The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

I have to submit my application to my school's Sixth Form by Friday, and the only bit left to do is to indicate my subject choices. I am certain I want to do French and German, but I am undecided for my third option (last minute, I know!) between Biology and History. On one hand, I've really enjoyed History so far and I feel it would be a good fit with French and German. But I also find Biology really interesting and I think it would be a good contrast to my other subjects, plus my teacher has said I would be suited to Biology A-Level. Could anyone who has done History/Biology tell me how they found/are finding it at A-Level, particularly the jump from GCSE?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by average_human
I have to submit my application to my school's Sixth Form by Friday, and the only bit left to do is to indicate my subject choices. I am certain I want to do French and German, but I am undecided for my third option (last minute, I know!) between Biology and History. On one hand, I've really enjoyed History so far and I feel it would be a good fit with French and German. But I also find Biology really interesting and I think it would be a good contrast to my other subjects, plus my teacher has said I would be suited to Biology A-Level. Could anyone who has done History/Biology tell me how they found/are finding it at A-Level, particularly the jump from GCSE?

Hi :smile: i'm not doing biology or history but i can give you advice based on what ive seen from my friends who are doing both subjects. History A level is very different to GCSE in terms of content. my friends found gcse history really interesting and loved it but find a level history a lot more boring in comparison. on the other hand, biology is really interesting but a lot harder and complex. you cant be laid back. so if youre prepared and willing to put the hard work and effort in then you should definitley go for it. especially because your teacher said it - a teacher knows their student better than anyone. but everyone is different so just follow your heart! hope that helps a little x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ninjaaa x
Hi :smile: i'm not doing biology or history but i can give you advice based on what ive seen from my friends who are doing both subjects. History A level is very different to GCSE in terms of content. my friends found gcse history really interesting and loved it but find a level history a lot more boring in comparison. on the other hand, biology is really interesting but a lot harder and complex. you cant be laid back. so if youre prepared and willing to put the hard work and effort in then you should definitley go for it. especially because your teacher said it - a teacher knows their student better than anyone. but everyone is different so just follow your heart! hope that helps a little x

Thank you! I've seen a lot of people say that History A-Level is a lot different to GCSE, so that definitely gives me something to think about. I'm wondering whether I only considered Biology because my teacher said so. Also, if I only do Biology it narrows the options for the scientific degrees I go into, but I'm not sure. Also, I think in the future I would like to do something more polticis/ir based so I'm thinking History would be better for that? I get better grades in it as well?
Thank you! I've seen a lot of people say that History A-Level is a lot different to GCSE, so that definitely gives me something to think about. I'm wondering whether I only considered Biology because my teacher said so. Also, if I only do Biology it narrows the options for the scientific degrees I go into, but I'm not sure. Also, I think in the future I would like to do something more polticis/ir based so I'm thinking History would be better for that? I get better grades in it as well?

No worries! it's true that if you only do biology from the sciences then it will narrow your options but there would still be quite a lot of options for you. you should look into what you can do and see if theres anything you would be interested in and do the same for history as well. if you want to go into politics then sociology or english are good a levels that you could also consider. i am doing both sociology and english literature and both are really interesting. what subjects did you do well in in GCSEs? Also, in my college we pick 4 a levels and are allowed to drop one that we dont enjoy or are not doing that well? is this an option for you or can you only pick three? if you can pick four then it would be really beneficial for you in choosing which three you want to keep and you could get a taste of what the subjects are like.
No worries! it's true that if you only do biology from the sciences then it will narrow your options but there would still be quite a lot of options for you. you should look into what you can do and see if theres anything you would be interested in and do the same for history as well. if you want to go into politics then sociology or english are good a levels that you could also consider. i am doing both sociology and english literature and both are really interesting. what subjects did you do well in in GCSEs? Also, in my college we pick 4 a levels and are allowed to drop one that we dont enjoy or are not doing that well? is this an option for you or can you only pick three? if you can pick four then it would be really beneficial for you in choosing which three you want to keep and you could get a taste of what the subjects are like.

Thanks! i submitted my application and I decided to go with History. I could see myself using it in the future more.Thanks for all your help :smile:
It’s good to hear that you’ve submitted your application in - congrats! Just to reassure you though, your school will more than likely let you change your options on results day or start of sixth form if you’re still second guessing your decision so don’t worry if you’re not 100% sure what to do yet :smile:
History would go well with two MFLs as they're linked

What are you wanting to do after your a-levels?
Original post by izzxm
It’s good to hear that you’ve submitted your application in - congrats! Just to reassure you though, your school will more than likely let you change your options on results day or start of sixth form if you’re still second guessing your decision so don’t worry if you’re not 100% sure what to do yet :smile:

thanks I didn't know this ! :smile:
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you wanting to do after your a-levels?

I'm thinking of going into diplomacy/international relations, that sort of thing, so I think it would make more sense to go for History :smile:
Original post by hootdoot04
History would go well with two MFLs as they're linked

This was my thinking as well, glad you agree :smile:
Thanks! i submitted my application and I decided to go with History. I could see myself using it in the future more.Thanks for all your help :smile:

ur welcome! i'm glad you've made your decision and i'm sure your sixth form will give you a week or so if you want to change but hopefully you won't need to. Good luck x
ur welcome! i'm glad you've made your decision and i'm sure your sixth form will give you a week or so if you want to change but hopefully you won't need to. Good luck x

I'm thinking of going into diplomacy/international relations, that sort of thing, so I think it would make more sense to go for History :smile:

Yeah history would definitely be better for that.
Original post by Emma:-)
Yeah history would definitely be better for that.

yeah, that's what I'm going for-thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest