The Student Room Group

Oxford Re-applying Medicine A100

Does anybody know anyone who has experience of reapplying and getting into medicine 2nd time?
i don't personally, but i wouldn't recommend re-applying unless you don't get any offers from any med schools this year. medicine is a course in which it doesn't particularly matter which uni you go to, so don't give up any offers you may get this year just for the sake of re-applying to oxford - especially considering the increased competition this year. see what your feedback from your college says
Original post by maccles02
i don't personally, but i wouldn't recommend re-applying unless you don't get any offers from any med schools this year. medicine is a course in which it doesn't particularly matter which uni you go to, so don't give up any offers you may get this year just for the sake of re-applying to oxford - especially considering the increased competition this year. see what your feedback from your college says

Thanks for your response buddy! I agree with you but personal circumstances might lead to deferral or take a gap year so reapplying seems like an option but I wanted to know if anybody has ever gotten in 2nd time into medicine at Oxford?
Original post by catherinewang3
Hi all, I was rejected a week ago from Oxford medicine post interview. Due to the circumstances of this year and not doing very well on my UCAT compared to others (2790, Band 1) I have also been rejected from my other choices pre-interview. I have just received feedback from Oxford saying that I was placed in the top half of interviewees (in one I was ranked 12th out of 30) for both colleges but after considering the whole of my application they were unable to offer me a place. The main reason for this, I have concluded, was my BMAT score of 5.7, 4.8 and 3.5A. My stats are 12A*s at GCSE and 3A*s prediction. I was wondering how Oxford feels about reapplicants for medicine specifically as I know that it isn’t common practice as getting into any med school is great. It’s just the fact that I was unable to get any offers due to the circumstances of this year.
I am planning on taking a year out to spend doing work experience etc.
What are my chances, and how does reapplying affect them? Does oxford have higher standards for reapplicants or would I be treated the same?

why are you focusing on just oxford-your stats are amazing wow dont place all ur eggs in 1 basket
Original post by maccles02

My thoughts exactly.
I knew someone once who got no medical offers but went into clearing and got a place at Liverpool medical school. That sounds like an option you should go for.
Original post by catherinewang3
Thank you! I’m gonna explain my thought process a bit here. I didn’t get into any other unis this year for medicine - if I had I definitely wouldn’t be reapplying right now. I am quite insistent on wanting to go to oxford because I’m so interested in the research side of things too, and haven’t seen a course with so much focus on research and the science side of things. Oxford definitely isn’t the end all be all for me, but I was interested in how reapplication might work seeing as I was relatively close this year? @ecolier I have heard that if you didn’t get an interview for the uni you can’t apply for their clearing?

Nobody should be "insistent" on getting a place at Oxford medical school. What are you going to do? Bang on the dean's door until he lets you in?

Applying to this school is a lottery at best, so it is sensible to apply to other medical schools. My son applied for Edinburgh (he loved the city as well as the shiny med school) (ahem, he didn't get in there). Then he wanted a London one, so he applied to Kings college London (because they had a grade requirement of AAA) and Sheffield. If he hadn't got in, he knew the sensible thing to do would have been going to Kings.

We weren't going to go through all that stress of re-applying to Oxford again.
Plenty of people do reapply yes. Its a very competitive option for medicine though, so people often steer away the second time, but no reason why you could't.

You will be treated fairly yes. The success rates for reapplicants is higher in fact, probably because of lessons learned from 1st time and experience gained in end of A_levels/first part of gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending