The Student Room Group

Portfolio for filmmaking?

Hi ya, im in my last year of my course which visual and special effects BTEC, and im currently applying for Uni's. Most of them have the standard grade requirements and im hopeful that with my grades i will meet them but some ask for a portfolio. I have a couple of short films only one of them is decent i will link it here, but im wondering what all do you need to show, i have allot of graphic design work and art work but then im applying for filmming so i dont know if they will care or be like 'thats a pretty bird, WHERES YOUR FILMS'Would just like some pointers from people who have had to show their portfolio and got in,

Links to my half decent : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td0Wgq6HwMc&ab_channel=Urboisolo
graphic designs : https://dribbble.com/Urboisolo

Any and all feedback is much appreciated
Reply 1
Hey! for my portfolio I have made a showreel and have got into a Uni after sending it to them and another didn't ask for a portfolio.
I would say show them your best work, so you could take your favorite parts of your short film and I checked out your graphic designs and I say it definitely show them your favorite parts from that but it all varies on the type of course you apply for:smile:
If you don't mind me asking, what universities have you applied for?
Reply 2
Original post by raglett
Hey! for my portfolio I have made a showreel and have got into a Uni after sending it to them and another didn't ask for a portfolio.
I would say show them your best work, so you could take your favorite parts of your short film and I checked out your graphic designs and I say it definitely show them your favorite parts from that but it all varies on the type of course you apply for:smile:
If you don't mind me asking, what universities have you applied for?

Hi, thanks for replying, I have applied so far to Arts University Bournemouth, University of Westminster, London, University of Napier, Roe hampton and im still deciding for my last one. They are all courses that teach in the Film production that teach you to operate cameras, edit and produce
Reply 3
Original post by urboisolo
Hi, thanks for replying, I have applied so far to Arts University Bournemouth, University of Westminster, London, University of Napier, Roe hampton and im still deciding for my last one. They are all courses that teach in the Film production that teach you to operate cameras, edit and produce

i’ll just let you know University of Hertfordshire looks really good for film!
I’ve applied for westminster too and we seemed to have applied for the same courses:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by urboisolo
Hi ya, im in my last year of my course which visual and special effects BTEC, and im currently applying for Uni's. Most of them have the standard grade requirements and im hopeful that with my grades i will meet them but some ask for a portfolio. I have a couple of short films only one of them is decent i will link it here, but im wondering what all do you need to show, i have allot of graphic design work and art work but then im applying for filmming so i dont know if they will care or be like 'thats a pretty bird, WHERES YOUR FILMS'Would just like some pointers from people who have had to show their portfolio and got in,

Links to my half decent : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td0Wgq6HwMc&ab_channel=Urboisolo
graphic designs : https://dribbble.com/Urboisolo

Any and all feedback is much appreciated

I showed my showreel for both Screen and Film School Brighton and Arts Uni Bournemouth and got into both (I'm now at SFS). What I would suggest is to make a showreel with clips from your short film (not the whole thing) and then some of your graphic design work. When presenting it, you can then talk about what is being shown, how you did it and show your enthusiasm. The most important thing is to show that you are interested in the course and enjoy doing what you do. Keep the showreel no longer than 3 minutes i'd suggest and include clips of the work you're most proud of :smile: I hope that helped!
Reply 5
Original post by raglett
i’ll just let you know University of Hertfordshire looks really good for film!
I’ve applied for westminster too and we seemed to have applied for the same courses:smile:

Oh wow, hope you get in
Reply 6
Original post by lucyr-p
I showed my showreel for both Screen and Film School Brighton and Arts Uni Bournemouth and got into both (I'm now at SFS). What I would suggest is to make a showreel with clips from your short film (not the whole thing) and then some of your graphic design work. When presenting it, you can then talk about what is being shown, how you did it and show your enthusiasm. The most important thing is to show that you are interested in the course and enjoy doing what you do. Keep the showreel no longer than 3 minutes i'd suggest and include clips of the work you're most proud of :smile: I hope that helped!

Cheers, yes i have started to create a short portfolio on a youtube account that i will show them when asked. PS you got into both? Did you attend both Unis or just picked one you liked most?
Reply 7
I picked SFS in the end and now in my second year :smile: x
Reply 8
Original post by lucyr-p
I picked SFS in the end and now in my second year :smile: x

Ayo thats great, how do you find it? Do they offer you to get a job anywhere after uni?
Reply 9
Honestly, I’m loving it and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I’ve already learnt so much and loving my time there - it’s just such a nice environment. They are really good at finding students jobs after uni as over the summer of second year, they plan placements for students which give contacts to then hopefully help into the third year. I’ve never come across a uni that helps and cares about their students and life after uni as much as this one if I’m being honest!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending