The Student Room Group

Sharing room at uni - compulsory

I am debating whether or not to go to university.I would like to be a solicitor when I am older, but am unsure whether I will like university life. I've heard they have lots of parties and people drinking. It's not something I particularly like, I don't drink alcohol (it's against my religion). Also, do you have to share accommodation at university - it's not something I think I'll enjoy.
Original post by Joel Hodgson
I am debating whether or not to go to university.I would like to be a solicitor when I am older, but am unsure whether I will like university life. I've heard they have lots of parties and people drinking. It's not something I particularly like, I don't drink alcohol (it's against my religion). Also, do you have to share accommodation at university - it's not something I think I'll enjoy.

you don't have to do any of that if you don't want to.
you can live at home or find independent accommodation where you live on your own. usually in 1st year uni accommodations, you have a flat where you have your own room and then share a kitchen and possibly a bathroom, or you can pay extra and have an en-suite and even your own kitchen. then in second year and above, you'll usually find a student house to live in.
I don't like parties and don't drink either, and I've applied to uni this year. you can choose to do these at uni but you'll never be forced to and I don't think it'll ever seem like the only thing people do at uni is drink and party.
you can look at student life and accommodation at different unis to see what its like more in depth, but I feel like there isn't one type of 'university life' and I don't think you need to be a party person to enjoy university at all
Im not sure if Ive made much sense here haha, but I hope it helped a bit :smile:
Reply 2
No, that's really uncommon in the UK (to share a room, that is). If you don't want to drink, no one will care. Don't like parties, don't participate.

You should read up on going to uni. There is no one University that everyone goes to. There are many universities with different cultures, sizes, types and communities. From the collegiate universities of Oxbridge and Durham to city-wide unis like UCL and Manchester to campus-types like Surrey and Warwick.

The best advice is to look for the university that may offer your course, check the uni websites and then search for information on the university life there. University experience even within individual universities can be vastly different. So not all students go on to uni to consume pints of alcohol or have a crazed 3 years.

Also, most universities have single-room types of accommodation. So you wont be expected to share a room with anyone unless you choose to live in shared rooms or private accommodation.

As you want to study law, here are some universities:

Cambridge: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/law

Manchester: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/09672/llb-law/

Good luck.

No, almost nobody shares a room (in the UK).
You dont have to drink, you can do what you want.
Hi!
Sharing rooms at university is uncommon, you can get en-suite bathrooms or even a studio (own kitchen) but these can be quite expensive. University life is what you make of it, so if you don't drink, don't worry! You'll make so many new friends and have a great time.
Dear OP

Uni is not prison, lol.

You do what you want or not as the case may be.

FYI, I have studied online to be a lawyer

Case closed
:biggrin: :biggrin: :smile: :smile:
Original post by mnot
No, almost nobody shares a room (in the UK).
You dont have to drink, you can do what you want.

So you don't have to share bathroom facilities?
So you don't have to share bathroom facilities?

You can get an en-suite if you wish. These are more expensive though.
Original post by katierigler
Hi!
Sharing rooms at university is uncommon, you can get en-suite bathrooms or even a studio (own kitchen) but these can be quite expensive. University life is what you make of it, so if you don't drink, don't worry! You'll make so many new friends and have a great time.

Thanks for this - just thought I would ask, beforehand.
Original post by mnot
You can get an en-suite if you wish. These are more expensive though.

So if you do get an en-suite, do you have to pay upfront, or pay gradually with a loan, like a degree?
Thanks for this - just thought I would ask, beforehand.

Of course! Always better to ask.

firstly if you do go you shouldn’t feel pressured into anything you’re an adult and can make your own decisions. most unis offer flat like accommodation where you have your own place from kitchen, bathroom, bedroom etc but this is usually more in cost than most halls. best thing to do is research accommodations and what they offer. i’m not a student yet but there is a lot of partying especially recently from what i’ve seen so maybe look at unis and locations which aren’t known for partying etc good luck
So if you do get an en-suite, do you have to pay upfront, or pay gradually with a loan, like a degree?

Normally in instalments.
University offered accommodation is typically in 3 instalments. Private rented accommodation is more commonly monthly.Im sure they'll take it up front if you offer to pay like that.
Original post by mnot
Normally in instalments.
University offered accommodation is typically in 3 instalments. Private rented accommodation is more commonly monthly.Im sure they'll take it up front if you offer to pay like that.

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
you don't have to do any of that if you don't want to.
you can live at home or find independent accommodation where you live on your own. usually in 1st year uni accommodations, you have a flat where you have your own room and then share a kitchen and possibly a bathroom, or you can pay extra and have an en-suite and even your own kitchen. then in second year and above, you'll usually find a student house to live in.
I don't like parties and don't drink either, and I've applied to uni this year. you can choose to do these at uni but you'll never be forced to and I don't think it'll ever seem like the only thing people do at uni is drink and party.
you can look at student life and accommodation at different unis to see what its like more in depth, but I feel like there isn't one type of 'university life' and I don't think you need to be a party person to enjoy university at all
Im not sure if Ive made much sense here haha, but I hope it helped a bit :smile:

Thanks for this - it is useful advice, It does make sense.

Quick Reply

Latest