The Student Room Group

Do I send an apology to the head of dept on placement

Blank
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by SS123456
We had a dept meeting today. And I for the life of me had no idea how to get my mic to work.

The head of dept introduced me saying “this is the PGCE trainee from --. Welcome. Today’s meeting is about KS5 work etc” and later on she said “sorry about the tech problems -- it doesn’t normally happen” I tried to talk but my mic was just not having it.

Do I send an email saying my mic just wasn’t working Today or just leave it

When's the next department meeting? I would be tempted to just leave it and then mention in the next meeting "oh sorry my mic didn't work last time". Department heads get a lot of emails to sift through - especially now we're learning and working remotely - so I wouldn't add to the pile.

You can also see if there's a chat function on the software you're using to meet, and just type messages in there if your mic isn't working.
(edited 3 years ago)
definitely agree with the above, or whenever you next speak in a call with any member of the department make a comment about how you're happy it's finally working (like a joke type of thing)

depts are close working so no matter who you mention it to the head of dept will find out

also - if they didn't mention it then they probably didn't expect you to say anything so don't worry! there will always be technical difficulties with all this online learning :h:
@bluebeetle I sent a quick email as I genuinely think it may have come across rude. Plus I know I sound stupid but genuinely I didn’t even know where the chat was so yeah. She said it happens to all of us almost of the time so it’s genuinely nothing to worry about
Original post by obstruct
definitely agree with the above, or whenever you next speak in a call with any member of the department make a comment about how you're happy it's finally working (like a joke type of thing)

depts are close working so no matter who you mention it to the head of dept will find out

also - if they didn't mention it then they probably didn't expect you to say anything so don't worry! there will always be technical difficulties with all this online learning :h:

I sent an email saying a quick sorry about that can’t quite get my head around it yet. But thanks for the meeting. She said it’s no issues and happens to us all the time esp with being online
Is this the same software you'll be using in remote lessons? If so, I would suggest you spend some time familiarising yourself with it so that you know how to use all the functions. There are lots of online tutorials for teams, zoom, etc.

ETA: Is that your real name in the post? If so, I'd suggest removing it, or I can remove it for you.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Is this the same software you'll be using in remote lessons? If so, I would suggest you spend some time familiarising yourself with it so that you know how to use all the functions. There are lots of online tutorials for teams, zoom, etc.

ETA: Is that your real name in the post? If so, I'd suggest removing it, or I can remove it for you.

Hey there:smile: no! It’s a disguise but the initials of my name are the same and I think it would probably be best if you could change it. I know it sounds silly but just in case! It would be helpful

EDIT:
Oh my gosh. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I’ve now changed my username. Feeling nervous now:frown: my post history is in depth.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by paperclip90
Hey there:smile: no! It’s a disguise but the initials of my name are the same and I think it would probably be best if you could change it. I know it sounds silly but just in case! It would be helpful

EDIT: out of utter stupidity I realised I revealed my uni. Oh my gosh. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I’ve now changed my username. Feeling nervous now:frown: my post history is in depth.

I'm sure nobody saw it- but do be conscious of what you post online as a teacher! Feel free to let me know if there is anything else you need removing.
I'm sure nobody saw it- but do be conscious of what you post online as a teacher! Feel free to let me know if there is anything else you need removing.

Yes definitely. Is there any way to remove a few posts please?
Yes definitely. Is there any way to remove a few posts please?

PM me the links and I'll see what I can do.
PM me the links and I'll see what I can do.

I’m so crap with computers. How do I send a link from the app?
I’m so crap with computers. How do I send a link from the app?

Just open the site in a browser, and then you can copy and paste the links.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending