The Student Room Group

Worried I have diabetes??

Hey guys so I am currently waiting on blood test results as my gp is concerned I may have diabetes. As someone who regularly exercises and eats a balanced diet its terrifying me that I could have this ilness but now on googling I can see that actually type one diabetes can happen to anyone. My main symptoms have been feeing thirsty no matter how much I drink and urinating a lot more than usual. I have also experienced extreme tiredness on occasions and have had issues with my skin such as random itchiness. All of these symptoms have started in the past couple of months and don't seem to be going away. I guess my purpose of this post is to try and learn more about the different types of diabetes and to see how others have coped with the disease.Of course there may be something else wrong with me but I think preparing myself for a potential diagnosis would help me as I'm quite an anxious person.

Thank you for reading my post
Hi

I'm like you and worse I think as I worry myself sick, eating for results and often think the worse. Thankfully, everything turns out ok and I hope it does with you.

You done the right thing ie go to gp and blood tests as many do not bother for a long time.

your symptoms sound very much like diabetes but trust me when I say that often (well i do) people will think they have something
- read up on it and get all of the symptoms and more.

Being anxious/stressed does not help anyone health but not to be worried etc comes easier to some than others.

Please try not to worry, wait for the results and take it from there.

Btw, thought we are in a Covid status, many places get the blodds reuslts early next day all via internet - so call your gp and get tha appointment in as the waiting and thinking does not help

I wish you good health and the results are all good.

Do let us know if you wish.
Reply 2
Original post by Wolfbangenoff
Hi

I'm like you and worse I think as I worry myself sick, eating for results and often think the worse. Thankfully, everything turns out ok and I hope it does with you.

You done the right thing ie go to gp and blood tests as many do not bother for a long time.

your symptoms sound very much like diabetes but trust me when I say that often (well i do) people will think they have something
- read up on it and get all of the symptoms and more.

Being anxious/stressed does not help anyone health but not to be worried etc comes easier to some than others.

Please try not to worry, wait for the results and take it from there.

Btw, thought we are in a Covid status, many places get the blodds reuslts early next day all via internet - so call your gp and get tha appointment in as the waiting and thinking does not help

I wish you good health and the results are all good.

Do let us know if you wish.

Hey thanks for the response and yeh I agree my symptoms do seem to match up very well with diabetes so I'm glad I did research it more. Yeh I think my gp will get in touch tomorrow since I did the blood tests early this morning. I also had to give a stool sample as I've had issues with bowel movements too. I guess my main concern is just the fact that I've had so many odd symptoms over the past few months like the skin issues bowel movements tiredness frequent urination ect so now the realisation that there's actually something serious causing it all is quite upsetting as in an ideal world there would just be individual things causing each sympton. I did also keep having issues where I got UTIs and again having done some research that's another diabetes problem especially in women so I guess it all makes sense now. I also tested positive for covid back in mid December and I assumed that my issues with urination ect was just the covid and would just go away. Having now done some more reading I've found many things concerning how getting a virus can trigger the onset of type one diabetes so to think getting covid has potentially caused this is quite sad. I think I caught covid at work being a key worker but I worry maybe if I had stayed at home more I could've avoided it and not been in this situation with a potential diagnoses like this 😭
Thanks.
Having read your second post, you are doing the right thing.
As I was reading the second post I was thinking, have you had Covid and you have.
As I said, get the phone call in and if its a phone appt only with the gp like for us in London,
do not be afraid to ask, confirm what they said. You don't want to put the phone down and think did they say that or what.

As you know we have never met and never will, we may pass each other and never know - bottom line, I
feel for you and wish you good news as soon as possible.

As I said and don't feel bad if you can't, please feel free to post here and share what is very hopefully going
to the news from your gp, ie no further action required. Then you can take it from there
:smile: :smile:
Hey
How did it go?
I have type one diabetes and it sucks
Original post by Anonymous
I have type one diabetes and it sucks

If you're OP: I'm really sorry to hear that :frown: as someone who also has an autoimmune disorder I can understand the confusion and anger you might be feeling right now. You might be thinking "why me?" but at the end of the day our ailments make us better people. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? My disease most definitely did. It made me a better person, and I'm sure you'll do great too. At first getting used to the treatment will be difficult, but getting used to that will come with time. Best of luck, stay strong, and I'm always here if you need someone to talk to.
If you're not OP: if you've had Diabetes for a long time half of what I said you probably know already, but stay positive :smile:

So many anonymouses I'm confused 😂
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ilovephysmath
If you're OP: I'm really sorry to hear that :frown: as someone who also has an autoimmune disorder I can understand the confusion and anger you might be feeling right now. You might be thinking "why me?" but at the end of the day our ailments make us better people. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? My disease most definitely did. It made me a better person, and I'm sure you'll do great too. At first getting used to the treatment will be difficult, but getting used to that will come with time. Best of luck, stay strong, and I'm always here if you need someone to talk to.
If you're not OP: if you've had Diabetes for a long time half of what I said you probably know already, but stay positive :smile:

So many anonymouses I'm confused 😂

I’m not OP but having diabetes makes life suck. Pretty much anything can trigger blood sugar and all the stuff I have to do before I eat makes me feel not normal. I’ve had it for many years and it ruins my life :frown:
I’m not OP but having diabetes makes life suck. Pretty much anything can trigger blood sugar and all the stuff I have to do before I eat makes me feel not normal. I’ve had it for many years and it ruins my life :frown:

My disease makes me gain a **** ton of weight without eating. I could consume 1000 calories a day and still gain weight :rofl: my metabolism is absolutely horrible. I wish I didn't have to rely on medication to regulate something as basic as my freaking metabolism but it is what it is :smile: you need to put up a fight. Look diabetes in the eye and tell it who's the boss, okay? I know it's difficult but you'll get through it. You're a warrior, you can do it!! :smile:
My disease makes me gain a **** ton of weight without eating. I could consume 1000 calories a day and still gain weight :rofl: my metabolism is absolutely horrible. I wish I didn't have to rely on medication to regulate something as basic as my freaking metabolism but it is what it is :smile: you need to put up a fight. Look diabetes in the eye and tell it who's the boss, okay? I know it's difficult but you'll get through it. You're a warrior, you can do it!! :smile:

Damn!! Do you mind saying what disease it Is?

I hope they find a cure soon because I’m sick of it.
Damn!! Do you mind saying what disease it Is?

I hope they find a cure soon because I’m sick of it.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis :smile: I've lost a lot of weight now but still have a long way to go. The flare-ups are the worst though. I end up gaining weight on those and the depression is debilitating :frown:
But I think I might be getting used to it!
Hashimoto's thyroiditis :smile: I've lost a lot of weight now but still have a long way to go. The flare-ups are the worst though. I end up gaining weight on those and the depression is debilitating :frown:
But I think I might be getting used to it!

I have difficulty losing weight too idk why I thought it was a thyroid issue but test came back negative. And well done on you for losing the weight. :smile:

I hate having diabetes because my blood sugars are never perfect and never will be because I’m always depressed stressed or anxious
I have difficulty losing weight too idk why I thought it was a thyroid issue but test came back negative. And well done on you for losing the weight. :smile:

I hate having diabetes because my blood sugars are never perfect and never will be because I’m always depressed stressed or anxious

Does your stress stem from thinking about diabetes? Or is it something else? Not to push you but you can always come here and talk to us if you're upset or anxious :smile: if not then I'd suggest professional help?
Does your stress stem from thinking about diabetes? Or is it something else? Not to push you but you can always come here and talk to us if you're upset or anxious :smile: if not then I'd suggest professional help?

Something else. Thanks :biggrin:
I wouldn't jump to conclusions, wait and see what GP says. If you've not heard by now that's a good thing.

Quick Reply

Latest