The Student Room Group

Mpharm Nottingham

Hi, I have an interview for pharmacy at Nottingham soon. I’ve already been preparing over the past week, I have 9 days till I have it. However, I need a little more guidance as it approaches in terms of which parts to focus on the most. Specific, pharmacy related questions they might ask etc. Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by linabhari
Hi, I have an interview for pharmacy at Nottingham soon. I’ve already been preparing over the past week, I have 9 days till I have it. However, I need a little more guidance as it approaches in terms of which parts to focus on the most. Specific, pharmacy related questions they might ask etc. Thank you

When did you submit your UCAS application? I'm not sure about Nottingham, but East Anglia and kent are quite chill so I don't think you should worry. They may refer to your personal statement so have that memorized. They did group activities last year so I'm not sure about this year. Is it going to be a face to face interview?
Reply 2
Original post by Ohnourlp
When did you submit your UCAS application? I'm not sure about Nottingham, but East Anglia and kent are quite chill so I don't think you should worry. They may refer to your personal statement so have that memorized. They did group activities last year so I'm not sure about this year. Is it going to be a face to face interview?

Hi, I sent it off end of November. It’s on zoom, and also I applied to mcr, Birmingham(brum doesn’t do interviews), UCLAN and bath

Hey, I'm currently a 2nd Year MPharm student at the University of Nottingham. I can still remember a bit of my application interview, so I'll write down anything that can help.

The interview was MMI (multi-mini interview) style with several different stations. You'll rotate between the stations after a fixed amount of time. Typically, it will be a one-to-one discussion at each station, although for the "work" stations you'll mostly just be answering some questions rather than having an actual conversation. For those stations you just need to know your stuff; basic mental calculations, basic GCSE chemistry etc. I do remember tripping up on the chemistry station because my mind just blanked and I couldn't figure out a basic equation involving calcium carbonate (whoops), but as long as you can answer some of the chemistry questions, you should be ok. The content won't be hard but you'll be expected to do it from memory; no textbooks or Google.

IIRC, one of the stations asked about any knowledge you already had about pharmacy practice. In that station, I talked about everything I learned during a day of shadowing I did at a local pharmacy. The question they will ask should be quite open-ended, because they want to know what you know already about pharmacy. This means you can more or less just talk about everything you know about pharmacy practice in no particular order. The admission staff operate on the presumption that most people don't know a lot about "real" pharmacy (most peolple won't have hands-on experience), so having some shadowing or work experience at a pharmacy to back up your discussions about pharmacy practice would be invaluable. I think I did well on that station and it made up for my poorer performance at the other stations, so that station is quite important.

Hope I helped!

i have mine tommorow and im so scared!!! i havent done maths in 2 years so im bricking it
Original post by prissgannon
i have mine tommorow and im so scared!!! i havent done maths in 2 years so im bricking it

i have mine in a couple of weeks and im super nervy too rip
but dw you'll do great! as long as you be yourself and do your best, that's all you can really do tbh, but I wish you all the best for tomorrow - make sure to get plenty of sleep (only if you can lol), stay hydrated, eat really well and try not to stress tm (ik easier said than done)!! you got this b :wink:
omg can u be my friend :smile:

I have mine next Wednesday and just started to prepare... I'm screwed
btw good luck and believe in yourself! get enough of rest and try not to stress yourself :smile:
omg can u be my friend :smile:

yess ofc queennn✋🏼🤧
Original post by blublufishyoga
I have mine next Wednesday and just started to prepare... I'm screwed
btw good luck and believe in yourself! get enough of rest and try not to stress yourself :smile:

wishing you all the best and try to take your own advice!! just remember that, if they don't want you for you, it wasn't meant to be - stay slaying miss gurlll purrr😌😛💓
you are actually the sweetest ever! good luck to you too, hopefully we can be at the same uni:tongue:. where have u applied? my fave is brummy i think. xx
you are actually the sweetest ever! good luck to you too, hopefully we can be at the same uni:tongue:. where have u applied? my fave is brummy i think. xx

OMG HAHAHA NO WAYYY ME TOOO
i've applied to brum, notts, mcr, bath and aston - not completely sure which one is my first tho but most likely wanna stay here in Birmingham
Reply 12
Original post by Doubtful Joy
Hey, I'm currently a 2nd Year MPharm student at the University of Nottingham. I can still remember a bit of my application interview, so I'll write down anything that can help.

The interview was MMI (multi-mini interview) style with several different stations. You'll rotate between the stations after a fixed amount of time. Typically, it will be a one-to-one discussion at each station, although for the "work" stations you'll mostly just be answering some questions rather than having an actual conversation. For those stations you just need to know your stuff; basic mental calculations, basic GCSE chemistry etc. I do remember tripping up on the chemistry station because my mind just blanked and I couldn't figure out a basic equation involving calcium carbonate (whoops), but as long as you can answer some of the chemistry questions, you should be ok. The content won't be hard but you'll be expected to do it from memory; no textbooks or Google.

IIRC, one of the stations asked about any knowledge you already had about pharmacy practice. In that station, I talked about everything I learned during a day of shadowing I did at a local pharmacy. The question they will ask should be quite open-ended, because they want to know what you know already about pharmacy. This means you can more or less just talk about everything you know about pharmacy practice in no particular order. The admission staff operate on the presumption that most people don't know a lot about "real" pharmacy (most peolple won't have hands-on experience), so having some shadowing or work experience at a pharmacy to back up your discussions about pharmacy practice would be invaluable. I think I did well on that station and it made up for my poorer performance at the other stations, so that station is quite important.

Hope I helped!

Thank you so so much!!!! Overall, are they friendly at the interview or is it quiet intimidating?
soooooo, i just had my interview!!!! it was okay... but i basically got all the maths wrong even tho it was easy. its simple conversions ( like ml to l and g to mg). hopefully i did okay! how awks tho my doorbell rang and my dog started barking so i had to go and get the door and he saw my pj bottoms. oops.

they arent that intimidating but its still scary. overall the questions arent hard and they are really just looking to have a convo and see what u are about. good luck to everyone xxxx

Original post by jcarreon
OMG HAHAHA NO WAYYY ME TOOO
i've applied to brum, notts, mcr, bath and aston - not completely sure which one is my first tho but most likely wanna stay here in Birmingham
Reply 14
Did you guys have to put your camera on?
Reply 15
Original post by Hxfi
Did you guys have to put your camera on?

From what I’ve heard, it’s optional x
soooooo, i just had my interview!!!! it was okay... but i basically got all the maths wrong even tho it was easy. its simple conversions ( like ml to l and g to mg). hopefully i did okay! how awks tho my doorbell rang and my dog started barking so i had to go and get the door and he saw my pj bottoms. oops.

they arent that intimidating but its still scary. overall the questions arent hard and they are really just looking to have a convo and see what u are about. good luck to everyone xxxx

yay!!! that's good! bahahaha rah ur pjs unoooo
but really glad to hear it mostly went great and im sure you smashed it :smile:
i think there will always be a point where you might slip up, but if you keep going and pick yourself up, you're all good <3
it's always gonna be a scary experience, but try to use it as a learning one too, something to improve yourself on ygm
so what was the structure of the interview then? do they still do different 'stations' or like how do the ask you the questions?
Thank you so so much!!!! Overall, are they friendly at the interview or is it quiet intimidating?

From my perspective they were quite friendly. I did my interview a few years ago so it was in a face-to-face setting (not sure how they are going to do it this year) and even when I got stuck on the chemistry station they were really helpful and told me to take my time. Since its a one-to-one at each station (rather than a one-to-panel that I hear they do at Oxford/Cambridge), it won't feel particularly intimidating. Keep your cool, be polite and try to have natural conversations in the relevant stations and you will do fine.

Good luck!
Reply 18
Original post by Doubtful Joy
From my perspective they were quite friendly. I did my interview a few years ago so it was in a face-to-face setting (not sure how they are going to do it this year) and even when I got stuck on the chemistry station they were really helpful and told me to take my time. Since its a one-to-one at each station (rather than a one-to-panel that I hear they do at Oxford/Cambridge), it won't feel particularly intimidating. Keep your cool, be polite and try to have natural conversations in the relevant stations and you will do fine.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!!! Just one more question, are u enjoying the MPharm course so far?
Thank you so much!!! Just one more question, are u enjoying the MPharm course so far?

I'm quite enjoying it, yes. We've missed out on some stuff because of the lockdown, but from pre-lockdown times it was fun and engaging. However, the difficulty really ramps up after the first semester (which is mainly for introductions and A-level recap) so if you do go for Pharmacy, keep that in mind! There is a LOT to learn!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending