The Student Room Group

Are GCSE remarks worth it?

I'm asking this question because I'm currently 1 mark off a grade 8 in English Language under the WJEC exam board.
I need one mark on paper 2 English Language for my grade to go up would any of you say it's worth it?
Is there a chance of me going up that 1 mark/ grade above?
PS: I'm paying for the remark myself instead of my school! (Hence why I'm worried and asking)
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes go for it. Will your school pay for it?
Honestly yes go for it, my friend was in a similar position with 1 mark off and got a grade higher! I’m also with wjec :smile:
Yep!!! I had a lower chance and was a mark away from an 8 in physics.
They added in two marks in the end :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by wizkid44
Yes go for it. Will your school pay for it?

Thanks for the reply and no I'm paying for it myself!
Reply 5
Original post by Tsrtingz
Honestly yes go for it, my friend was in a similar position with 1 mark off and got a grade higher! I’m also with wjec :smile:

That's so good! Have you heard anything about WJEC with their marking? And did your friend go up the 1 mark or more?
Reply 6
Original post by Manip01
I'm asking this question because I'm currently 1 mark off a grade 8 in English Language under the WJEC exam board.
I need one mark on paper 2 English Language for my grade to go up would any of you say it's worth it?

do it. i was one mark off a nine for classical civilisations and got a remark and ended up with a nine. it's well worth a shot.
Original post by Manip01
Thanks for the reply and no I'm paying for it myself!

No problem! And Oof. I know they can be a bit expensive but if you can, defo do it!!
Reply 8
Yeah, I get what you mean! And weird school haha :smile: I'm 1 mark off the next boundary and around 15 off the grade boundary beneath me so doubt I will get downgraded by an add 15 marks.
Reply 9
Original post by Manip01
PS: I'm paying for the remark myself instead of my school! (Hence why I'm worried and asking)

In my experience, it was. I was 1 mark off a grade 7 for physics and after the remark, got it. Plus, you've got a better chance of moving up a grade because of how subjective english language gcse is.
Reply 10
Original post by wizkid44
No problem! And Oof. I know they can be a bit expensive but if you can, defo do it!!

Yeah, they are low-key expensive like £40.00 for one paper is just peng! I hope I get that one mark I need for the higher grade and for my own money back!
Reply 11
Original post by iFlops
In my experience, it was. I was 1 mark off a grade 7 for physics and after the remark, got it. Plus, you've got a better chance of moving up a grade because of how subjective english language gcse is.

That's good! And yeah true but I am skeptical/worried that I'm not gonna get the grade above because that remark is getting sent off from my own money!
Reply 12
Thank you so much! I pray or else my £40.00 is out the window :smile::smile:
Reply 13
Original post by etohin
do it. i was one mark off a nine for classical civilisations and got a remark and ended up with a nine. it's well worth a shot.

ooo well done! And I'm worried I won't get the 1 mark I need but thank you!
Reply 14
Aw, thank you! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Manip01
That's good! And yeah true but I am skeptical/worried that I'm not gonna get the grade above because that remark is getting sent off from my own money!

Yeah, fair enough. I needed the grade 7 for physics a level, but a grade 7 to 8 might not be worth it if you have to pay - just consider how much it would affect your uni applications/a levels.
Reply 16
Original post by iFlops
Yeah, fair enough. I needed the grade 7 for physics a level, but a grade 7 to 8 might not be worth it if you have to pay - just consider how much it would affect your uni applications/a levels.

okay yeah, I get you!
Really? They're not allowed to request a review of marking without the candidate's written permission.
Malpractice on the centre's part then
Surely you can report the school right? Or am I wrong compost?

Quick Reply

Latest