The Student Room Group

Should I inform my personal tutor (she is a psychiatrist) about my extreme mood swing

Original post by glassalice
She won't be able to advise you in a professional capacity.
You need to contact your GP and either ask for a referral to the crisis team or CHMT.

I have BPD, not bipolar, but from what I know about bipolar, recovery isn't generally as simple as just taking medication. The media lies.

Thank you. I was referred to the crisis team and they where the ones that did the assessment. The lady said she couldn't give a diagnosis as she wasn't a psychiatrist. Just seems like mental health care system is disorganized/underfunded because they don't seem bothered about treating this treating this issue.
Reply 1
Original post by s844
Thank you. I was referred to the crisis team and they where the ones that did the assessment. The lady said she couldn't give a diagnosis as she wasn't a psychiatrist. Just seems like mental health care system is disorganized/underfunded because they don't seem bothered about treating this treating this issue.

There should be psychiatrists that assess you at some point when you're under the crisis team. However if you're not currently in crisis, then you should go to your GP.
Reply 2
Original post by Pathway
There should be psychiatrists that assess you at some point when you're under the crisis team. However if you're not currently in crisis, then you should go to your GP.

what should I say to my gp?
Reply 3
Original post by s844
what should I say to my gp?

What your symptoms are and how they're impacting your day to day life.
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
What your symptoms are and how they're impacting your day to day life.

I said that in the past. They don't seem bothered they just make you feel like you are wasting their time and rush you so they can finish their consultation.
Reply 5
Original post by s844
I said that in the past. They don't seem bothered they just make you feel like you are wasting their time and rush you so they can finish their consultation.

Try again, some surgeries have GPs with Special Interests in mental health. They might be a better port of call, alternatively, you could ask the receptionists to recommend a GP that is generally good with MH problems.

It sucks when you have a bad experience, but if you need support, then you have to try again.
Reply 6
I would never talk to a shrink about my mental health. There are jobs/roles that will be completely inaccessible for you if you have a shaky mental health record.

Talk to friends, family, etc. But avoid shrinks like the plague.
Reply 7
Original post by Fooook
I would never talk to a shrink about my mental health. There are jobs/roles that will be completely inaccessible for you if you have a shaky mental health record.

Talk to friends, family, etc. But avoid shrinks like the plague.

Thank you for the advice. I had a feeling this was the case.
Original post by s844
Thank you for the advice. I had a feeling this was the case.

Are you a medical student?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Are you a medical student?

medicine with a foundation year
Original post by s844
medicine with a foundation year

I would be quite cautious disclosing those symptoms to your personal tutor. Extreme mood swings are often equated with BPD and that label could make thing difficult for you. By all means seek help from your GP and get support that way (and if you get a diagnosis of some sort, then disclose it to occupational health), but you probably don't want your tutors labelling you as having BPD (I'm not saying you have it, but it can quite often be a knee jerk label to "extreme moods swings") as there is a lot of stigma associated with it and if that is what you have, it is probably best kept between you, the health professionals involved in your care and occ health.

Quick Reply

Latest