The Student Room Group

Can I get into a Russell Group university with these GCSE grades?

I am doing GCSE and would like to apply to a Russell Group university. I’ve heard that these universities put GCSE grades into consideration as well as a-level grades. I feel quite anxious with my 3 grade 5’s as I am scared that I won’t be able to change it with covid happening. At the moment I am being predicted these grades:

English Literature 7
English Language 7
Double Science 5-5
Maths 5
French 5
History 9
Media Studies 9
Religious Studies 9

Would my grades be okay to apply to a Russel Group ?

Scroll to see replies

Your GCSEs are all grade 5 or above so you don’t have anything to worry about. They’re probably not good enough for oxbridge but you should have no problem applying to any other Russell group uni as long as you get the required a level grades.
Reply 2
100%, these are my GCSE grades:

English Literature 8
English Language 4
Double Science 8-7
Maths 8
French 7
Geography 7
Business 7
PE 6

These are one of my friends:

English Literature 5
English Language 5
Double Science 8-7
Maths 8
French 5
History (I can't remember but they either got a 5 or they failed)
Art 8
Tech 5

I've received offers from Manchester, Nottingham & Bath (not a RG but still a top 10 uni), and I'm waiting on Edinburgh & St Andrews (also not RG). My friend has offers from Cardiff, Sussex (not RG) and Nottingham and is waiting on Bristol and Warwick. GCSEs really don't matter much, you have good grades anyways. I stressed night after night over my English Language grade and whether I'd get rejected because of it. I was going to resit but in the end decided not to. I can see you're more of an essay subject person whereas I'm the opposite, so unless you're applying to unis where you need a minimum of a 6 in maths, you'll be absolutely fine.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by anon752
100%, these are my GCSE grades:

English Literature 8
English Language 4
Double Science 8-7
Maths 8
French 7
Geography 7
Business 7
PE 6

These are one of my friends:

English Literature 5
English Language 5
Double Science 8-7
Maths 8
French 5
History (I can't remember but they either got a 5 or they failed)
Art 8
Tech 5

I've received offers from Manchester, Nottingham & Bath (not a RG but still a top 10 uni), and I'm waiting on Edinburgh & St Andrews (also not RG). My friend has offers from Cardiff, Sussex (not RG) and Nottingham and is waiting on Bristol and Warwick. GCSEs really don't matter much, you have good grades anyways. I stressed night after night over my English Language grade and whether I'd get rejected because of it. I was going to resit but in the end decided not to. I can see you're more of an essay subject person whereas I'm the opposite, so unless you're applying to unis where you need a minimum of a 6 in maths, you'll be absolutely fine.

How did you get an A* in eng lit but barely passed eng lang that's funny
Original post by GamerGrilll
I am doing GCSE and would like to apply to a Russell Group university. I’ve heard that these universities put GCSE grades into consideration as well as a-level grades. I feel quite anxious with my 3 grade 5’s as I am scared that I won’t be able to change it with covid happening. At the moment I am being predicted these grades:

English Literature 7
English Language 7
Double Science 5-5
Maths 5
French 5
History 9
Media Studies 9
Religious Studies 9

100%. I know Oxford puts a lot of emphasis on GCSE's (but even then it's in context as to where you took them), but other than that, it really doesn't matter (provided you pass English and Maths). Most other universities don't really care- they do however, very much care about A-Levels, so just do the best you can there! Also worth noting is the Russell group is NOT the be all and end all, there are plenty of other unis that are not a part of it and still trump majority of the Russell group both overall and for particular courses - don't get fixated on it, go to a good uni that is good for your course!

English Literature 7
English Language 7
Double Science 5-5
Maths 5
French 5
History 9
Media Studies 9
Religious Studies 9

Absolutely fine, I did much worse than you and I’ve got offers from top Russel group unis
Original post by emily.charl0
100%. I know Oxford puts a lot of emphasis on GCSE's (but even then it's in context as to where you took them), but other than that, it really doesn't matter (provided you pass English and Maths). Most other universities don't really care- they do however, very much care about A-Levels, so just do the best you can there! Also worth noting is the Russell group is NOT the be all and end all, there are plenty of other unis that are not a part of it and still trump majority of the Russell group both overall and for particular courses - don't get fixated on it, go to a good uni that is good for your course!

Which other universities would you suggest that are equally as good, for a degree in law?
Which other universities would you suggest that are equally as good, for a degree in law?

I have offers from UCL and Durham for law.

My GCSEs are 665542
Do good in A-levels and don't worry about it.
Reply 8
Original post by bvbx

To be fair, I became super ill the day before my English Language exam and was told I didn’t have to sit and they’d give me my target grade (I regret not doing that now since it was a 6). But we were also on a Welsh board (I live in London), and even our GCSE certificate was in Welsh, my whole cohort ended up getting mainly 5s. I don’t know why we were on that board when the year above and below me both did AQA, but that may have contributed to me getting a 4😭 But then also I’m just not creative at all, I struggle with creative writing a lot and looking back, the story I wrote was probably dreadful. English lit however, I just waffled a lot and made up a bunch of random quotes after jot even reading the books or poems lol

edit: also my grammar is really bad so probably got marked down for that, ignore all my grammar mistakes lol
(edited 3 years ago)

As I'm going off to do a science based degree later this year, I'm definitely not the person to ask! Maybe look at rankings specifically for law (but don't get too fixated on this!), then have a look at department websites as you may find specific unis do modules suited to you and give you a greater range of choice. Also, don't worry just yet - I only chose my subject this August and applied in October, there's no rush- focus on your A-Levels then if you are still passionate about law, do that, but you may find a new subject interests you!

English Literature 7
English Language 7
Double Science 5-5
Maths 5
French 5
History 9
Media Studies 9
Religious Studies 9

Check the entry requirements of every uni you wish to consider, but yes they look absolutely fine.

The Russell Group is a lobby group for research funding and it is not a useful parameter for measuring undergraduate degree programs
Original post by Luxys
I have offers from UCL and Durham for law.

My GCSEs are 665542
Do good in A-levels and don't worry about it.

Is there any subjects I should preferably do in a-level for law?
Is there any subjects I should preferably do in a-level for law?

Realistically, as long as you take essay based subjects its unlikely to matter. The grades are what really matters, so take subjects you enjoy, as you're more likely to study and get the grades you need. My advice to you is prepare for the LNAT very early on (so it doesn't interrupt your mocks), aim for A*A*A (easier said than done) and try take at least 2 essay based subjects. If you do that, you should be all good.

PS - History is good to take as its a facilitating subject, so if you enjoy history, that would be a good idea.
Original post by Luxys
Realistically, as long as you take essay based subjects its unlikely to matter. The grades are what really matters, so take subjects you enjoy, as you're more likely to study and get the grades you need. My advice to you is prepare for the LNAT very early on (so it doesn't interrupt your mocks), aim for A*A*A (easier said than done) and try take at least 2 essay based subjects. If you do that, you should be all good.

PS - History is good to take as its a facilitating subject, so if you enjoy history, that would be a good idea.

Would subjects such as English literature, history, religious studies and media be a good variation?
Would subjects such as English literature, history, religious studies and media be a good variation?

The first 3 sound like a perfect combination. I don't know about media but it certainly could be. Unless its a mandatory requirement at your school, id recommend taking 3 A-levels, taking 4 gives you little to no benefit when applying for courses, and the added pressure id say makes it not worth it. Unless of course its something you specifically wanted to do.
my gcse grades are 888A765544, (Maths 7 and English Lang 8), would this prevent me from getting accepted into RG unis? (I’ve applied to Edinburgh and Warwick out of them) also I’m predicted A*AA (entry requirements are AAA)
Russel group isn’t be all and end all. If you’re not doing science then it doesn’t even matter. I did a science subject at a RG uni and they were so disorganised and rude it was horrific. I dropped out and am not at a very good but not RG uni, and it’s way better. RG is not the same thing as Ivy League, it’s about how research intensive they are, not how good they are. Many are actually TEF (teaching quality) silver because they compromise on teaching quality for the research of the lecturers, whilst other great unis are gold.
Original post by bvbx

That’s exactly me but visa versa - still have time to improve though
Original post by Studentystudent!
Russel group isn’t be all and end all. If you’re not doing science then it doesn’t even matter. I did a science subject at a RG uni and they were so disorganised and rude it was horrific. I dropped out and am not at a very good but not RG uni, and it’s way better. RG is not the same thing as Ivy League, it’s about how research intensive they are, not how good they are. Many are actually TEF (teaching quality) silver because they compromise on teaching quality for the research of the lecturers, whilst other great unis are gold.

This is just so so wrong, please don't spread misinformation. Yes, the RG isn't the be all and end all, but to say "if you're not doing science it doesn't matter" is a really dumb thing to say. If so, please explain why 90%+ of top firms and investment banks trainees come from the RG. This is also shown by higher grad salaries among RG graduates. If you don't know much, just don't speak about it, its better for everyone that way.
Original post by Luxys
This is just so so wrong, please don't spread misinformation. Yes, the RG isn't the be all and end all, but to say "if you're not doing science it doesn't matter" is a really dumb thing to say. If so, please explain why 90%+ of top firms and investment banks trainees come from the RG. This is also shown by higher grad salaries among RG graduates. If you don't know much, just don't speak about it, its better for everyone that way.

Wow this reply was rude. Honestly it doesn’t matter just go to a good uni for your course. It’s better to go to a good uni that can run your course well than a good and RG uni that may only be average for your course. And I was talking from MY experience so please don’t be so rude and condescending.

Quick Reply

Latest