The Student Room Group

Paramedic

I'm 26 and currently applying for uni to study paramedic science and will be leaving full-time work with the military to study full time to become a paramedic but I'm unsure that I'm taking the right path to becoming a paramedic and if this is the best way to do it given the current situation we are all in.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GHawthorne
I'm 26 and currently applying for uni to study paramedic science and will be leaving full-time work with the military to study full time to become a paramedic but I'm unsure that I'm taking the right path to becoming a paramedic and if this is the best way to do it given the current situation we are all in.

Look up the Open university as they have mostly distance learning for theory and then you try get placement in the NHS or they try to help you- its worth speaking to one of their career advisors as you will find out more. have a look at their website and look at courses and find out the details as they do loads of degrees regarding your area of interest. there's also maintenance loans available via the NHS grant while you are studying and on the job practical , hope this was useful depending on your personal circumstances the Open University are lovely people always willing to help and fit stuff around your own commitments , regards Shane
Reply 2
Original post by sml901
Look up the Open university as they have mostly distance learning for theory and then you try get placement in the NHS or they try to help you- its worth speaking to one of their career advisors as you will find out more. have a look at their website and look at courses and find out the details as they do loads of degrees regarding your area of interest. there's also maintenance loans available via the NHS grant while you are studying and on the job practical , hope this was useful depending on your personal circumstances the Open University are lovely people always willing to help and fit stuff around your own commitments , regards Shane

I haven't seen any courses that relate to becoming a paramedic though, maybe health and social care but I heard that people don't get far with this degree.
Reply 3
I haven't seen any courses that relate to becoming a paramedic though, maybe health and social care but I heard that people don't get far with t

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/paramedic-science more info
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
I haven't seen any courses that relate to becoming a paramedic though, maybe health and social care but I heard that people don't get far with this degree.

from what ive read you need a biology degree before applying specifically for a paramedic degree
Reply 5
Original post by sml901
from what ive read you need a biology degree before applying specifically for a paramedic degree

You've heard wrong then because you don't need a biology degree to study paramedic science. What I'm asking is being 26 and going to uni the right move or should I pursue a different which would be working with an ambulance trust to become a paramedic.
Reply 6
You've heard wrong then because you don't need a biology degree to study paramedic science. What I'm asking is being 26 and going to uni the right move or should I pursue a different which would be working with an ambulance trust to become a

Paramedic science course entry requirements- I didn't hear wrong the previous message was what I have read. I am actually someone sharing advice based on what I have read, so here's below the exact statement-baring in mind every University has different entry requirements-possible further research and contact with all the universities then you will know everything you need to know.

Submit a portfolio
Audition for a place
Take an entry test
Show work experience
Paramedic Science | Subject Guide | UCAS
www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/paramedic-science
Was this helpful?
PEOPLE ALSO ASK
What are the requirements for a Paramedic Science degree?
Combining social skills with vast medical knowledge is a unique ability, and one that paramedic science students master during their degree. Paramedic science course entry requirements Biology is the most important subject when applying for a paramedic science degree, with the other sciences and mathematics close behind.

Original post by sml901

This is incorrect.
Reply 8
Original post by glassalice
This is incorrect.

read above
Hi, can I ask what you are currently doing in the military? I was thinking about possibly joining the RAMC as a CMT and study an Access to HE and then progress to paramedic science at university afterwards.
Original post by sml901
read above

You don't need a degree.
The OU do not offer a degree in paramedic science.

Original post by tyeed
Hi, can I ask what you are currently doing in the military? I was thinking about possibly joining the RAMC as a CMT and study an Access to HE and then progress to paramedic science at university afterwards.

This ^
Reply 11
Original post by tyeed

I'm just in the Infantry and I have served 8 years so far. That would be a good path to take to study the access to HE whilst being a CMT but there are long waits for CMT selection because it's a popular job. There are some benefits such as the army pay for your tuition fees (Publicly Funded Further Education/Higher Education (PF FE/HE) but you have to serve 4 years for that. So really if you smashed out the access to HE you could be in uni and qualified within that time.

I've spoken to a lot of CMTs and the army doesn't really require you to be a paramedic and at the moment I don't know what is happening with the paramedic training within the army for CMTs to get qualified. In the past, CMTs from all services could become paramedics even reservists but I don't where the military is heading with CMTs becoming paramedics.
Reply 12
Original post by sml901
Paramedic science course entry requirements- I didn't hear wrong the previous message was what I have read. I am actually someone sharing advice based on what I have read, so here's below the exact statement-baring in mind every University has different entry requirements-possible further research and contact with all the universities then you will know everything you need to know.

Submit a portfolio
Audition for a place
Take an entry test
Show work experience
Was this helpful?
PEOPLE ALSO ASK
What are the requirements for a Paramedic Science degree?
Combining social skills with vast medical knowledge is a unique ability, and one that paramedic science students master during their degree. Paramedic science course entry requirements Biology is the most important subject when applying for a paramedic science degree, with the other sciences and mathematics close behind.

Dude thank you but you ain't being helpful.

There are two ways to become a paramedic. You can go to uni and do a degree in paramedic science, or you can join an ambulance Trust and work your way up.

To go to uni you need A Levels or equivalent (such as your access to higher education). If you're doing A Levels then some unis want a science subject. You'll also need maths and English GCSEs at grades A*-C or the newfangled equivalent. Different unis have different requirements so you'll need to check grades with the ones you're interested in.

If you join a Trust then you'll most likely go in as a Trainee Technician or AAP. This is like a step below a paramedic. You'll then qualify as a technician and can apply for the paramedic course. You'll earn while working and they pay your course fees so it is quite competitive.

If you already have a degree, you do not get student finance for paramedicine as a second degree.
Original post by BlueLightDriver
There are two ways to become a paramedic. You can go to uni and do a degree in paramedic science, or you can join an ambulance Trust and work your way up.

To go to uni you need A Levels or equivalent (such as your access to higher education). If you're doing A Levels then some unis want a science subject. You'll also need maths and English GCSEs at grades A*-C or the newfangled equivalent. Different unis have different requirements so you'll need to check grades with the ones you're interested in.

If you join a Trust then you'll most likely go in as a Trainee Technician or AAP. This is like a step below a paramedic. You'll then qualify as a technician and can apply for the paramedic course. You'll earn while working and they pay your course fees so it is quite competitive.

If you already have a degree, you do not get student finance for paramedicine as a second degree.

Very very very competitive. If your goal is to be a paramedic just go to university.
Original post by tyeed
Very very very competitive. If your goal is to be a paramedic just go to university.

Depends on your life circumstances and your reasons for doing it. I went the Trust route so it is possible.
Original post by BlueLightDriver
Depends on your life circumstances and your reasons for doing it. I went the Trust route so it is possible.

Out of curiosity how long did it take you to get accepted?
Reply 17
Original post by tyeed

Yeah I'm going to commit to the uni path but I just had a knock because I had an interview with Gloucestershire and the next day they emailed me back saying I was unsuccessful but I have two more interviews so hopefully it goes well.
Yeah I'm going to commit to the uni path but I just had a knock because I had an interview with Gloucestershire and the next day they emailed me back saying I was unsuccessful but I have two more interviews so hopefully it goes well.

Damn. Sorry for the news, what sort of things could you work on? What is your experince in healthcare? Grades? I hope you get it in the next interviews!
Reply 19
Original post by tyeed
Damn. Sorry for the news, what sort of things could you work on? What is your experince in healthcare? Grades? I hope you get it in the next interviews!

So the feedback I got was just that I need to expand more on the role of a paramedic. I don't know if you can help with some information about this, just more of what a paramedic can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending