The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Politics and International Studies Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Hey there,
I know there is a general Cambridge PG Applicants thread for 2021, but I thought it would have been helpful to have a thread for applicants to POLIS specifically.

I thought we could give a timeline of our applications, and a bit of background as well as the outcome of the application in case one has heard back.

Scroll to see replies

hi, applied Jan 7th and currently 'under review by department' last I checked! I'm an international applicant and super excited to attend Cambridge if admitted. applied to Christ's College and Emmanuel College as well
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Hello, I've applied on 21 dec and I'm still at 'under review by department'. I graduated from Warwick obtaining a First Class BA in Politics and International Studies. Hopefully we'll hear back soon!
Reply 3
I applied on 25.12 and have been under departmental review since then. In terms of background, I study Politics with Philosophy at King’s College London and expect a mid-first overall. I think the degree committee is scheduled for today.
Reply 4
Submitted in late November and still under review here. Good luck to all!
Reply 5
Original post by Hd2510
Anybody seen a status change for Mphil Politics and International Relations?

Not yet. Mine is still under review. Although I applied on the 4th of Jan so I'm not expecting any communication anytime soon (except a rejection perhaps)
Reply 6
Original post by Lc1155
Hello. I’m an international applicant. I submitted my application on Jan 1st. Today my status changed to awaiting approval by GAO

Congratulations!!!
Reply 7
Original post by Lc1155
Hello. I’m an international applicant. I submitted my application on Jan 1st. Today my status changed to awaiting approval by GAO

Congratulations! Could you share some info about your background please?
Reply 8
I have been moved to the “awaiting approval by GAO” stage this afternoon, for the MPhil in Development Studies (which particularly focuses on my research interests within politics and political economy).

I am not sure what that means. Some say it means I have been basically accepted, others that it is a good sign, others not to read too much into it. I lean toward the latter, and hope to receive an official communication soon (still expecting a rejection to be honest).
Reply 9
I hope I will be safe with King’s College London then 😅
Reply 10
Yes yes
Anyone apply for the PhD?
Reply 12
Any mphil applicant has been under review for more than 8 weeks? The wait is killing me >.<
Original post by Politics1998
Anyone apply for the PhD?

Hi! I have applied for the PhD but have not heard back yet unfortunately. My portal still reads 'Under review by the Department.' Has anyone any news?
Original post by maritimer97
Hi! I have applied for the PhD but have not heard back yet unfortunately. My portal still reads 'Under review by the Department.' Has anyone any news?

No news yet! I think the department usually runs interviews and the website says they will all happen next week. But I haven’t heard anything...
Original post by Politics1998
No news yet! I think the department usually runs interviews and the website says they will all happen next week. But I haven’t heard anything...

Ah, thank you for letting me know. Very suspenseful! I am aware they have been sending out rejections over the past week for this programme, so let's hope that we will receive positive news in the next few days!
Original post by maritimer97
Ah, thank you for letting me know. Very suspenseful! I am aware they have been sending out rejections over the past week for this programme, so let's hope that we will receive positive news in the next few days!

Yes I saw some rejections on gradcafe...have you spoken with a supervisor? Applying to any other programs?
Glad I was directed to this thread!
I originally submitted my application for MPhil in Development Studies on 18th dec but my last reference was submitted on 7th January (thankfully before the funding deadline) and the status changed to "under review by dept" that very day. However, I have been stuck there ever since and had no change in status. It probably is still quite early but the wait is frustrating.
Congrats to everyone who has made it to GAO/received an offer!!
hi! so glad i found this thread,i applied on november 30th for mphil polis and i am still under departmental review; haven’t seen any at-home students get an offer yet so i wonder what their timeline is!good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by sunf1ower
hi! so glad i found this thread,i applied on november 30th for mphil polis and i am still under departmental review; haven’t seen any at-home students get an offer yet so i wonder what their timeline is!good luck everyone :smile:

Hey, I'm not sure if this is helpful--I was accepted to the MPhil POLIS program for the 2019 intake in mid February of that year (I believe it was the third week of Feb), and I believe that is the typical wait time for the program. I hope this doesn't leave you in suspense for too long--good luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending