The Student Room Group

18 year old need to gain weight

Hey!
I am 18 years old, and i am VERY skinny. I don't mind being skinny, in fact i'd be happy skinny. The problem is that i am waaaay to skinny. I don't feel comfortable sharing my weight, but i'm about 184 cm.
I started with a gainer called " Supreme mass " and i drink it twice a day, which gives me around 950 calories extra in total a day.
I started yesterday, and i'm eating breakfast, lunch and dinner up upon that, and i eat some teaspoons of peanutbutter every now and then throughout the day.
Do you think this will help me gain weight?
Background;
Tried gainer last year which was 1250kcal a serving, some days i drank a total of 2500 ( 2 portions ) a day combined with 3 meals a day. Still i didn't even gain half a kilo for a whole month of that. All throughout my life i have been eating like a horse, alot in general, alot of junk food, and i still can't gain weight, even tho i don't workout or burn calories.
It's simple for people to say " Eat more calories than you burn " but trust me that is not enough.
Thinking back of this period, i feel like i might not have eaten all 3 meals besides the gainer all days, i wasn't fully commited. Hence i wanna start now again, eat my normal meals, no exceptions, and drinking this gainer for 950kcal extra a day.
Do you have any other tips for small foods or snacks i can eat during the day? I have bracers so just eating peanuts or nuts won't be so good for my bracers i think, just putting it out there.
And to sum it up, do you think if i continue like this i will gain weight? My goal to begin with is to gain 10 kilos, so i atleast can feel comfortable with my type of skinny. Right now i am WAY to skinny.

I need some motivation and or some tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skajkk
It's simple for people to say " Eat more calories than you burn " but trust me that is not enough.

No that is literally all that is needed.
Nothing really wrong with what your doing but 2 portions of mass gainer is a lot of empty kcalories and the kcalories in your other meals don't seem to be very significant if you did this last year without gaining anything.
Reply 2
humus+ cucumber sticks
Reply 3
Original post by skajkk

Do you have any other tips for small foods or snacks i can eat during the day? I have bracers so just eating peanuts or nuts won't be so good for my bracers i think, just putting it out there.

Cheeses, yogurt, choc milk
hang around with someone who has an appetite

what is your normal daily intake
Reply 5
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
No that is literally all that is needed.
Nothing really wrong with what your doing but 2 portionyea of mass gainer is a lot of empty kcalories and the kcalories in your other meals don't seem to be very significant if you did this last year without gaining anything.

yeah but i think i was lying to myself of much much i actually ate around it, and i probably wasn't drinking the right portion of the gainer. This time im being real with myself with not exceptions and i need this weight and im gonna fight for it
edit: Last 2 years i haven't gone to any sports or worked out, i was doing it up until i was around 15-16. The only calories i burn is when walking around to school, going to the bus etc. And there has barely been any of that for a year cuz of quarantine. I don't burn calories really, but i consume alot of it
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by qwertuyuyuy
hang around with someone who has an appetite

what is your normal daily intake

To be honest i don't know, but i think right now im going somewhere between 3000-3500 with this gainer maybe... Not sure, hard to count calories, im so bad at it. For example counting calories of how much of whatever i have on my sandwiches, small snacks etc it's hard
Original post by skajkk
To be honest i don't know, but i think right now im going somewhere between 3000-3500 with this gainer maybe... Not sure, hard to count calories, im so bad at it. For example counting calories of how much of whatever i have on my sandwiches, small snacks etc it's hard

At those kcalories with no activity you should gain weight. Buy a scale.
Reply 8
Original post by TSR2020
Cheeses, yogurt, choc milk

yeah i was thinking about doing some sort of smoothie on full fat yoghurt, peanut butter, berries etc but i think the gainer is doing the work for drinking the calories. I'll probably get some yoghurt and berries to eat in a bowl normally, think it's a simple and effective lil meal
Reply 9
From someone who has gained nearly 30kg over the past year, increased my deadlift from 50kg to over 180kg I can tell you that all it is is eating when you don't think you have to. Workout at the same time though!

Also ditch the gainer, it's expensive. Buy a blender and make a shake. I eat a 3 egg omelette then have a shake which is up to 2000 calories if I want it to be, then throughout the day snack on raisins, bananas, high calorie food. Make sure to put olive oil on everything as well.

The shake I take has: 1 cup granola, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop creatine, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup blueberries/raspberries, 1 banana, honey.

It's a mindset.
Original post by finn61
From someone who has gained nearly 30kg over the past year, increased my deadlift from 50kg to over 180kg I can tell you that all it is is eating when you don't think you have to. Workout at the same time though!

Also ditch the gainer, it's expensive. Buy a blender and make a shake. I eat a 3 egg omelette then have a shake which is up to 2000 calories if I want it to be, then throughout the day snack on raisins, bananas, high calorie food. Make sure to put olive oil on everything as well.

The shake I take has: 1 cup granola, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop creatine, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup blueberries/raspberries, 1 banana, honey.

It's a mindset.

This method will also be a lot cheaper OP, don't need the creatine tho for your use case if you are not working out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Also I want to add if you're gaining weight and not working out you will more than likely add it as fat, and skinny fat is not a good look!
You can get get special like milkshake things that will gain weight. These are especially good if it’s not liking eating.
I do advise not to just binge McDonald’s as this could cause problems in the future.
Reply 13
Original post by skajkk
Hey!
I am 18 years old, and i am VERY skinny. I don't mind being skinny, in fact i'd be happy skinny. The problem is that i am waaaay to skinny. I don't feel comfortable sharing my weight, but i'm about 184 cm.
I started with a gainer called " Supreme mass " and i drink it twice a day, which gives me around 950 calories extra in total a day.
I started yesterday, and i'm eating breakfast, lunch and dinner up upon that, and i eat some teaspoons of peanutbutter every now and then throughout the day.
Do you think this will help me gain weight?
Background;
Tried gainer last year which was 1250kcal a serving, some days i drank a total of 2500 ( 2 portions ) a day combined with 3 meals a day. Still i didn't even gain half a kilo for a whole month of that. All throughout my life i have been eating like a horse, alot in general, alot of junk food, and i still can't gain weight, even tho i don't workout or burn calories.
Thinking back of this period, i feel like i might not have eaten all 3 meals besides the gainer all days, i wasn't fully commited. Hence i wanna start now again, eat my normal meals, no exceptions, and drinking this gainer for 950kcal extra a day.
And to sum it up, do you think if i continue like this i will gain weight? My goal to begin with is to gain 10 kilos, so i atleast can feel comfortable with my type of skinny. Right now i am WAY to skinny.

I need some motivation and or some tips

Hello, I feel like this is something I can offer you alot of help with as when I have managed to put on 20kg in the last year. First of all, alot of people think that they are in a calorie surplus but actually aren't, so I recommend you track your calories on myfitnesspal for a few days, just to see if you are really in a surplus ( I recommend about 3500 kcal per day). I recommend creating a consistent meal plan that will provide you with enough calories, and eat the same meals every day to ensure that you are consistently in the surplus. My meal plan is 4 toasts with 3 scrambled eggs, 2 chicken thai wraps, 2 bowls of coco pops, 2 scoops of myprotein impact whey with milk, 1 glass of myprotein clear whey isolate for an extra 20 grams of protein( it just tastes like juice), and a bowl of spaghetti, chicken and brocolli and a big bowl of fruit. Anything else I have in the day is just bonus calories. Eating junk food is ok too but make sure you are having proper meals as well as these are full of protein and good calories. In terms of liquid calories, you could add frozen berries, peanut butter, chocolate spread, ice cream, golden syrup, oats and honey to your mass gainer powder if you like and that will be over 2000 calories in the drink. Anyway that's diet sorted, but training is also very important, let me know if you would like my advice for that too, hope this helps. Bonus tip: And watch Joe Fazer on youtube:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by finn61

It's a mindset.

This method will also be a lot cheaper OP, don't need the creatine tho for your use case if you are not working out.

Yeah, thanks for the tip, i might look into that later. As of now i have bought gainer so it will last me for about a month to begin with, to see what flavors etc i like. The money isn't a problem to pay for the gainer, and to be honest, it tastes pretty good and it isn't to fat at all, it's kinda perfect. But i will later try your mix, and also the olive oil tip. Thanks!
And yeah, the creatine part isn't necessary for me as of now, i need to just gain some pure weight / fat whatever before i start working out, as i said, i am really waaaay to skinny, you couldn't imagine. When i gained some kilos i'll feel more comfortable to going to the gym and working out properly and eating more and more.
Reply 15
Original post by finn61
Also I want to add if you're gaining weight and not working out you will more than likely add it as fat, and skinny fat is not a good look!

Yeah, skinny fat isn't a nice look, but i wouldn't mind being like that. I need to get some weight before i start working out properly at a gym. Just need to gain few kilos first!
Original post by skajkk
Yeah, skinny fat isn't a nice look, but i wouldn't mind being like that. I need to get some weight before i start working out properly at a gym. Just need to gain few kilos first!

No start working out now. What's the point of gaining kilos of fat when those could be kilos of lean mass?
Reply 17
Original post by RG54
Hello, I feel like this is something I can offer you alot of help with as when I have managed to put on 20kg in the last year. First of all, alot of people think that they are in a calorie surplus but actually aren't, so I recommend you track your calories on myfitnesspal for a few days, just to see if you are really in a surplus ( I recommend about 3500 kcal per day). I recommend creating a consistent meal plan that will provide you with enough calories, and eat the same meals every day to ensure that you are consistently in the surplus. My meal plan is 4 toasts with 3 scrambled eggs, 2 chicken thai wraps, 2 bowls of coco pops , 2 scoops of myprotein impact whey with milk, 1 glass of myprotein clear whey isolate for an extra 20 grams of protein( it just tastes like juice), and a bowl of spaghetti, chicken and brocolli and a big bowl of fruit. Anything else I have in the day is just bonus calories. Eating junk food is ok too but make sure you are having proper meals as well as these are full of protein and good calories. In terms of liquid calories, you could add frozen berries, peanut butter, chocolate spread, ice cream, golden syrup, oats and honey to your mass gainer powder if you like and that will be over 2000 calories in the drink. Anyway that's diet sorted, but training is also very important, let me know if you would like my advice for that too, hope this helps. Bonus tip: And watch Joe Fazer on youtube:smile:

I have seen him on youtube, i have been looking around alot to get some motivation and tips, to realize it's actually possible if i really wanna achieve it.
With how i have eaten the last 2 days since i started, i am 100% sure i am in the calorie surplus. Im home all day, because of school stuff from home, when i go out it's only for hanging with friends or going to the store, nothing that burns calories much. I have more or less felt full the whole days, and when i'm not im starting to feel abit hungry, which is good i suppose? It feels like my appetite is a bit better, when i'm not full i wanna eat something, which i'm not really used to, i'm used to just skipping eating and wait until dinner, or just grab some small snack.
I find it really hard to count calories, i don't know what to choose in amount of grams for example when making sandwiches and stuff it's just confusing to me. But i think on a normal day with this gainer i land on about 2800-3500 kcal average, i really think that should be enough to gain weight for some really skinny dude just sitting home all days, shouldn't it be? I really want more of your advice, if u can let me contact you somewhere private, means alot dude really appreciate it.
Reply 18
Original post by Eliza.chocolate
You can get get special like milkshake things that will gain weight. These are especially good if it’s not liking eating.
I do advise not to just binge McDonald’s as this could cause problems in the future.

Yeah, but right now with the gainer i feel like i'm not to much into drinking more calories than i do, rather prefer chugging on something lol. But yeah they are great!
Reply 19
No start working out now. What's the point of gaining kilos of fat when those could be kilos of lean mass?

I don't feel comfortable with myself going into a gym as of now, and second, it will burn alot of calories and i will have to eat alot more than i already do, which is also alot. I don't wanna be only muscles when being way to skinny, i think thats ugly. I'd rather gain some kilos, idc if it's fat, then start working out fulltime whilst also gaining weight, i feel like it's the perfect balance

Quick Reply

Latest