The Student Room Group

Does it mean anything if a girl dyes her hair?

Just something I've wondered recently, I'm an older guy so don't really know the ins and outs of the young crowd these days. It's just that I've noticed some girls around their late teens & early twenties start of with natural colour hair then dye it, then never really seen to go back to natural hair colour, it's always bright blues, reds, or something along those lines, as in neon type of hair colouring rather than natural looking hair colouring. Is there any reason why they do this or just fashion?

Scroll to see replies

Because they want to 🤷🏼*♀️
Either for fashion or even just for self expression would be my guess!
Reply 3
Original post by GabiAbi84
Because they want to 🤷🏼*♀️

Normally there is a reason behind 'wanting to' whether if it's just for a change, try it out for curiosity, for the look, fashion, sub culture, etc etc. Because we 'want to' doesn't really explain anything.
Reply 4
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Form of expression or to have some fun.
Ive dyed mine neon a few times. I have short hair so theres nothing I can really do with it, its a way to change it up when it gets boring.

Ah, I see, yes I can see how it would fall into girls expressing that they want fun or fun to do it even.
Reply 5
Form of expression or to have some fun.
Ive dyed mine neon a few times. I have short hair so theres nothing I can really do with it, its a way to change it up when my natural hair color gets boring.
I am a straight male and I find Black hair colour and red or pink lips is the best
Sometimes.
Fashion, trying to change her look to find out what suits her best/projects the most positive impression, wants to fit in with a clique or sub-culture movement that favours a specific style of visual appearance.
It means they had a particular desire to change the colour of their hair
Original post by Gavin2016
Normally there is a reason behind 'wanting to' whether if it's just for a change, try it out for curiosity, for the look, fashion, sub culture, etc etc. Because we 'want to' doesn't really explain anything.

But that is quite often the reason none the less.

Why do guys grow beards, shave them off...
Why do we wear dresses/trousers etc...
It is what we want to do.
How old are you?
I really wanted to dye my hair pink for a while just because it’s my favourite colour lol it really can be as simple as that.
My hair has been all different colours and the reason was never more than I wanted to and I could so I did.
I guess to switch things up a bit perhaps? Try something new.
Hair colour as well as style could be used as a form of self-expression, as others have already said also 😊
Reply 14
Original post by GabiAbi84
But that is quite often the reason none the less.

Why do guys grow beards, shave them off...
Why do we wear dresses/trousers etc...
It is what we want to do.

I think the above that you state is either be side we prefer the look or are more comfortable that way. I think with hair it more as someone state for fun.
It looks great on many girls so that's why they do I suppose.
I think the above that you state is either be side we prefer the look or are more comfortable that way. I think with hair it more as someone state for fun.

I don’t really understand why you’re telling me why I would dye my hair when I already told you my reason when you asked.
I wanted to, so I did.
Reply 17
it's something girls like to experiment with just like fashion. it's rarely bright blues and reds tho; that's the minority that you just so happen to notice cuz it stands out. far more common to colour one's hair blonde or ombre; you just assumed it was natural.
Reply 18
Original post by SpockAndRand
It looks great on many girls so that's why they do I suppose.

Indeed, on some/many girls it can. I think only when their natural hair colour is real nice looking it's a shame otherwise it can be hot:colondollar:
Indeed, on some/many girls it can. I think only when their natural hair colour is real nice looking it's a shame otherwise it can be hot:colondollar:

I have found that the girls who dye their hair non-natural colours are often the most stylish because they take extra care of their looks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending