The Student Room Group

How to get 9 in GCSE English literature...

I got a 9 in GCSE English literature 2019, ask me anything, happy to help.

Scroll to see replies

my english lit is fine like grade 7 standard but what do you recommend to get higher? i’ve been stuck on the same grade
Reply 2
Can I pm - need your help!
Reply 3
Original post by jae jae
Can I pm - need your help!

Yes sure!
Reply 4
Original post by Thara5922
my english lit is fine like grade 7 standard but what do you recommend to get higher? i’ve been stuck on the same grade

For English literature, you need to be tactical to get higher grades. When I revise for English literature, I spend most of the time on understanding exam techniques rather than the quotes of each material. I know this is unbelievable, I only learn 20-30 quotes for each material. When I study poems, I learn 5 (most important ones) quotes for each poem, I make my own notes by having 5 strong points commenting on the author's background, the structure, and language (juxtaposition, simile, semantic field of death...), when comparing, I use wall to wall structures.
how do you revise and do you think looking at markschemes is useful? also i've been stuck at grades 7/8 for ages now how do you think i can improve to a 9? Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
the key to getting a 9 i think is reading about your texts beyond your lessons. i found the connell guides for my texts really helpful (https://www.connellguides.com/collections/english) to have alongside a cgp guide because they're of a much higher level. oxford uni also has a really good podcast series for shakespeare plays (https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/approaching-shakespeare).

in terms of revision the most helpful thing is making essay plans for sure.
To get a 9, you need to firstly included very relevant, detailed context and relate it to your paragraph subject. Secondly make sure your quote analysis is sophisticated, and explores the language fully.
Reply 8
Original post by dianna3007
how do you revise and do you think looking at markschemes is useful? also i've been stuck at grades 7/8 for ages now how do you think i can improve to a 9? Thanks!

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by alexis0805
I think mark scheme is a useful guide to notice the differences between different mark boundaries. But what I suggests is do more research on the material you are reading and examiners like candidates going beyond the material, making assumptions. In my exam on Macbeth, I talked about how the character Lady Macbeth links to stars and galaxy (go online and check). The way you structure your answer is also very important. Use effective subject terminologies and make sure you remember what happened in each scene/ chapter. Understand each character and theme very well.

How I revise?
I make notes on each character, each theme and brief summary of what happened in each chapter. I remember quotes that can be applied more than one area of the material, and some specific quotes that can be well analysed. In GCSE, I did every exam questions I can find and ask the teacher to mark it for me.

As I am a Chinese student, I am quite bad at English language, therefore, I put my emphasis on the coherent of my analysis.

I found snap revision guide quite useful :smile:

sorry i thought this was language which is why i mentioned the markscheme but thank you for these tips they are very useful:smile:
I would love to see your grade 9 GCSE essays on the platform? Did you get the exams back? Or just the grading?
Reply 11
Original post by Rumyodin
I would love to see your grade 9 GCSE essays on the platform? Did you get the exams back? Or just the grading?

I am so sorry, I didn't get my exams back, I only get the grading.
do u have any additional resources apart from past papers and cgp books
also how did u approach/any tips for unseen poetry
would u say to play it safe when it comes to analysis and only include stuff ur teacher has mentioned or is on bbc bitesize
im sorry im asking so many im stuck on grade 7 aiming for grade 8
(edited 3 years ago)
I got a 9 in English Literature, and I can say that the best way for me was to do a ton of practice papers and get your teacher to mark them! This is a more general comment, because I'm not really sure which exam board people are on btw, but this is a sure fire way to get really good feedback and a great way to improve essays! For things like extract based questions, know terminology. Language and structure devices are really good to use to show you can identify techniques which writers use, and say the significance and impact it has on texts overall!
Reply 15
Original post by 1hhh
would u say to play it safe when it comes to analysis and only include stuff ur teacher has mentioned or is on bbc bitesize

I used this (I did love and relationships tho): http://www.watfordutc.org/wp-content/uploads/Poetry-Guide-Love-and-Relationships.pdf

http://thebicesterschool.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Poetry-Support-Booklet.pdf- for power and conflict

they have good structure, I used wall to wall structure when comparing.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by 1hhh

it is fine, I was in your position 2 years ago, totally understand.
For English literature, you need to be tactical to get higher grades. When I revise for English literature, I spend most of the time on understanding exam techniques rather than the quotes of each material. I know this is unbelievable, I only learn 20-30 quotes for each material. When I study poems, I learn 5 (most important ones) quotes for each poem, I make my own notes by having 5 strong points commenting on the author's background, the structure, and language (juxtaposition, simile, semantic field of death...), when comparing, I use wall to wall structures.

what's a wall to wall structure??

What is a wall-to-wall structure?
I am so sorry, I didn't get my exams back, I only get the grading.

Sorry, yeah... . I don't know how the UK system works.

Original post by j.e2003
I got a 9 in English Literature, and I can say that the best way for me was to do a ton of practice papers and get your teacher to mark them! This is a more general comment, because I'm not really sure which exam board people are on btw, but this is a sure fire way to get really good feedback and a great way to improve essays! For things like extract based questions, know terminology. Language and structure devices are really good to use to show you can identify techniques which writers use, and say the significance and impact it has on texts overall!

Any advice for private candidate without a teacher? How can you find an actual private teacher who knows how exams are marked and improved with perfect scores? Or any PERFECT exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending