The Student Room Group

Volunteering/work experience

Hey!

I’m currently in y12 and will be applying to universities soon, however one thing that’s been on my mind is my extra-curricular activities.

I’ve volunteered at a local charity shop for some time, but since the corona virus outbreak until now I’ve had no chance to secure a proper volunteering opportunity. My sixth form hasn’t hosted any clubs either since it understandably increased possible covid contraction.

I’m aware that there’s online work experience opportunities, but do those hold the same waiting if I was to write about them on my statement?

I guess I’m just worried that I won’t have enough to talk about since there hasn’t been any chance to do any extra activities, and the likelihood of doing so in y13 when exams are soon would stress me out.

I have been doing extra reading, and have many at-home hobbies, but anything to do with volunteering etc is a nil for me.

Do universities put a lot of care into extra- curriculars? And how does one go about securing opportunities?

Thanks
They’re very understanding of the circumstances at the moment, you’ve already done volunteering which is great but getting an online work experience would also be great and they are seeing it as a good experience as it’s showing you’re proactive and trying your best to gain experiences. What’re you applying for? and where are you thinking fo applying? I’ve got all 5 offers back now so if you need anymore help with your personal statement I’d be happy to try!
Original post by Roseo11
Hey!

I’m currently in y12 and will be applying to universities soon, however one thing that’s been on my mind is my extra-curricular activities.

I’ve volunteered at a local charity shop for some time, but since the corona virus outbreak until now I’ve had no chance to secure a proper volunteering opportunity. My sixth form hasn’t hosted any clubs either since it understandably increased possible covid contraction.

I’m aware that there’s online work experience opportunities, but do those hold the same waiting if I was to write about them on my statement?

I guess I’m just worried that I won’t have enough to talk about since there hasn’t been any chance to do any extra activities, and the likelihood of doing so in y13 when exams are soon would stress me out.

I have been doing extra reading, and have many at-home hobbies, but anything to do with volunteering etc is a nil for me.

Do universities put a lot of care into extra- curriculars? And how does one go about securing opportunities?

Thanks

I think universities will understand it has been difficult to do experience under the current covid circumstances. If you can try and do some online ones then it may be advantageous as at least it will show you tried to do some experience even though it has been difficult to.

-Hope I have helped.

Verity:smile:
For most courses (academic ones), volunteering should only form a small part of your PS, so don't worry. For those more vocational courses, unis are also more understanding at the moment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending