The Student Room Group

MPP at Blavatnik School of Government

Hello,

Have anyone ever applied or applying to the Master of Public Policy at Blavatnik School of Government ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Joe_10234
Hello,

Have anyone ever applied or applying to the Master of Public Policy at Blavatnik School of Government ?

Hey, I've applied this year. Submitted my application last month. Looks like we'll get to know the outcome only in March 2021. How about you?
Original post by pj2294
Hey, I've applied this year. Submitted my application last month. Looks like we'll get to know the outcome only in March 2021. How about you?

Congratulations on getting Cambridge. You still going to wait for Oxford or withdraw your application?

I just submitted my application to study an Mphil in Public Policy at Cambridge 2 days ago and submitted my application, and have a candidate/reference number.. I am waiting on my references to submit there's, but that should be done shortly.

My application status is currently at "submitted". How long will it take before I get to the next stage when it is under review by department, then the degree committee, and then the the GAO stage and finally receive my outcome (accept/reject).

Also is it worth applying to UCL to? or they don't really compare to Oxford, Cambridge and ofcourse LSE?
Hello,

Hi, I am. I applied on the 10th of this month to Cambridge though and I am still waiting for the feedback.
Original post by Enkaysonia
Hi, I am. I applied on the 10th of this month to Cambridge though and I am still waiting for the feedback.

Hello, have your references been done? Does your application still say submitted?
Original post by Italiansteel8
Hello, have your references been done? Does your application still say submitted?

Mine says 'under review by department' and my references have been submitted as well,
Original post by Enkaysonia
Mine says 'under review by department' and my references have been submitted as well,

Ok great, how long did it take after references were submitted did it go from ‘submitted’ to ‘under review by department’?
Reply 7
Original post by Italiansteel8
Congratulations on getting Cambridge. You still going to wait for Oxford or withdraw your application?

I just submitted my application to study an Mphil in Public Policy at Cambridge 2 days ago and submitted my application, and have a candidate/reference number.. I am waiting on my references to submit there's, but that should be done shortly.

My application status is currently at "submitted". How long will it take before I get to the next stage when it is under review by department, then the degree committee, and then the the GAO stage and finally receive my outcome (accept/reject).

Also is it worth applying to UCL to? or they don't really compare to Oxford, Cambridge and ofcourse LSE?

Hey, thanks. I think I'll wait to hear from Oxford too. I can arrive at a final choice only after I get some clarity on scholarships. So absolutely no question of withdrawing my Oxford application.

With regards to the Cambridge timeline, it took a good two months from the day I submitted my application to get my conditional offer (there is no clear timeline for each stage--you can check the Cambridge thread in detail to get an idea of how long it took for different people to go through each stage). Plus, I applied in early September, almost right after the application cycle opened. So things might take longer for you.
Reply 8
Hello,

Hi,

I have applied for the MPP course at BSG last month. Seems like it’s a long wait till the decision is out. I have also applied to University of Cambridge and LSE for the same course. Got an offer from LSE few days back but not accepting as of now as I am more interested in the other two.
Reply 9
Original post by Bari_K
Hi,

I have applied for the MPP course at BSG last month. Seems like it’s a long wait till the decision is out. I have also applied to University of Cambridge and LSE for the same course. Got an offer from LSE few days back but not accepting as of now as I am more interested in the other two.

Good to meet you. I got rejected by LSE but have an offer from Cambridge. Waiting to hear from Oxford. Final decision will depend on the funding I get (if any).
(edited 3 years ago)
May I know what grades are expected for applying for MPP? I know that First Class honours is basically a must... But what if there is one or two B grades in the transcript even though the outcome is first class honours? I would be very grateful for any advice on this!
Reply 11
Original post by Aarontonggg
May I know what grades are expected for applying for MPP? I know that First Class honours is basically a must... But what if there is one or two B grades in the transcript even though the outcome is first class honours? I would be very grateful for any advice on this!

"Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK High II.i Honours Degree."

https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/popimppup/requirements
Original post by pj2294
"Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK High II.i Honours Degree."

https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/popimppup/requirements

Right! Thank you very much! How about MPP at oxford! I have never applied to Oxford/Cambridge and I am wondering how competitive it is. I got a unexpected B grade for the last semester, I am worrying like hell that it would make it impossible to apply to MPP at oxford/cambridge.....
Reply 13
Original post by Aarontonggg
Right! Thank you very much! How about MPP at oxford! I have never applied to Oxford/Cambridge and I am wondering how competitive it is. I got a unexpected B grade for the last semester, I am worrying like hell that it would make it impossible to apply to MPP at oxford/cambridge.....

Don't stress out about the individual grades. Your academic grades are just a small part of the overall application (I merely passed one of my papers from my previous degree, but I have other academic and work achievements to compensate for it). Oxford's MPP, I think, is more competitive with around 6 to 7 applicants for each seat. Focus on your essays, other scores and the policy essay. I'd say they mater a lot more than some individual grade from your undergrad.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pj2294
Don't stress out about the individual grades. Your academic grades are just a small part of the overall application (I merely passed one of my papers from my previous degree, but I have other academic and work achievements to compensate for it). Oxford's MPP, I think, is more competitive with around 6 to 7 applicants for each seat. Focus on your essays, other scores and the policy essay. I'd say they mater a lot more than some individual grade from your undergrad.

Thank you for your great advice, that's really helpful and thank you so much. I am still an undergrad and will graduate in 2022. I am thinking about applying for MPP and I am taken aback by how competitive it can be (especially for a fresh grad). Congrats to your offer at Cambridge and I hope you get the offer from Oxford too! More tips on succeeding in application for MPP would be much appreciated :smile: Thanks so much!
Reply 15
Hello everyone,

To all of those apliying to Cambridge and Oxford, does anyone know how the Cambridge MPhil in Public Policy compares to Oxford’s? I know Oxford’s MPP is more reputed, has a larger class size and it is an older course compared to its Cambridge alternative, but in other aspects what do you think?
Original post by Lc1155
Hello everyone,

To all of those apliying to Cambridge and Oxford, does anyone know how the Cambridge MPhil in Public Policy compares to Oxford’s? I know Oxford’s MPP is more reputed, has a larger class size and it is an older course compared to its Cambridge alternative, but in other aspects what do you think?

I think the Cambridge MPhil is way more research-focused while the MPP is comparable to an MBA (they focus on how to improve your professional potential). So I would advise you to think if you prefer to go forward in academia (MPhil) or public/private/NGO sectors (MPP).
Original post by pj2294
Good to meet you. I got rejected by LSE but have an offer from Cambridge. Waiting to hear from Oxford. Final decision will depend on the funding I get (if any).

Hey, would you mind sharing when did you apply to the LSE MPP? I received my ID on 4th December and hadn't heard any news since.
Hey all

Does anyone know something about the MSc Public Policy & Management at KCL?
I got an offer for this programme, but haven't seen anyone talking about its reputation or anything.
I also applied to the LSE and Oxford MPPs, and as I haven't heard anything from LSE until now, I'm thinking if maybe I should apply to a 4th course elsewhere that is more strong than the KCLs one...

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply 19
Original post by politicspro
Hey, would you mind sharing when did you apply to the LSE MPP? I received my ID on 4th December and hadn't heard any news since.

I applied very early. Just a day or two after the application portal opened for this year. I heard back within days too, perhaps because they didn't have too many applications to consider so early in the cycle.

Quick Reply

Latest