The Student Room Group

A level choices

I've got to choose my A-levels soon but I'm not sure what to choose. I would maybe like to go into finance as a career. I was thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths, French, Russian and an EPQ but I'm not sure as I'd also like to do Economics and maybe even Politics, English or Sociology. I took Geography, French, Economics and Russian (and the other mandatory subjects) for my GCSEs. Does anyone have any advice?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go for economics im just finishing it now, great course you learn a lot it will help with finance. Universities do favour sciences aswell.
Since you want to go into finance I would recommend accounting as one of your choices if it is available and business would probably help ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Cheesecake04
Since you want to go into finance I would recommend accounting as one of your choices if it is available and business would probably help ?

Definatly economics over business unis regard it as a harder/more advanced option
Reply 4
Thanks guys! I want to do Economics but French is my best subject and I think I should do Maths and Further Maths for finance so I don't know what to scrap.
Do go through the specifications for all the subjects you're considering. it will give you a good understanding. As long as you keep Further Maths and do 4 + EPQ, you'll be fine :smile:
i

Original post by NatashaKuz
Thanks guys! I want to do Economics but French is my best subject and I think I should do Maths and Further Maths for finance so I don't know what to scrap.

i would scrap fm
Reply 7
Original post by snow.fall15
Do go through the specifications for all the subjects you're considering. it will give you a good understanding. As long as you keep Further Maths and do 4 + EPQ, you'll be fine :smile:

Sorry but what do you mean by 4+?
Sorry but what do you mean by 4+?

I think they mean 4 a levels plus an EPQ.
Reply 9

Definitely no to both of these to get into even an okay uni
These are the A-levels offered at my school in case you were wondering:

Art, Photography, Biology, Business, Politics, Economics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Design Technology, Digital Media, Drama, English, EPQ, Film and Media studies, Food Science and Nutrition, French Geography, History, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Physics, Religious Education, Sociology, Psychology and Spanish
I would say business, economics , maths and probably a language ?
I would say business, economics , maths and probably a language ?

Thank you! Do you think I should drop further maths then so I can do Economics as well as maths and a language(I don't think my school lets you do both business and economics)?
I think they mean 4 a levels plus an EPQ.

That makes sense, thanks
Thank you! Do you think I should drop further maths then so I can do Economics as well as maths and a language(I don't think my school lets you do both business and economics)?

I personally would so yes.
I think I'm sort of getting there with deciding my options. I think I'm going to take Maths, Further Maths, French and Economics or Maths, Further Maths, French and English. I'm probably going to drop one in Year 12. I'm also going to do a Russian A level with my tutor and an EPQ. What do you guys think is better? English or Economics? English is a facilitating subject and would be better if I didn't go on to study finance. French is my best subject along with Maths so I might study it at Uni. There is a lot of literature analysis involved in that degree so an English A level would probably really help me.
I've got to choose my A-levels soon but I'm not sure what to choose. I would maybe like to go into finance as a career. I was thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths, French, Russian and an EPQ but I'm not sure as I'd also like to do Economics and maybe even Politics, English or Sociology. I took Geography, French, Economics and Russian (and the other mandatory subjects) for my GCSEs. Does anyone have any advice?

I'd deffo do economics.
I'd also look at the course on unis websites just to see if there's any subjects they specify.
I've nearly decided my A levels. I'm thinking either:
Maths, Further Maths, French, Russian and an EPQ
Maths, Economics, French, Russian and an EPQ
Maths, English, French, Russian and an EPQ

What do you guys think?
I've nearly decided my A levels. I'm thinking either:
Maths, Further Maths, French, Russian and an EPQ
Maths, Economics, French, Russian and an EPQ
Maths, English, French, Russian and an EPQ

What do you guys think?

Do maths, econ and two languages :tongue: trust me you’ll be more employable with languages lol
If you're a top student I'd highly recommend FM. Ppl here saying not to do it but say you want to go to LSE and do a pure finance degree, you need FM. Say you want to go to a tip uni to study economics, further maths is perfect for that. Stick with FM, us it'll also reduce your workload to an extent for maths. From there go off on what you like but just a note that from what I've heard MFL A levels are very challenging. Also saw a comment saying to do business and Econ, also not a good idea. The advice you get will be more dependent on what sort of student you are. If you are very ambitious and want to go to the creme de la crème make sure you know what A levels are required and what will set you in good stead.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest