The Student Room Group

Crime in London

I’m starting uni in London in September and the one big thing I’m kinda stressing about is crime in London. I’m from Birmingham so I’ve been around my fair share of rough areas and crimes, but obviously London is known for having a pretty high crime rate. Is there anyone here who lives in London who can just let me know what it’s like once you’re there and how can I try my best to avoid it?
I'm from east London near central London. My advice is keep aware. Be street smart etc. If you have a bicycle lock it up well etc. My bike had wheels stolen etc. Don't walk around with your phone in your hand. Keep your money in your pocket, ideally a zipped pocket. Don't stare at people and don't get involved in something that is not your problem. Learn to say no, because people will approach you with random things. Few days ago someone said " can I show you some magic" which is a bit odd considering I was outside the old Kent road Tesco at 11pm at night. I said no. Try not to be alone at night. Try not to go to quiet areas at night. Apart from that you should be alright. I nearly got robbed for my phone when I was 15 on my way back from school because I took a shortcut in an alleyway, which proved to be a bad mistake. Got away by saying loudly I wanna get home and acting like I was gonna cry which seemed to work but your probably too old to do that 😂😂😂. Apart from that all well and good
Thank you. Yeah, it’s relatively the same kinda thinks I’ve gotta be wary of here in Brum tbh. I’ll probably just have to keep on my toes a little more
Original post by Lukas Crozier
Thank you. Yeah, it’s relatively the same kinda thinks I’ve gotta be wary of here in Brum tbh. I’ll probably just have to keep on my toes a little more

Just keep safe and think and you'll be fine. Which part of London you planning to move to? I know London sort of well, especially East
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
Just keep safe and think and you'll be fine. Which part of London you planning to move to? I know London sort of well, especially East

Hopefully be living in wemberly and going to uni in kilburn so west/north west london mainly - but i’ll be out and about all over london whenever i can afford it
Original post by b!tchwitfeelings
Hey, I used to live in London. I lived in the South East, I think it really depends on your area tbh. I used to be involved with these sort of crime-involved people when I was younger, It was pretty rough but once I moved, I really grasped onto education etc and bettered myself. If you incounter any people, I wouldn't suggest arguing with them because the ones who pick and fight will look for any reason to get onto you.

Yeah, 100% I agree with you there. My parents have always raised me to be like that. I’ve always been told to walk away if it’s a possibility but in any circumstance to not fight back so that will always be at the back of my mind. I’ll be sure to ensure all of my things like my phone and i never carry cash and stuff so (god forbid it happens) if someone ever tries to mug me, i’ll just hand my stuff over and sort it out with insurance
I’m starting uni in London in September and the one big thing I’m kinda stressing about is crime in London. I’m from Birmingham so I’ve been around my fair share of rough areas and crimes, but obviously London is known for having a pretty high crime rate. Is there anyone here who lives in London who can just let me know what it’s like once you’re there and how can I try my best to avoid it?

I grew up in north London and then lived in East London and never got involved with any crime, same for my daughter who is now living in London. I have felt wary walking around some rough parts of Birmingham though so I reckon most big cities are the same. You are right to be a bit cautious but as long as you’re street smart you will be ok
I would say that Birmingham was more dangerous than London, but it depends on which part of London you are moving to. The western half of London is generally no different to any other city or town in the UK, whereas the eastern half of London is arguably more dangerous than average (though pockets of low crime areas exist e.g. Canary Wharf).

If you are going to live in Wimbledon or Harrow, then you really not ought to change much about your demeanor for the sake of protecting yourself against crime.
Reply 8
According to this site Birmingham ranks as more saturated with crooks than London.
At any rate take the normal sensible precautions and you'll be fine :smile:**

** It really depending on where in London you're on about
https://www.crimeandinvestigation.co.uk/shows/murdertown/articles/the-most-dangerous-cities-to-live-in-the-uk
Hopefully be living in wemberly and going to uni in kilburn so west/north west london mainly - but i’ll be out and about all over london whenever i can afford it

I sort of know Wembley and Kilburn, but not too well I'm afraid. I know South East and East London well. But as others including myself have said just be street smart and you'll be fine!

Also some help just for you to know

The train (or tube as it's often called) is the quickest way to get around usually. Fares is based on how far you are travelling (zones) and time (peak and off peak). Sometimes it might be cheaper to get a travel card if you travel a lot.

The bus is probably the cheapest way to get around. Bus costs £1.50. With the hopper, if you board the bus at 10.30am you can change buses as many times as you want until 11.29am (it is 1 hour but just to be on the safe side). Buses DO NOT take cash.

There are two types of taxi service. Minicabs (uber and addison Lee are probably the biggest) and the black cabs. Minicabs are regular cars like toyota prius etc and they'll have a green circle at the top of the windscreen and rear window. Black cabs are just black cabs with the orange taxi sign. Quite obvious to spot a black cab! Minicabs are usually cheaper but slower because they might not be able to use bus lanes and bus gates whereas black cabs can.

You can rent a bicycle. Called boris bikes or santander bikes. I believe it costs £2 To take out but make sure you dock it in and take another bike every 30 minutes or you get charged £2 every 30 minutes. I can't say much I haven't used it before.

There's a lot of nice parks in London. And there's a lot of things you can do. London is the best city in the world (definitely beating Birmingham imo)!
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
I sort of know Wembley and Kilburn, but not too well I'm afraid. I know South East and East London well. But as others including myself have said just be street smart and you'll be fine!

Also some help just for you to know

The train (or tube as it's often called) is the quickest way to get around usually. Fares is based on how far you are travelling (zones) and time (peak and off peak). Sometimes it might be cheaper to get a travel card if you travel a lot.

The bus is probably the cheapest way to get around. Bus costs £1.50. With the hopper, if you board the bus at 10.30am you can change buses as many times as you want until 11.29am (it is 1 hour but just to be on the safe side). Buses DO NOT take cash.

There are two types of taxi service. Minicabs (uber and addison Lee are probably the biggest) and the black cabs. Minicabs are regular cars like toyota prius etc and they'll have a green circle at the top of the windscreen and rear window. Black cabs are just black cabs with the orange taxi sign. Quite obvious to spot a black cab! Minicabs are usually cheaper but slower because they might not be able to use bus lanes and bus gates whereas black cabs can.

You can rent a bicycle. Called boris bikes or santander bikes. I believe it costs £2 To take out but make sure you dock it in and take another bike every 30 minutes or you get charged £2 every 30 minutes. I can't say much I haven't used it before.

There's a lot of nice parks in London. And there's a lot of things you can do. London is the best city in the world (definitely beating Birmingham imo)!

Brilliant. Thank you. I know about a few of the things you’ve mentioned but overall this will be so helpful.
Brilliant. Thank you. I know about a few of the things you’ve mentioned but overall this will be so helpful.

No worries. And remember only black cabs can be hailed down in the streets. You must use a phone to get a minicab

Quick Reply

Latest