The Student Room Group

A- level choices

for my a-levels i chose
business, physcology ,chemistry and biology any advice most people are saying it’s going to be too much work but idkkkjkkw
Reply 1
why are you doing 4 A Levels? If you work hard you'll be fine!
Reply 2
To be honest i don’t even know but i feel like i can do it , and i want to get into a good university 😭💀
Original post by Mollie~
why are you doing 4 A Levels? If you work hard you'll be fine!
Original post by Thara5922
To be honest i don’t even know but i feel like i can do it , and i want to get into a good university 😭💀

u can get into a good uni with 3 a levels as well!
Reply 4
Original post by alisha.h
u can get into a good uni with 3 a levels as well!

i might drop one on the second year of six form , if it gets too much
Reply 5

The top universities look at only 3 A Levels you wouldn't get extra credit for doing 4. Of course you can drop one if you don't enjoy it or if it gets too much - take it as an AS level maybe instead. Top Universities look at what you do outside of your A Levels too like doing reading around the subject or doing something that bit extra.
Reply 6
Original post by Mollie~
The top universities look at only 3 A Levels you wouldn't get extra credit for doing 4. Of course you can drop one if you don't enjoy it or if it gets too much - take it as an AS level maybe instead. Top Universities look at what you do outside of your A Levels too like doing reading around the subject or doing something that bit extra.

oh okay got it!! thank youu✨
for my a-levels i chose
business, physcology ,chemistry and biology any advice most people are saying it’s going to be too much work but idkkkjkkw

I wanted to do 4 A Levels as well but i have my doubts. Emailed Oxford University, UCL and LSE to ask about this and told me that participants with 4 A Levels are not in advantage. Is like that, that they will only count your highest 3 grades and complete ignore the 4th. So is a waste of a time. Only important in STEM subjects. And the extra subject is usually further maths with maths already one of them (not a stem student but i know friends that says it). Also, psychology is a lot of work. Is basically history. You will have to learn a lot of people and exact years. Dont expect experiments and fun things. Expect history. For example, you will study a researcher that discovered something in a year, and you will have to know all the percentages in his findings and procedings. + that learn A01 and A03. A03 is like 4 medium paragraphs you must remember. And this is only like 2 pages. You will have to learn loads and loads of data. Loads of dates. Oh and also is like history because you will also have to write 16 mark essays! With A01 and A03 and it can be on anything. So that means a lot of revision! And the book is over 100 pages :smile: it can be fun in a way but not easy. All A Levels are hard anyways but psychology has a lot of context
I'd go for Business, Biology and Chemistry :smile: You can go on to do a Psychology degree with those subjects without the A level but it might be strange to go for Business degree with A levels in Bio, Chem and Psych if you see what I mean! I wouldn't do four tbh (I did four for AS and ended up with abbb. After dropping one for A2 I got A*A*A and had more spare time. Free periods really help!)
Universities literally ignore any extra A level after 3. They won't be impressed at all and won't give you any extra points. I would definitely only do 3.
Reply 10
Original post by Franco28
I wanted to do 4 A Levels as well but i have my doubts. Emailed Oxford University, UCL and LSE to ask about this and told me that participants with 4 A Levels are not in advantage. Is like that, that they will only count your highest 3 grades and complete ignore the 4th. So is a waste of a time. Only important in STEM subjects. And the extra subject is usually further maths with maths already one of them (not a stem student but i know friends that says it). Also, psychology is a lot of work. Is basically history. You will have to learn a lot of people and exact years. Dont expect experiments and fun things. Expect history. For example, you will study a researcher that discovered something in a year, and you will have to know all the percentages in his findings and procedings. + that learn A01 and A03. A03 is like 4 medium paragraphs you must remember. And this is only like 2 pages. You will have to learn loads and loads of data. Loads of dates. Oh and also is like history because you will also have to write 16 mark essays! With A01 and A03 and it can be on anything. So that means a lot of revision! And the book is over 100 pages :smile: it can be fun in a way but not easy. All A Levels are hard anyways but psychology has a lot of context

I take history so i’m probably use to it 😂😭, but damnnn i will probably drop a subject if it is too much , i want to do something business related in uni but i also want to do maths too
Reply 11
Original post by anon1401
I'd go for Business, Biology and Chemistry :smile: You can go on to do a Psychology degree with those subjects without the A level but it might be strange to go for Business degree with A levels in Bio, Chem and Psych if you see what I mean! I wouldn't do four tbh (I did four for AS and ended up with abbb. After dropping one for A2 I got A*A*A and had more spare time. Free periods really help!)

Thank you so much , i was thinking of switching one out for maths so i can do something business related in uni x
Reply 12
Original post by Quick-use
Universities literally ignore any extra A level after 3. They won't be impressed at all and won't give you any extra points. I would definitely only do 3.

damnn that’s harsh 😂😂 but thank you !! for the advice xx
I take history so i’m probably use to it 😂😭, but damnnn i will probably drop a subject if it is too much , i want to do something business related in uni but i also want to do maths too

Imagine me rn taking both History (got an A* in History GCSE and History in A Level is way harder) and Psychology😂 then just take psychology out. You can do business with business A Level as without business A level the combination of psy, bio and che doesn’t make sense. Good luck!✨
Reply 14
Original post by anon1401

i still kinda want to do 4 but how is business, maths, chem and bio?
Thank you so much , i was thinking of switching one out for maths so i can do something business related in uni x

Fair enough! I'd say only do Maths if you really enjoy and are predicted an easy A* because it's a huge step up. I don't think maths is needed for most business courses at uni, although I might be wrong. It would be needed for Business and Economics, I think. :smile: You could always take Business, Maths, Chem and Bio for the first 3 weeks and then see how you feel about the workload and subjects (and potentially which one to drop if it seems like too much!)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Franco28
Imagine me rn taking both History (got an A* in History GCSE and History in A Level is way harder) and Psychology😂 then just take psychology out. You can do business with business A Level as without business A level the combination of psy, bio and che doesn’t make sense. Good luck!✨

Thank youu!! i just wanted to try something different but i can see now it doesn’t work ✨✨GCSE history is already too much for me 😂😭 omg A-Level i’m praying for you
(edited 3 years ago)
for my a-levels i chose

If you want to do those subjects then do them. You can always drop one of need be.
What are you wanting to do at uni?
Reply 18
Original post by Emma:-)
If you want to do those subjects then do them. You can always drop one of need be.
What are you wanting to do at uni?

Something in the area of business

Quick Reply

Latest