The Student Room Group

A-level advise!

Hiya I’m new here!
I’m currently doing GCSE’s (yr11) and need to start choosing my A-levels and would love any advise!
My possible subjects to choose from are,
Geography, sociology and business studies (a-level)
Or
business BTEC + one other subject
Or
business BTEC + two subjects (equivalent to 4 Alevels, I have heard that’s too much work)

I currently get 7/8/9s in all of these at GCSE
I thought about biology but got told it’s extremely hard and you shouldn’t do just one science?
I hope that makes sense!
Any help would be amazing, thank you :smile:
what career are you interested in?
guys im stuck to i acc don't know what career to pursue in the future lol i dont have no clue at all i have no interest in any subject in school but may have a career in applied science or in business studies because i am torn between them both pls someone help i am struggling what to pick for alevels lol ? what careers are there in law and business studies and applied science?
someone plss help thanks it would be appreciated x
Original post by dianna3007
what career are you interested in?

I’m still not sure hence why I am thinking of choosing subjects I enjoy! But possibly a career around animals/ecology ect. (I know biology/science is required but if biology is extremely hard at Alevel I would rather get good grades in other things than choose it and get a low grade if that makes sense!)
Original post by Anonymous2810
Hiya I’m new here!
I’m currently doing GCSE’s (yr11) and need to start choosing my A-levels and would love any advise!
My possible subjects to choose from are,
Geography, sociology and business studies (a-level)
Or
business BTEC + one other subject
Or
business BTEC + two subjects (equivalent to 4 Alevels, I have heard that’s too much work)

I currently get 7/8/9s in all of these at GCSE
I thought about biology but got told it’s extremely hard and you shouldn’t do just one science?
I hope that makes sense!
Any help would be amazing, thank you :smile:

Hey!

I am currently a year 13 student, going to uni soon.
The subjects I choose were:
Psychology, Portuguese, English Lit and Philosophy.

I regret choosing some of my subjects (so make sure you actually like it and won't be disappointed when it comes to the end of your sixth form).

I would advise the option where you do a BTEC and A-levels together because it can be a lot helpful for uni.

What A-levels would you choose if you do a BTEC?

Make sure you know or have an idea of what career you want to go into and if those subjects will help out when it comes to choosing a degree.

I hope I helped somehow.
I’m still not sure hence why I am thinking of choosing subjects I enjoy! But possibly a career around animals/ecology ect. (I know biology/science is required but if biology is extremely hard at Alevel I would rather get good grades in other things than choose it and get a low grade if that makes sense!)

I don't really know much about those subjects so I'm probably not the most useful- I find biology enjoyable in yr11 but I've also heard it's hard at A-Levels. However, I guess that if you want to go to uni to do something animals/ecology based there may be some a levels that you have to do in order to study that course.

If you enjoy Biology, then it might be helpful.

It is an extremely hard subject, but from what I know, if you put the effort, you get good grades, most of my friends who do Biology, are getting Bs and As, and they aren't the smartest people ever, they are average.

Maybe you could do an applied sciences BTEC, which isn't as hard. (but idk, you should go for what you like really)

Also, it can be helpful if you go to uni websites and see what kind of subjects they ask for the areas you are thinking about going into.
Thank you!
I’ll have a look at uni websites.
Do you have any advise on what’s better ~ taking a BTEC & 1 subject or 3 Alevels
(there is the option of BTEC & 2 subjects but that’s 4 a-levels and have heard that very hard!)
Thank you!
I’ll have a look at uni websites.
Do you have any advise on what’s better ~ taking a BTEC & 1 subject or 3 Alevels
(there is the option of BTEC & 2 subjects but that’s 4 a-levels and have heard that very hard!)

I would recommend taking a BTEC and 1 subject, mainly because when it comes to uni application, you have both to help you out.

I know a lot of people who do one BTEC and other two subjects (even 3) and they are okay, but it requires a lot of work and effort (and mental sanity, which you won't have during your A-levels).

I don't do any BTECs, but I do 4 subjects and one EPQ, it was easier for me since Portuguese is my first language.

Definitely, BTEC and 1 A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest