The Student Room Group

Need help choosing a course

I'm currently studying Maths, Physics, Biology and Geography, I have no particular draw to any one subject and I don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life.
Ideally I would like to study a science, such as engineering, along with a humanities, such as Geography or English to keep my options open.
If anyone can help or is/has been in a similar situation I would appreciate any advice.
Reply 1
you don't really have to narrow it down yet; you could think about applying to a scottish university since i know they allow you to do a few subjects for the first year (or two, i can't remember which) and then narrow it down later on.
i was in a similar situation about a year ago, but i just read a lot of course descriptions for universities and decided ones that i liked the look of. also, whatever degree you go into doesn't have to be your area of study for the rest of your life; there are so many other options and occupations that you don't need a specific degree for, unless you want to be a doctor or a lawyer or something.
Hi @ManateeStar,

Have you considered an interdisciplinary course, such as American Studies, Natural Sciences, Environmental Sciences or Sustainable Development? Courses like those bring in a range of different subjects throughout!

Thanks,
Amy :smile:
Original post by ManateeStar
I'm currently studying Maths, Physics, Biology and Geography, I have no particular draw to any one subject and I don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life.
Ideally I would like to study a science, such as engineering, along with a humanities, such as Geography or English to keep my options open.
If anyone can help or is/has been in a similar situation I would appreciate any advice.

Have a look at the BASc Arts and Science course at UCL. Birmingham have a similar degree.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Have a look at the BASc Arts and Science course at UCL. Birmingham have a similar degree.

Thank you I just had a quick look and I'm really intrigued I will definitely look into it more many thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Edinburgh is a university I've been looking at especially for the variety, I understand you don't necessarily need a specific degree for a job it just seems so intimidating at first glance, thank you I will read into more course descriptions.
Reply 6
Original post by Arden University
Hi @ManateeStar,

Have you considered an interdisciplinary course, such as American Studies, Natural Sciences, Environmental Sciences or Sustainable Development? Courses like those bring in a range of different subjects throughout!

Thanks,
Amy :smile:

I've heard of them but I never really considered the route, thank you for the advice I will look into it more :smile:
Thank you I just had a quick look and I'm really intrigued I will definitely look into it more many thanks :smile:

Those are the courses I would be going for if I were applying now, rather than many years ago.

Hello @ManateeStar! :smile:

It's good that you're so interested in a range of subjects! I know there's pressure to pigeon-hole yourself earlier but, as commenters have mentioned, there are options to... keep your options open. Doing an intercalculated/'sandwiched' year is common in Scottish universities but there are certain English universities that do something similar. There are also plenty of English universities that do a 'liberal arts' kind of degree (like Lancaster and Birmingham uni for example!) which is more in the style of America's degree system, where you pick a selection from different subjects in accordance to the number of credits you have. And most universities are flexible enough that, if you realise that a particular subject has caught your attention a lot more than others, you can transfer to that subject if you do so in a reasonable timeframe.

I hope you're not stressing yourself too much about this, though. I think if there's one thing that's not stressed enough when it comes to university life is that there's that flexibility (especially within departments). You might struggle to study a pure English degree given you're not currently studying it, but it can definitely be something to add on in a liberal arts/sandwich kind of degree.

Good luck with your application and feel free to message if you have any questions!
-Faye

Like some others have mentioned, doing something like LANS (Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences) allows the study of more than one subject and it is offered at many different universities. Even just doing Natural Sciences on its own could allow you to do both Geography and Engineering together. Don't limit yourself to just one discipline if you want to do more, it is definitely possible to keep your options open!

Prithvi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending