The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, private information is invaluable.

The fella has to be making money - over 1,000 if that's what he is paying for them.

Realistically, there is no feasible way to make 1g off a bank card, unless there is money in that bank, or banks connected to that person.

Unlikely he will be able to do anything if you delete info, regardless - you are not getting 1,000 legally/genuinely.
Original post by Native089

The fella has to be making money - over 1,000 if that's what he is paying for them.

Realistically, there is no feasible way to make 1g off a bank card, unless there is money in that bank, or banks connected to that person.

Unlikely he will be able to do anything if you delete info, regardless - you are not getting 1,000 legally/genuinely.

Not actually true, but the "Friend" he is referring to is doing a type of fraud, which will absolutely destroy OPs credit rating. He is also probably making 10k from this...
Reply 3

so i shouldnt risk it? its just that im in a sticky sit and need money and i'll do it with some other friends too not just me, what can he possible to with the card or info and if anything couldnt i just say i lost the card and wasnt involved in anything that happened or am i being naive?
Reply 4
what does that mean sorry if i sound dumb but what can he do with the card or info and if anything couldnt i just say i lost the card and wasnt involved in anything that happened or am i being naive?
There's a button on the back of your head, it activates common sense. :wink::tongue:
Original post by txnia
so i shouldnt risk it? its just that im in a sticky sit and need money and i'll do it with some other friends too not just me, what can he possible to with the card or info and if anything couldnt i just say i lost the card and wasnt involved in anything that happened or am i being naive?

consider it this way: he's not selling the bank card for scrap materials and cutting you in on the profit, so, whatever he's doing to earn a relatively large amount of money is not legitimate
Reply 7
Original post by V℮rsions
There's a button on the back of your head, it activates common sense. :wink::tongue:

BAHAHAHA ik i sound v stupid but im in a sticky sit :frown:
Original post by txnia
BAHAHAHA ik i sound v stupid but im in a sticky sit :frown:

yeah in all seriousness, I'd keep your cards to yourself, always. Any money / rewards / requirements regarding giving your card to someone is a scam, and I'd make sure you keep your numbers on the card safe too, they can be used without the physical plastic online. Don't worry about it, if you haven't gave him your card yet, don't do so. :smile:

How exactly does this work if you don't mind me asking, will you be exchanging it for cash / debit transfer? Also who is person claiming to be (in terms of who they work for / where they get money)?
Reply 9
How strange that this thread should pop up so shortly after the much longer one about the 15 year old and the Lloyds card.
Original post by Kerzen
How strange that this thread should pop up so shortly after the much longer one about the 15 year old and the Lloyds card.

Yup, funny that. :rolleyes:

And OP, No, No one ever wants to buy your bank cards for anything nice.
Reply 11
Original post by V℮rsions
yeah in all seriousness, I'd keep your cards to yourself, always. Any money / rewards / requirements regarding giving your card to someone is a scam, and I'd make sure you keep your numbers on the card safe too, they can be used without the physical plastic online. Don't worry about it, if you haven't gave him your card yet, don't do so. :smile:

How exactly does this work if you don't mind me asking, will you be exchanging it for cash / debit transfer? Also who is person claiming to be (in terms of who they work for / where they get money)?

i was thinking about doing it since i just made the monzo account last week and have never used it so didnt think it would affect my actual bank account if i was to do sum. i have planned to meet the guy on thursday to give him the card but know im having second thoughts about it and not too sure what to do.
i think he would give me cash but i generally dont know anything about what the guy acc does
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort
Yup, funny that. :rolleyes:

And OP, No, No one ever wants to buy your bank cards for anything nice.

no i acc rlly dont know what to do cuz my friend is reassuring me that they're wont be any problems only the monzo account will be locked so not to worry and just do it,, im very unsure on what to do rn
Original post by txnia
i was thinking about doing it since i just made the monzo account last week and have never used it so didnt think it would affect my actual bank account if i was to do sum. i have planned to meet the guy on thursday to give him the card but know im having second thoughts about it and not too sure what to do.
i think he would give me cash but i generally dont know anything about what the guy acc does

Sounds like he wants to use your card for something fraudulent. If they do then it's your name which is linked to it and you could be flagged as a fraudster for all the banks. Your accounts may get closed and it could be hard to get another bank account anywhere for a few years. I wouldn't.
Original post by txnia

DO NOT do this - you'll have a CIFAS marker for six years and it'll mark you as a fraudster!
If you could potentially enlighten me as to a method of how to do this 'fraud'.

All the best,

Native,,

The most basic method is that a payment for a sum of stolen/dodgy money will be paid into the suckers account, if it succeeds they'll be told to withdraw it and split it with the scammer, the promise of more/bigger payments (plus the fact the scammer already know they're greedy) ensures they get their cut, then they generally vanish one way or another.

The trouble is the transaction will always be found out sooner or later and generally be debited from the suckers account again creating a large unauthorised debt, of which the cause was complicit fraud, so that's just the start of your problems...

Frankly my example is an old one, i'd be surprised if they hadn't got a bit more sophisticated by now and better at keeping the scammer safe.

Latest

Trending

Trending