The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

BAME at Uni of Southampton

Hi, I have an offer from Southampton to start in September 2021. I was just wondering if anyone who is an ethnic minority/POC/BAME student who is planning to go? Also, if any current students there can tell me what the diversity is like? Perhaps also what the ACS is like? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by kjandles
Hi, I have an offer from Southampton to start in September 2021. I was just wondering if anyone who is an ethnic minority/POC/BAME student who is planning to go? Also, if any current students there can tell me what the diversity is like? Perhaps also what the ACS is like? :smile:

Never been there but the city itself is rather diverse, so I assume the Uni would follow. Check out their website for diversity stats/info. Also good to see their socials (twitter etc) give u a bigger insight into real student life there. :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
i’m planning to go there also!
Reply 3
Original post by tenixx
i’m planning to go there also!

That’s great! :smile: What do you plan to study?

It’s sortof diverse and sortof isn’t. Really depends on the course as some are a lot more diverse than others and a lot of people tend to be from southern England as well - the societies are typically quite diverse like the obvious ACS etc

What course are you going to study?
Reply 5
That’s great! :smile: What do you plan to study?

biochemistry, you?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
It’s sortof diverse and sortof isn’t. Really depends on the course as some are a lot more diverse than others and a lot of people tend to be from southern England as well - the societies are typically quite diverse like the obvious ACS etc

What course are you going to study?

I’m going to do History, I don’t really expect it to be a diverse course and it’s not really an issue for me - it’s just more about the uni in general. It’d just be nice to meet a variety of people from different cultures and places :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by tenixx
biochemistry, you?

History! Maybe one day we’ll meet in ACS hahaha :smile:
Reply 8
History! Maybe one day we’ll meet in ACS hahaha :smile:

let’s hope so!! i’m defo gonna join :smile: what accom are you thinking of applying for?
Hi as a British Asian from the south I reckon Southampton would be fine.
I heard racism in North England but hardly anything down south at all actually.
If you hear racism it will probably just be a few one off things
I’m going to do History, I don’t really expect it to be a diverse course and it’s not really an issue for me - it’s just more about the uni in general. It’d just be nice to meet a variety of people from different cultures and places :smile:

Generally you’ll be fine then, there’s definitely more diverse places (e.g. London, Birmingham, Manchester) but there’s nothing really harmful going on in soton. Majority of people on my course were white but they all tended to have v open minds, and most people I became friends with were POC from certain modules or societies - you’ll basically have the opportunity to find people you vibe with
Anyone trying to make a GC FOR SOUTHAMPTON 2021 STUDENTS right now

Hi @kjandles

Congratulations on receiving your offer from the University of Southampton! :smile:

I'm an English and History student and have just finished my second year of studies here. I'd say that Uni of Southampton (as well as the wider Southampton city) is a pretty diverse place and the university itself has a pledge to ensure that it remains an inclusive community where every student is treated equally (you can check it out here).

The student union has over 40 international and POC/BAME societies so that everyone can connect and make friends, if you're interested in looking more into this you can find a list of these societies here. The university also has many other societies where you can make new friends - this includes course specific societies such as the History Society!

Please let me know if you have anymore questions about general student life or what the uni of Southampton is like! Congratulations again on your offer to study history - I'm a joint honours history student too so don't hesitate to ask me any questions about the course either :smile:

Anna
2nd Year English and History Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending