The Student Room Group

I dont know if I should drop out

So I'm in my first year of uni doing a Maths degree, and I havent studied really hard over the last few months but i also dont feel like i like Maths. i was sort of good at it for A-Level but Im not sure if im even that good because i never sat the actual exams because of Covid.
But let's say that I am good at it, but I dont really think that I like it, is it possible to do well in a degree that you dont really like ? Do people do that? i know maths will give me a lot of job opportunities, but i dont think i really like it that much. but im not sure if id like any other subject either. have people in the past done well purely through motivating themselves despite not liking a subject?
also im probably going to fail some of my first semester. lol
not to sound annoying but i would appreciate it if no one lectured me on like "you need to work harder u piece of ****" or something cos i dont think i could deal with that right now haha sorry
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm in my first year of uni doing a Maths degree, and I havent studied really hard over the last few months but i also dont feel like i like Maths. i was sort of good at it for A-Level but Im not sure if im even that good because i never sat the actual exams because of Covid.
But let's say that I am good at it, but I dont really think that I like it, is it possible to do well in a degree that you dont really like ? Do people do that? i know maths will give me a lot of job opportunities, but i dont think i really like it that much. but im not sure if id like any other subject either. have people in the past done well purely through motivating themselves despite not liking a subject?
not to sound annoying but i would appreciate it if no one lectured me on like "you need to work harder u piece of ****" or something cos i dont think i could deal with that right now haha sorry

also it's not that i hate it, like i like parts of it but i dont LOVE it if that makes sense.

Hi!
I think it is possible to do well in a degree you don't really like; people have done it, though I cannot say I am one of them. I sort of felt the same as you, I did not hate the degree but just felt like it wasn't the thing it should have been? I was not bad at it either, I just found it hard to motivate myself and just did not see myself going anywhere with the degree. I ended up dropping out after the first year. I did finish my year and decided to find out what I did enjoy to see whether there was a degree that fit those things better. (Since you say there are parts you do enjoy?) I ended up finding a degree that had most of those things, and I do enjoy what I am doing now a lot more - it feels right. I can't tell you whether you should drop out, or whether you'll do worse because you don't like the degree, but you can look at what you would like to do and what the opportunities are? :smile:

Hey Anon! So sorry to hear you're feeling this way. It feels rubbish when you feel like you can't get as stuck in to something you thought you'd love.

I'd say it's normal in a way to not feel as excited by Maths as you have been right now. Especially given the way life is at the moment- it's hard to feel motivated about anything, not just your studies. Can you have a chat to your course contact at your uni? Maybe they'd be able to advise some things that can help? You could also have a look at any upcoming classes in the next few years and work out which modules take your interest so you have something to look forward to in a way. Even if you're not enjoying this semester there might be some classes coming up soon that you're really keen on doing.

You absolutely can do well on the course even if you're not loving it though. If you've always been good for Maths and you pick up the content and study well there's nothing stopping you at all :smile: It would just be a shame if you looked back on your time at uni and didn't feel overly positive about it.

I hope you start to feel a bit better about it soon! Don't be too hard on yourself- the world is a weird place at the moment and it's ok to not feel like everything is rosey and perfect. Take it one day at a time and look after yourself doing other things that you love.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathlcyde Rep
I was in a similar situation to you, only difference is I did physics. I chose it because I’m good at it ( according to my grades at least) and career opportunities. However, I HATED probably 70% of the content and loved the other 30%, there was no in between.
What I realised was, to do good in uni (especially for STEM subjects), you need to be good at the subject AND enjoy it. Studying for me was like a mental battle, forcing myself to sit down and actually do 15 mins of work. Had I not dropped out, doing that for the next 3+ years would’ve have serious effects on my mental health for sure.
I advise you to really think about it as it’s not a light decision, good luck.
Maybe look at a different course at the same uni

Perhaps you should look at the other courses available to you at your uni and see if there is anything that you might be able to switch over to. Perhaps you could take some advice from the uni as well. Feel for you but it could be a miserable few years of doing something that you don't really enjoy. I'd do something sooner rather than later though. Good luck.

I'm not sure that it will help but I'm sort of in a similar position - doing history at oxford and (ironically for you) feeling like I should drop out and look into doing something more quantitative. I think that having found a subject okay at a-level and feeling shocked when you really have to work for it is normal. But the thing that's stopping me from getting through is job opportunities, which you will have. You may not love the subject in itself (though I think this love could come back), but maybe if you love the idea of the security it will afford you in life, that could motivate you. That probably wasn't too helpful. I feel for you though.
Reply 8
Original post by juststu-dying
Hi!
I think it is possible to do well in a degree you don't really like; people have done it, though I cannot say I am one of them. I sort of felt the same as you, I did not hate the degree but just felt like it wasn't the thing it should have been? I was not bad at it either, I just found it hard to motivate myself and just did not see myself going anywhere with the degree. I ended up dropping out after the first year. I did finish my year and decided to find out what I did enjoy to see whether there was a degree that fit those things better. (Since you say there are parts you do enjoy?) I ended up finding a degree that had most of those things, and I do enjoy what I am doing now a lot more - it feels right. I can't tell you whether you should drop out, or whether you'll do worse because you don't like the degree, but you can look at what you would like to do and what the opportunities are? :smile:

thank you so much for your response:smile: im going to try my best over the next few months of first year and see how things go. thank you !!
Reply 9
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey Anon! So sorry to hear you're feeling this way. It feels rubbish when you feel like you can't get as stuck in to something you thought you'd love.

I'd say it's normal in a way to not feel as excited by Maths as you have been right now. Especially given the way life is at the moment- it's hard to feel motivated about anything, not just your studies. Can you have a chat to your course contact at your uni? Maybe they'd be able to advise some things that can help? You could also have a look at any upcoming classes in the next few years and work out which modules take your interest so you have something to look forward to in a way. Even if you're not enjoying this semester there might be some classes coming up soon that you're really keen on doing.

You absolutely can do well on the course even if you're not loving it though. If you've always been good for Maths and you pick up the content and study well there's nothing stopping you at all :smile: It would just be a shame if you looked back on your time at uni and didn't feel overly positive about it.

I hope you start to feel a bit better about it soon! Don't be too hard on yourself- the world is a weird place at the moment and it's ok to not feel like everything is rosey and perfect. Take it one day at a time and look after yourself doing other things that you love.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathlcyde Rep

hi, thank you so much for your reply!! i think the main reason im not enjoying my course is because i find it hard to learn without face to face learning which is not something i can change right now. but id forgotten that the reason i chose my uni is because in the third year there are courses that i am really interested in, so im going to try to keep going until then !! even in second year there are some modules that look very cool. thank you for your insight:smile:
Original post by Stevie_Ggg
I was in a similar situation to you, only difference is I did physics. I chose it because I’m good at it ( according to my grades at least) and career opportunities. However, I HATED probably 70% of the content and loved the other 30%, there was no in between.
What I realised was, to do good in uni (especially for STEM subjects), you need to be good at the subject AND enjoy it. Studying for me was like a mental battle, forcing myself to sit down and actually do 15 mins of work. Had I not dropped out, doing that for the next 3+ years would’ve have serious effects on my mental health for sure.
I advise you to really think about it as it’s not a light decision, good luck.

hi, thank you for your reply and telling me about your experiences:smile: im going to stick at it until the end of this year at least and see how things go, i really appreciate your insight, thank you!!
Original post by student424
Perhaps you should look at the other courses available to you at your uni and see if there is anything that you might be able to switch over to. Perhaps you could take some advice from the uni as well. Feel for you but it could be a miserable few years of doing something that you don't really enjoy. I'd do something sooner rather than later though. Good luck.

thank you for your response:smile: ill talk to the people in my uni about this but im going to keep going until the end of this year and see how things go. i really appreciate your insight, thank you !!
I'm not sure that it will help but I'm sort of in a similar position - doing history at oxford and (ironically for you) feeling like I should drop out and look into doing something more quantitative. I think that having found a subject okay at a-level and feeling shocked when you really have to work for it is normal. But the thing that's stopping me from getting through is job opportunities, which you will have. You may not love the subject in itself (though I think this love could come back), but maybe if you love the idea of the security it will afford you in life, that could motivate you. That probably wasn't too helpful. I feel for you though.

hey, thank you for your reply! thats a really good point, im going to study super hard over the next few months and see how things go. i forgot that the reason i chose Southampton was because in the third year of my degree i have super cool modules so hopefully i can keep going until that point!! im sorry to hear that youre also thinking of dropping out, i hope things get better for you, especially seeing as its such a hard time to be in university right now:frown:
thank you for your replies everyone!! when i posted that i dont know if you saw the time but it was early in the morning and i was having one of those "ohmygod my life is over " moments as i hadnt slept much and woke up early to revise for my stats exams but now that i am more clear headed i can see that i can still do well, especially as in my third year there are modules that i am super interested in and excited to do. i just have to keep going until then, which i definitely can!! thank you for all your insight(s)? on this, i really appreciate it :smile: xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending