The Student Room Group

Motivation tips (always tired and unmotivated)

I’m not sure if it’s because I’m in lockdown or what but I just feel so unmotivated and tired, I’m months behind on my college work and have no motivation to catch up which upsets me so much because I love the course I’m doing. I’ve bought some energy tablet things (can’t remember the name of them) but has anyone else got any tips? I do go a walk at lunch but I’m always in my pjs (I live in the countryside no one sees me ahah) it even sometimes takes me until dinner to brush my teeth. I don’t know what’s wrong with me !
Hey there!

I can totally relate to what you're going through right now, and I wanna let you know that it's totally normal. It doesn't mean your lazy or a bad person, it's completely normal to feel a bit melancholic and tired all the time when everything is in complete lockdown and things seem to be running at about half the speed they normally are.

Firstly, careful with energy tablets. They're not really gonna help you feel more motivated, and even if they make you less tired temporarily, they'll make up for it later but tiring you out as your brain recovers. Plus they'll slowly lose their effect. They're not exactly dangerous of course, but not a good idea to rely on them if you're tired all the time. If you're tired, make sure you're giving yourself the time to get at least 9 hours of sleep (or at least really try to), and if you still feel tired to the point where it affects you, or you can't sleep properly, then just talk to your doctor! People have sleep and tiredness problems all the time.

As for motivation, the best thing to do is to sit down and promise yourself you'll do some work. Get up, put some actual clothes on, and then really try to do an hour of work or so. If you find yourself getting distracted, just try and focus back. EVEN if you can only manage half an hour then that's okay, take a lil break and come back. Keep going outside (although not in ur PJ's silly) as that really helps to refresh you, as does eating properly. If you just try and slowly build up the amount of work you do every day, you'll begin to feel much more motivated and ready to work.

And hey, if you really feel like you can't work because you're too tired and unmotivated or maybe even depressed, please don't be afraid to talk to your doctor, or any other mental health professional or support. You don't have to have a severe mental health issue to talk to a doctor or counsellor, and even if you think your issue is relatively trivial, they might be able to help you if you think you can't do it on your own.

Hope that helps <3
Reply 2
Original post by theplatypus27
Hey there!

I can totally relate to what you're going through right now, and I wanna let you know that it's totally normal. It doesn't mean your lazy or a bad person, it's completely normal to feel a bit melancholic and tired all the time when everything is in complete lockdown and things seem to be running at about half the speed they normally are.

Firstly, careful with energy tablets. They're not really gonna help you feel more motivated, and even if they make you less tired temporarily, they'll make up for it later but tiring you out as your brain recovers. Plus they'll slowly lose their effect. They're not exactly dangerous of course, but not a good idea to rely on them if you're tired all the time. If you're tired, make sure you're giving yourself the time to get at least 9 hours of sleep (or at least really try to), and if you still feel tired to the point where it affects you, or you can't sleep properly, then just talk to your doctor! People have sleep and tiredness problems all the time.

As for motivation, the best thing to do is to sit down and promise yourself you'll do some work. Get up, put some actual clothes on, and then really try to do an hour of work or so. If you find yourself getting distracted, just try and focus back. EVEN if you can only manage half an hour then that's okay, take a lil break and come back. Keep going outside (although not in ur PJ's silly) as that really helps to refresh you, as does eating properly. If you just try and slowly build up the amount of work you do every day, you'll begin to feel much more motivated and ready to work.

And hey, if you really feel like you can't work because you're too tired and unmotivated or maybe even depressed, please don't be afraid to talk to your doctor, or any other mental health professional or support. You don't have to have a severe mental health issue to talk to a doctor or counsellor, and even if you think your issue is relatively trivial, they might be able to help you if you think you can't do it on your own.

Hope that helps <3

Firstly, I can’t thank you enough all that advice is so good and I appreciate it so so much!!! I’m not going to reply to it all as you very kindly gave me a lot haha but yeah to be honest I’ll probably try make an effort of getting ready in the morning because I feel like thag will start my day off right, even if I have to force myself to. Also I haven’t been eating great cause Christmas chocolates haha!! But I might try reduce the amount of that I eat a day. Also witj mental health part, I sometimes do feel I maybe suffer but I feel so guilty going to the doctors to ask about it when people are doing far worse than me and got a worse life than me:frown: xxx
sixth form is so competitve and toxic i remember seeing someone who did bad in their math assessed h/w who done a lot of stupid mistakes (not that he was struggling in the content on anything feel sad- i overheard some people saying I thought this guy was smart and its really toxic (they knew since the teacher said out loud the people who need to attend interventions
Original post by Lauododns
Firstly, I can’t thank you enough all that advice is so good and I appreciate it so so much!!! I’m not going to reply to it all as you very kindly gave me a lot haha but yeah to be honest I’ll probably try make an effort of getting ready in the morning because I feel like thag will start my day off right, even if I have to force myself to. Also I haven’t been eating great cause Christmas chocolates haha!! But I might try reduce the amount of that I eat a day. Also witj mental health part, I sometimes do feel I maybe suffer but I feel so guilty going to the doctors to ask about it when people are doing far worse than me and got a worse life than me:frown: xxx

(to what you said at the end) yeah, me too! Having to deal with seriously mentally ill friends all the time was what stopped me from seeing a counsellor for ages cause I felt like I was being weak or annoying. But that absolutely isn't true at all, if you think that might help, then you can do it. And besides, it's literally the doctor's job to help you, so I'd try not to worry about feeling guilty. Your health is as valid as everyone else's
Reply 5
Hello! You need to create your own routine. Self-discipline is freedom. If you are always tired, try changing your diet, check the quality of your sleep. Do you have hobbies? What do you spend your time on? It's important
Reply 6
Original post by theplatypus27
(to what you said at the end) yeah, me too! Having to deal with seriously mentally ill friends all the time was what stopped me from seeing a counsellor for ages cause I felt like I was being weak or annoying. But that absolutely isn't true at all, if you think that might help, then you can do it. And besides, it's literally the doctor's job to help you, so I'd try not to worry about feeling guilty. Your health is as valid as everyone else's

Aw thank you! Your probably right I’ll maybe give my doctors a phone call and arrange something!:smile: x
Reply 7
Original post by ambpick
Hello! You need to create your own routine. Self-discipline is freedom. If you are always tired, try changing your diet, check the quality of your sleep. Do you have hobbies? What do you spend your time on? It's important

My sleep isn’t bad, I mean I go to bed late and wake up late but I get way over the recommended amount of hours! I do like baking and going on walks. I have been going on walks but literally just in my pjs I can’t find the motivation to get changed or anything

Quick Reply

Latest