The Student Room Group

What happens if someone plagiarises my essay?

I was tutoring someone, anyway long story short she asked to see my coursework. With hindsight, it was very stupid to have sent her a copy of my coursework, but I didn't see the problem with it just because I had already completed and submitted my coursework 2 years ago.

However she then blocked me and hasn't contacted me since. I'm worried about her potentially plagiarising my essay and me getting in trouble as a result. Does anyone know if this means that I would get in trouble/ my a-level grade from two years ago will be taken away from me? I'm really stressed.
Just contact that person's school and report them. If you don't know the name of their school, contact the exam board and report them.
Reply 2
Original post by Quick-use
Just contact that person's school and report them. If you don't know the name of their school, contact the exam board and report them.

I was thinking about doing this but what if it impacts me negatively?
Original post by Anonymous
I was thinking about doing this but what if it impacts me negatively?

You're a victim in this remember. Just report them. :fluffy:
Reply 4
You're a victim in this remember. Just report them. :fluffy:

True, but I'm not sure if there are rules about sharing old coursework, in which case I would have broken rules myself and may get in trouble :frown:
True, but I'm not sure if there are rules about sharing old coursework, in which case I would have broken rules myself and may get in trouble :frown:

There are example essays on the exam boards' own websites. Teachers also share example essays or model answers and the like. So, you shouldn't worry.

That said, I can't stress how important it is for you to report this to the school or exam board and explain everything. Otherwise, they might assume you were complicit in all this and potentially sold your essay to the student. You'd get into trouble in that instance for sure.

Ergo, if you truly are worried (which you should be), you have to take the first step and report this.
Reply 6
There are example essays on the exam boards' own websites. Teachers also share example essays or model answers and the like. So, you shouldn't worry.

That said, I can't stress how important it is for you to report this to the school or exam board and explain everything. Otherwise, they might assume you were complicit in all this and potentially sold your essay to the student. You'd get into trouble in that instance for sure.

Ergo, if you truly are worried (which you should be), you have to take the first step and report this.

Lots of people sell their old coursework online - I didn't do this though.

I have evidence that I was tutoring her. I see your point but I feel by reporting it to the exam board I'm creating a problem that likely would have never come about if you see what I mean.
How about you tell the exam board what happened and tell them to keep an eye on her and whether her essay will be the same as yours or something?
Reply 8
Original post by SparkleFace
How about you tell the exam board what happened and tell them to keep an eye on her and whether her essay will be the same as yours or something?

I would but I don't really want her to get in trouble either. When I sent it to her I let her know that it was my coursework and she would get in trouble if she plagiarised it bc its already been marked etc, and she told me she had already handed her coursework in/ was doing a different question and she had no intention of copying it.

Basically I think I might be overthinking this entire thing, but I'm just worried is all.
Reply 9
I just worked really really hard on my A-level, and I'm worried if they think I was complicit or whatever they would take away my grade too. Even though rationally, I did my coursework two, actually three years ago now, so there is clear proof that I did my A-level first.

I don't think they would go so far to take away my A-level grade though.
I just worked really really hard on my A-level, and I'm worried if they think I was complicit or whatever they would take away my grade too. Even though rationally, I did my coursework two, actually three years ago now, so there is clear proof that I did my A-level first.

There have been instances where they have done that. Even at my school, this has been the case.

Again, I keep advising you the same thing - report this to the student's school or the exam board (if you don't know their school name). You can easily solve this before it gets out of control by telling the school what's happened. This would allow them to take swift action. Otherwise, if you do nothing - then, it's all a waiting game to see how badly everyone's affected.

You’ve been given advice. I don’t understand why you are not taking it. Quick-use has told you, you will be fine.
Now you have two options:
1) Leave it (which I wouldn’t recommend)
2) Report it
(edited 3 years ago)
I was tutoring someone, anyway long story short she asked to see my coursework. With hindsight, it was very stupid to have sent her a copy of my coursework, but I didn't see the problem with it just because I had already completed and submitted my coursework 2 years ago.

However she then blocked me and hasn't contacted me since. I'm worried about her potentially plagiarising my essay and me getting in trouble as a result. Does anyone know if this means that I would get in trouble/ my a-level grade from two years ago will be taken away from me? I'm really stressed.

Report her - this is one of the reasons it's not good to tutor as you can think you are helping and get caught out. This person will be submitting your workk as hers and getting a grade she does not deserve. You must act ... it won't affect you.

It won't have any effect on your A levels and there's no-one to get in trouble with. It was poor tutoring practice, but I guess you aren't a professional tutor and will learn from this.

Quick Reply

Latest