The Student Room Group

Computer Science: Oxford or Cambridge

Currently in year 12 and looking to apply to Oxbridge but having a hard time deciding weather Oxford or Cambridge would be better. From what I have found Cambridge is generally regarded as the better one for cs but after looking at the website I am finding it hard to pick one.I am studying maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and computer science and got decent GCSEs. I am much more interested in the programming and algorithms side of cs than computer architecture and networking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Nathan8520
Currently in year 12 and looking to apply to Oxbridge but having a hard time deciding weather Oxford or Cambridge would be better. From what I have found Cambridge is generally regarded as the better one for cs but after looking at the website I am finding it hard to pick one.I am studying maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and computer science and got decent GCSEs. I am much more interested in the programming and algorithms side of cs than computer architecture and networking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go somewhere offering a year in industry ..
Ignore people who come on Oxbridge threads and tell you to go elsewhere.
definitely look through the course summaries of both, see what modules are more suited to you! i think cambridge do study stuff like networking and architecture, but at oxford i think these are just options so you wouldnt have to take them. they're both very mathematical in nature though, so look deeply into the courses and see what you'd enjoy more. good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Go somewhere offering a year in industry ..

Is it good to do a year in industry the third year and then apply to oxbridge for masters?
Original post by oppiwall
Ignore people who come on Oxbridge threads and tell you to go elsewhere.

Why? Some degrees are better elsewhere ...
Original post by bvbx
Is it good to do a year in industry the third year and then apply to oxbridge for masters?

I would ...
Original post by Nathan8520

I believe Bill Gates/Microsoft funded a whole research centre in Cambridge so on that basis im inclined to say Cambridge. But I suspect the relative difference in exit prospects will be negligible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending