The Student Room Group

Degree transfer

I have done 1 year English (passed) and 1 year psychology (failed) and I have suddenly realised what my dream degree is - mental health nursing. I heard that you can get funding for a second degree from Student Finance if its for a degree in a health related subject. I was wondering if anyone knows if I would have to finish my English so I have a degree to then move onto a second one in nursing, or if I could jump straight into it without completing a degree?
Original post by student24689
I have done 1 year English (passed) and 1 year psychology (failed) and I have suddenly realised what my dream degree is - mental health nursing. I heard that you can get funding for a second degree from Student Finance if its for a degree in a health related subject. I was wondering if anyone knows if I would have to finish my English so I have a degree to then move onto a second one in nursing, or if I could jump straight into it without completing a degree?

If you are able to get an offer for a BN/BSc in mental health nursing then you can start in September.

Apply before the January 29 deadline through ucas to have the best chance of an offer.
Original post by PQ
If you are able to get an offer for a BN/BSc in mental health nursing then you can start in September.

Apply before the January 29 deadline through ucas to have the best chance of an offer.

Will Student finance fund me?
Reply 3

Of course you don't have to finish the first degree. It would be silly for them to ask you to do a degree in a subject you don't want to do, just to do a degree in something you do. You can get funding, EVEN if you have done a degree. You don't have to finish a degree to get the funding.

You should call student finance and they will give you the information. Straight from the horses mouth. Asking on here will only get vague and at best un-guaranteed answers.

However, I have heard that you will get funding for this course, even if you have partially or completely finished another degree.

On top of the student loan, you would get a gift of at least £6000 per year from the government.

But do call student finance to get your guarantee.

You only have 8 days to apply though and it's a highly competitive degree.

Do you have the entry requirements for Mental Health Nursing? It varies from Uni to uni of course.

I have just accepted a conditional offer from Surrey with Portsmouth as my second choice. BSc Mental Health Nursing.

Good luck
(edited 3 years ago)

Yes. Nursing is an exempt course. Previous study and qualifications rules aren’t applied.

Be ready to use the pdf/paper application in March though- the online application form is rubbish at spotting exempt courses

Ask in the ask student finance england forum if you’re worried but there’s dozens of threads in there with the same response.
Original post by tfpm80
Of course you don't have to finish the first degree. It would be silly for them to ask you to do a degree in a subject you don't want to do, just to do a degree in something you do. You can get funding, EVEN if you have done a degree. You don't have to finish a degree to get the funding.

You should call student finance and they will give you the information. Straight from the horses mouth. Asking on here will only get vague and at best un-guaranteed answers.

However, I have heard that you will get funding for this course, even if you have partially or completely finished another degree.

On top of the student loan, you would get a gift of at least £6000 per year from the government.

But do call student finance to get your guarantee.

You only have 8 days to apply though and it's a highly competitive degree.

Do you have the entry requirements for Mental Health Nursing? It varies from Uni to uni of course.

I have just accepted a conditional offer from Surrey with Portsmouth as my second choice. BSc Mental Health Nursing.

Good luck

Thank you so much for the help, I will contact SFE today
Original post by PQ
Yes. Nursing is an exempt course. Previous study and qualifications rules aren’t applied.

Be ready to use the pdf/paper application in March though- the online application form is rubbish at spotting exempt courses

Ask in the ask student finance england forum if you’re worried but there’s dozens of threads in there with the same response.

Thank you for this info

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending