying!

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
That’s so cool!
love it!
Original post by Cheesecake04
That’s so cool!

Isn't it?! I get inventive sometimes and use watercolours for cool backgrounds. You can do so much!
Original post by laurawatt
love it!

:woohoo:
Amazing info, thank you :biggrin:

Loveeee the photos to show progress :love:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Amazing info, thank you :biggrin:

Loveeee the photos to show progress :love:

I'm so glad I took photos as I practiced. Some days it can feel like I haven't learned a thing if I make a lot of mistakes, but looking back I can see such an improvement. Makes all the difference sometimes!
Original post by DrawTheLine
I'm so glad I took photos as I practiced. Some days it can feel like I haven't learned a thing if I make a lot of mistakes, but looking back I can see such an improvement. Makes all the difference sometimes!

PRSOM :biggrin:

Which is your favourite piece that you've done? :smile:
scan 2.png

Ooh hard question, I've just spent a good 10 minutes scrolling through all my photos to decide. :rofl:I think if I had to choose it would be this one as it's the first one that I finished and was entirely happy with straight away. Normally with the things I make I'm always forcing myself to say "right that bit isn't good but ignore that because overall it's fine" but with this I was pleased straight away :smile:

Original post by BurstingBubbles
PRSOM :biggrin:

Which is your favourite piece that you've done? :smile:
Original post by DrawTheLine
scan 2.png

Ooh hard question, I've just spent a good 10 minutes scrolling through all my photos to decide. :rofl:I think if I had to choose it would be this one as it's the first one that I finished and was entirely happy with straight away. Normally with the things I make I'm always forcing myself to say "right that bit isn't good but ignore that because overall it's fine" but with this I was pleased straight away :smile:

Ooh this is good
Original post by tinygirl96
Ooh this is good

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending