The Student Room Group

Biden becomes 46th president

Scroll to see replies

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-preventing-and-combating-discrimination-on-basis-of-gender-identity-or-sexual-orientation/

On his first day in office Biden has urinated all over women's rights and child safeguarding. Not a great start Mr President, not at all.

Who knows, maybe Biden will become the first female president of the United States.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by WithYouAliens
Economy: Biden won't be able to push through his $2 trillion budget without moving hell and earth, but he might be able to push through around half of that budget using legal loopholes. He will be presiding over one year of the pandemic at least and the recovery will take another two to three years, so most of the presidency will be hard for him.

International relations: I am not quite sure that being friendly with China is a good thing in terms of electoral support and geopolitics, but it needs to be said that China will be a unmissable power post-pandemic. India and much of Asia probably benefited from the more aggressive politics of Trump, so it will need to be seen whether Biden has what it takes to follow in Trump's footsteps. Biden has a few positive points in that he believes in an interventionist US, so we will most likely see more military action against rogue governments in the Middle East for example. It will be interesting if Biden can overlook his core left-wing voter base to improve relations with the Indian community.

Immigration: I think this is actually his achilleic heel. He won't be able to open up the borders and support immigration without endangering citizens, a sort of an own goal. He will also preside over one of the worst economies in US history, so immigrants will not have any jobs and there will be more caravans/refugees from Latin America soon as well. The Arab Spring (which was what set off the Migration Crisis) was economic at its core and this current pandemic is going to cause one of the biggest economic crises the world has seen, so expect much more turmoil and migration from the Middle East.

Interesting view.

Economy: I think the Dems are positive about pushing through monetary response because they can use the simple majority approach which will see Vice President Harris as the deciding vote - that is in the case where all Dems vote with their side of the Senate.

International Relations: Analysts predict that Biden might take a more sombre tone towards China but American policy will remain the same. Although Trump took a much more aggressive approach, some people probably don't know that Trump’s China policy was an extension of Obama who had Biden as his VP. The tilt towards the East which was publicly supported by Obama, but stopped by Trump, may well be continued by Biden. Trump took the US out of several trade and cooperation agreements.

Immigration: Biden has already stopped the border wall construction, returned the DACA protections and extended support for migrants. So he is moving back to pre-Trump era of migration policy.

There are some views that Biden will be Obama 2.0 but I think this is unfair and he should be given some time.
Original post by glassalice
China will is a one party state, they only have token elections. Nothing much to report on, same old, same old.

To be honest I’m really not a fan of Biden, at all. On his first day he’ll reverse a Trump policy that meant that those in college who identify as either man/woman can use those toilets/locker rooms.

This means that undeclared a man could go into a female locker room or bathroom and can’t be questioned and could simply say he’s female
Great to see Bernie Sanders chairing the Senate Budget committee and laying out a bold vision!
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/01/20/people-are-demanding-action-incoming-senate-budget-chair-bernie-sanders-lays-out
Original post by jackmarshal757
This means that undeclared a man could go into a female locker room or bathroom and can’t be questioned and could simply say he’s female

I've listened to feminists over the last few years saying this the sort of thing is proof that women's rights are trampled over whenever men are involved and considered it hyperbole.
Looks like I owe them an apology.
Original post by caravaggio2
I've listened to feminists over the last few years saying this the sort of thing is proof that women's rights are trampled over whenever men are involved and considered it hyperbole.
Looks like I owe them an apology.

Trying to integrate trans people will only harm women, because of the biological differences that exist between men and women that liberal purposely forget. Anyways this isn’t the place for that.

I think Biden’s policy on joining the Paris climate change is good, but it means nothing unless it is actually put into legal practice within US law
Trying to integrate trans people will only harm women, because of the biological differences that exist between men and women that liberal purposely forget. Anyways this isn’t the place for that.

I think Biden’s policy on joining the Paris climate change is good, but it means nothing unless it is actually put into legal practice within US law

Trans women actually don’t have biological differences to women after they’ve had their surgery. What isn’t right is how radical feminists declare that trans women hurt women rights but forget their own ideology has already hurt naturally born women who are inter sex e.g Caster Semenya , a South African Olympic sprinter had her Olympic Medals taken a way because the committee considered her as a man because she was born as a intersex woman.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TheStarboy
Trans women actually don’t have biological differences to women after they’ve had their surgery. What isn’t right is how radical feminists declare that trans women hurt women rights but forget their own ideology has already hurt naturally born women who are inter sex e.g Caster Semenya , a South African Olympic sprinter had her Olympic Medals taken a way because the committee considered her as a man because she was born as a intersex woman.

Firstly rad fem and GC are completely different, even though some of there beliefs may intersect.
It isn't just the penis which is of concern to GC feminists. We aren't all about the genitalia.

Besides not all genetic men have penises anyway.

Regardless of a penis or lack of, trans women have biological advantages in terms of stature and bone density.

Intersex disorders are not the same as gender identity disorders (or what ever your would prefer to call it).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 50
White Americans might want to consider claiming asylum. Even Iraq would be viable at this point.

Trans women have many biological differences to actual women, there’s no disputing that
Firstly rad fem and GC are completely different, even though some of there beliefs may intersect.
It isn't just the penis which is of concern to GC feminists. We aren't all about the genitalia.

Besides not all genetic men have penises anyway.

Regardless of a penis or lack of, trans women have biological advantages in terms of stature and bone density.

Intersex disorders are not the same as gender identity disorders (or what ever your would prefer to call it).

That’s true. Radical feminism is more of a broad term. GC is what I meant. Women have their concerns which is fine. It’s the loud minority that are slowly gaining momentum. They’re demanding trans people cease to exist and putting them at risk.

Trans women having biological advantages doesn’t invalidate their cause. My issue is gender critical as a whole is that it effectively wants trans people (especially trans women) to be outcasts in society.

They aren’t the same but due to certain similarities, they end up overlapping quite a lot. It doesn’t help that intersex women who are naturally born woman are affected by this discourse and mostly negatively
That’s true. Radical feminism is more of a broad term. GC is what I meant. Women have their concerns which is fine. It’s the loud minority that are slowly gaining momentum. They’re demanding trans people cease to exist and putting them at risk.

Trans women having biological advantages doesn’t invalidate their cause. My issue is gender critical as a whole is that it effectively wants trans people (especially trans women) to be outcasts in society.

They aren’t the same but due to certain similarities, they end up overlapping quite a lot. It doesn’t help that intersex women who are naturally born woman are affected by this discourse and mostly negatively

You do get some women who feel that transwomen are basically a trojan horse's out to rape them and redefine womanhood. I don't think for moment that this is generally the case, most GCs don't think that this is generally the case.
I think there needs to be a nuanced dialogue between parties that have an interest in women's rights and trans rights. It would be dishonest to suggest that there is no conflict between them.

For example male bodied police officers, who identify as women can search women who are detained in custody. Obviously these women have haven't elected to be searched.
Whilest I do not think that transgender police officers should loose their jobs, I believe that the rights of the woman who needs to be searched trump the right of the transgender police officer to have her gender identity validated. I would take a similar view in regards to personal care of vulnerable women in hospital and care homes.

I actually take the view that the waiting times in order to see GIDS are barbaric. However the current affirmation model is ideologically driven and not evidenced based. I don't know if you have seen the daming reports that recently regarding the service.

The aim of the service, which used to be a psychotheraputic service, should be to help the child feel more at ease with his or herself. For some young people transition is the probably the right choice for them, however around 90% of children naturally desist. The watchful waiting model is absolutely not akin to conversion therapy as some ideologically minded people might suggest.

I am sorry that intersex women are being negatively effected by some elements of this discourse.
(edited 3 years ago)
You do get some women who feel that transwomen are basically a trojan horse's out to rape them and redefine womanhood. I don't think for moment that this is generally the case, most GCs don't think that this is generally the case.
I think there needs to be a nuanced dialogue between parties that have an interest in women's rights and trans rights. It would be dishonest to suggest that there is no conflict between them.

For example male bodied police officers, who identify as women can search women who are detained in custody. Obviously these women have haven't elected to be searched.
Whilest I do not think that transgender police officers should loose their jobs, I believe that the rights of the woman who needs to be searched trump the right of the transgender police officer to have her gender identity validated. I would take a similar view in regards to personal care of vulnerable women in hospital and care homes.

I actually take the view that the waiting times in order to see GIDS are barbaric. However the current affirmation model is ideologically driven and not evidenced based. I don't know if you have seen the daming reports that recently regarding the service.

The aim of the service, which used to be a psychotheraputic service, should be to help the child feel more at ease with his or herself. For some young people transition is the probably the right choice for them, however around 90% of children naturally desist. The watchful waiting model is absolutely not akin to conversion therapy as some ideologically minded people might suggest.

I am sorry that intersex women are being negatively effected by some elements of this discourse.

What is the difference between that belief and the belief that black men are uncontrollable predators? They are harmful stereotypes that represent a minority of the group yet enforced a large majority?
A discussion is needed but i wonder how you can resolve a complicated situation such as this.

What if the trans police officer passes as a woman? Now it becomes an awkward situation. Should their rights be respected if they are risk of being endangered due to who they were born as?

Recently, the GIDs was rated inadequate for being littered with failures and long waiting times. An improvement is needed but it's a little more complicated than being ideologically driven
What is the difference between that belief and the belief that black men are uncontrollable predators? They are harmful stereotypes that represent a minority of the group yet enforced a large majority?
A discussion is needed but i wonder how you can resolve a complicated situation such as this.

What if the trans police officer passes as a woman? Now it becomes an awkward situation. Should their rights be respected if they are risk of being endangered due to who they were born as?

Recently, the GIDs was rated inadequate for being littered with failures and long waiting times. An improvement is needed but it's a little more complicated than being ideologically driven

There have been cases whereby convicted rapest in prison have transitioned to a female gender identity. I think there is quite a clear justification for their motives to be viewed with suspicion.
However I do not believe that the vast majority of transwomen have transitioned in order to facilitate gaining access to women.

The police officer shouldn't have to disclose any personal details to the person they have in custody. They simply should not be permitted to carry out the search. Obviously their senior colleagues would have to be aware that they where transgender because and only because that information is of relevance to their job.

If they where working in a supermarket, then quite frankly it is none of that supermarkets business.

There are areas where sex can be disregard without impacting on the fair treatment and safeguard of women and girls, however I don't believe that it can be disregarded in every set of circumstances.

Passing is subjective, no?
(edited 3 years ago)
There have been cases whereby convicted rapest in prison have transitioned to a female gender identity. I think there is quite a clear justification for their motives to be viewed with suspicion.
However I do not believe that the vast majority of transwomen have transitioned in order to facilitate gaining access to women.

The police officer shouldn't have to disclose any personal details to the person they have in custody. They simply should not be permitted to carry out the search. Obviously their senior colleagues would have to be aware that they where transgender because and only because that information is of relevance to their job.

If they where working in a supermarket, then quite frankly it is none of that supermarkets business.

There are areas where sex can be disregard without impacting on the fair treatment and safeguard of women and girls, however I don't believe that it can be disregarded in every set of circumstances.

Passing is subjective, no?

A minority of cases such are those shouldn't brand the majority. I doubt many transwoman are convicted rapists. Where does that put a Trans police officer? Should a trans male police officer only detain women if though they look and sound male? And what happens on the other end? Should a trans woman get a female officer if they have a legitimate cause of concern?

This also applies to Transwoman as well. Rising cases of trans women murder is enough to discuss whether they need fair treatment and right to a safe space too. This also applies to Transwoman as well. Rising cases of trans women murder is enough to discuss whether they need fair treatment and right to a safe space too.
A minority of cases such are those shouldn't brand the majority. I doubt many transwoman are convicted rapists. Where does that put a Trans police officer? Should a trans male police officer only detain women if though they look and sound male? And what happens on the other end? Should a trans woman get a female officer if they have a legitimate cause of concern?

This also applies to Transwoman as well. Rising cases of trans women murder is enough to discuss whether they need fair treatment and right to a safe space too. This also applies to Transwoman as well. Rising cases of trans women murder is enough to discuss whether they need fair treatment and right to a safe space too.

So you create a space for trans men and women to mix but don’t allow them to go into other bathrooms

5238BA97-4B99-4364-8400-0F909BD24C7C.jpg.jpeg
So you create a space for trans men and women to mix but don’t allow them to go into other bathrooms

5238BA97-4B99-4364-8400-0F909BD24C7C.jpg.jpeg

Me? I’m neither Biden nor a fan of him so this isn’t something I want lol. Trans people should have their own spaces but it’s a lot more complicated than giving them everything.
(edited 3 years ago)
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-preventing-and-combating-discrimination-on-basis-of-gender-identity-or-sexual-orientation/

On his first day in office Biden has urinated all over women's rights and child safeguarding. Not a great start Mr President, not at all.

Who knows, maybe Biden will become the first female president of the United States.

Well, you have all been well and truly triggered.

Read the Order.

What he has actually done is direct people who push paper for a living to come up with some proposals within 100 days.

Quick Reply

Latest