The Student Room Group
We catching feelings innit
Reply 2
Original post by EconomicsStud3nt
We catching feelings innit

I am not sure I understand. Who's catching feelings?
I actually have no idea. I'd assume it's because women generally care about their looks more when being compared to men so giving them validation is more important therefore more common. I also think that men's primary societal value isn't as based on their looks, so people don't think to compliment them as much as they would a woman. Of course, I don't know much about this specific subject so I could be completely wrong. :colondollar:
Reply 4
You have to be careful not to give the wrong impression, guys are far too desperate these days and will latch onto the smallest compliment.
Reply 5
Original post by jellybellyb
I actually have no idea. I'd assume it's because women generally care about their looks more when being compared to men so giving them validation is more important therefore more common. I also think that men's primary societal value isn't as based on their looks, so people don't think to compliment them as much as they would a woman. Of course, I don't know much about this specific subject so I could be completely wrong. :colondollar:

Up until very recently, I didn't think women were that much into men tbh. Only after sitting with my sister and her friends and they were talking about guys did I realise that girls really do like guys lol. It may sound weird but honestly I thought girls weren't into guys as much as guys are into girls... still think so to some extent tbh.
Reply 6
Original post by Max1989
You have to be careful not to give the wrong impression, guys are far too desperate these days and will latch onto the smallest compliment.

It's like a vicious circle though isn't it? guys don't receive compliments so they become desperate for them => a girl compliments them once in a while => they get the wrong impression cuz they never get compliments and don't know how to handle them => girl stops complimenting guys to avoid giving the wrong impression.
Original post by Anonymous
Up until very recently, I didn't think women were that much into men tbh. Only after sitting with my sister and her friends and they were talking about guys did I realise that girls really do like guys lol. It may sound weird but honestly I thought girls weren't into guys as much as guys are into girls... still think so to some extent tbh.

Well, you have to think about how guys are expected to make the first move, pay, etc. in society to be seen as "the man" of some sort. Not that I support it, but we can all agree it's just how it is. Anyway, with this mindset, it would only make sense for men to be the one to compliment women and such. :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
It's like a vicious circle though isn't it? guys don't receive compliments so they become desperate for them => a girl compliments them once in a while => they get the wrong impression cuz they never get compliments and don't know how to handle them => girl stops complimenting guys to avoid giving the wrong impression.

Indeed, it's just how it is though, but you can get out of the cycle by not needing the validation of others and being happy with how you look no matter what other think. And this will also show confidence in yourself which is an attractive trait, or at least a more healthy one.

Or get some female friends that you've both mutually agreed to no romance, they'll give you honest opinions on your looks.
Reply 9
Original post by Max1989
Indeed, it's just how it is though, but you can get out of the cycle by not needing the validation of others and being happy with how you look no matter what other think. And this will also show confidence in yourself which is an attractive trait, or at least a more healthy one.

Or get some female friends that you've both mutually agreed to no romance, they'll give you honest opinions on your looks.

I don't personally have female friends, my sister does but they're too polite to be honest with me as I'm the brother of a friend.

By default, I feel like a creep talking to any girl I might like because in my mind I'm thinking ''she probably didn't even know you existed, leave her alone''. That was my thinking. But then I heard girls talking to each other about how they like some guy who has never spoken to them and how they wish he approached them and I was thinking why don't they approach him? how's he supposed to know? we're not all super confident casanovas, a lot of us don't wanna creep girls out or make them think we're desperate...
I'd only ever found it appropriate to compliment a crush or someone I'm with.

From experience complimenting someone that I had no romantic interest in, they'd seemed to get the wrong impression.
My ex continues to say that I never complimented him on his appearance during the 3yrs we were together. It has made me think that I know I did at some point but I can't remember when or where. I never really thought men needed to be complimented on but they do.

Latest

Trending

Trending