The Student Room Group

I graduated E&M in 2010 - Ask Me Anything

Hey all!

I studied E&M at Merton from 2007 to 2010. I recently hung out with a friend I made here, on TSR, who was hugely helpful when I was applying, and that made me remember how much I owe to this website :smile:

So - if you are a current student, or applicant, and would like to know what things are like over ten years later (or at least what they were like for me and others in my year) - shoot away!
Hi I just received an offer from Brasenose to study E&M! I have a few questions:
1) How did you find the workload of the course?
2)What modules did you choose in later years?
3) What's it like studying in the Said Business School?
4)What career have you pursued? And what sort of careers did your cohort pursue?
5)What is the career support like?
Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 2
Original post by Ellachmbs
Hi I just received an offer from Brasenose to study E&M! I have a few questions:
1) How did you find the workload of the course?
This depends mostly on your own management of the course. When writing an essay, you can go all-in and read all the reading list (and more), or just focus on the essential readings. You can pick which lectures to attend. Of course it is a demanding program, but some classmates had plenty of time to dedicate to other pursuits.

2)What modules did you choose in later years?
International Econ
Public Econ
Development Econ
Comparative Demographic Systems
Marketing
Strategy

3) What's it like studying in the Said Business School?
It's great! The facilities are very comfortable, the lectures excellent, the library very efficient and a great place to study for exams, and most importantly a great place to meet E&Mists from other colleges, who can become lifelong friends and will go on to have interesting lives.

4)What career have you pursued? And what sort of careers did your cohort pursue?
I was in a major management consulting firm for a few years, and also worked for a year in my country's Treasury. I also studied an MPA/ID at Harvard and an MBA at Stanford (so clearly I still love both E and M). I am now in a strategy / sales role in a fast growing fintech startup.

5)What is the career support like?
Back then I found it OK. While there are some resources and I do advise you to visit the Career Center, I'd advise you to look to your college's older alumni for coffee chats so you get a better sense of your options. The career resources at the SBS are also good.

The vast majority of E&Mists I met have moved on to highly successful, interesting careers.

Sorry for all the questions!
That's what this thread is for! Have a fantastic time. Make sure to broaden your horizons.

Congrats on the offer! I'll answer in bold after your questions.

Please note my answers to questions 1, 3, and 5 might be a bit outdated.
Thank you so much- this was really helpful!! :smile:
Another question: Just in general what advice would you have for the course/ what would you have told your past self at the start of your degree?
Reply 5
Hey! I'm back

@Ellachmbs some things I would have told myself:
--- Take opportunities to meet people outside of your circle of comfort - not only people in your college but also fellow E&Mists elsewhere, people in university-wide initiatives, etc.
--- If you feel a little blue, if you feel a little tired - talk to someone. Talk to people in your college, tutors, friends. Even if you feel there's people doing worse than you are, make sure you take action
--- Don't forget the basics - eat well, exercise plenty, keep a tab on how much alcohol you're drinking
--- Explore lectures in areas completely outside of your degree! You can go to lectures in any topics, and I still vividly remember a couple I went to on poetry, for instance, or really cool debates at the Oxford Union
--- Summer internships have value in two ways: 1) deciding where you want to work after graduating, 2) getting full-time work offers. Be proactive about getting them - messaging people directly on linkedin, asking for coffee chats, etc.

Enjoy!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending