The Student Room Group

is this illegal ?

is it illegal for someone to spread another person's phone number on the internet ? (this happened to my friend)
Original post by Anonymous
is it illegal for someone to spread another person's phone number on the internet ? (this happened to my friend)

yep.......pretty sure it is
Yes.
Reply 3
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
yep.......pretty sure it is

what are the consequences or what if it was just a prank?
what are the consequences or what if it was just a prank?

Tbf this happened a few yes ago to me, got TONS of calls during the night (was spread on imjustbait) but it stopped eventually if that helps x

I don't know if it would be a criminal offence, but it is definitely a civil wrong i.e. a violation of their privacy.
Your friend needs to change their mobile number ASAP, regardless of the legalities of what happened.

if that person doesn't have consent yes
Reply 8
the issue is my friend doesnt know who spread the number
Reply 9

I'm pretty sure it is
Yess
the issue is my friend doesnt know who spread the number

If that's the case then your friend needs to contact the Police, and leave it to them. You can't sue someone that you don't know.
Simply posting a phone number and inviting people to call it may be classed as harrassment. If the phone number is accompanied with identifying information like name, address, birth date etc., then this is also a breach of personal data.

Both are illegal. However, finding out who did it and then prosecuting them is another matter.

Police are unlikely to act and even if they did, it would not be a priority given their overstretched resources as it is.

A civil case for damages could be sought, but this is a costly route fraught with traps to foil claims.
Original post by uberteknik
Simply posting a phone number and inviting people to call it may be classed as harrassment. If the phone number is accompanied with identifying information like name, address, birth date etc., then this is also a breach of personal data.

Both are illegal. However, finding out who did it and then prosecuting them is another matter.

Police are unlikely to act and even if they did, it would not be a priority given their overstretched resources as it is.

A civil case for damages could be sought, but this is a costly route fraught with traps to foil claims.

Oh okay, thank you very much!
Reply 14

How old is your friend and how does he/she know that his/her number has been shared via the internet?

Quick Reply

Latest