The Student Room Group

Does ethnic diversity matter at uni?

To anyone , does it matter to you ?
I’m considering going to a lower ranked uni as opposed to another higher ranked uni which is also a RG because it is more ethnically diverse. Is this stupid ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tashax2
I’m considering going to a lower ranked uni as opposed to another higher ranked uni which is also a RG because it is more ethnically diverse. Is this stupid ?

If the ranking is much lower, then maybe it's worth going through the better ranked but less ethnically diverse uni, assuming it's not the most important thing to you. It's only 3 years after all, and you'll probably still make good friends with people as long as they're not racist.
Reply 2
Original post by Tashax2

which RG uni is it?
Original post by Tashax2

What are the two uni's you're thinking about and what subject do you plan to do?
Reply 4
no I don't care , would prefer people who have same interests as myself but race don't matter
If you think being in a less diverse university is going to have an effect on your mental health and ultimately your performance on your course, then maybe. But then at the same time you should be firstly considering which university offers you the best opportunities and resources for the degree you want to study and subsequently career and postgraduate study opportunities if you wish to go into academia. Of course the social aspect is important if you are going to spend at least three years there and indeed how good or bad that experience is can impact on your studies and what you ultimately get out of your time there.

FTR a Russell Group university doesn't mean that it's instant leagues better than a non-RG university and the designation only refers to the research activities/output of said institution and not necessarily the quality of the teaching on that particular degree etc. So in other words the fact it's a Russell Group university alone wouldn't really impact on your studies.
Reply 6
It does matter to me, but im planning on joining soceities like ACS where i will meet more black people. Do not sacrifice going to a higher ranked uni because of a fear that probably wont matter much when you get there :smile:
Original post by Tashax2

imo no - no universities are devoid of diversity, I get that some are much more diverse, but that is not worth tossing away the opportunities that may come from a higher ranked uni for your chosen end goal
Reply 8
No, it doesn't matter at all and, in my opinion, yes that is a stupid thing to do.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by LvlAndFarm
If the ranking is much lower, then maybe it's worth going through the better ranked but less ethnically diverse uni, assuming it's not the most important thing to you. It's only 3 years after all, and you'll probably still make good friends with people as long as they're not racist.

There’s about a 25 place difference in the ranking
Reply 10
Original post by LvlAndFarm

Yeah you make a good point and there is ACS, there’s about a 20 place difference in the ranking
Original post by Tashax2

Yes. You pick unis based on its success rate, funding, affordability and distance. Ethnicity is important but wayyyyy down on the list. It's also shocking that an ethnically diverse uni is synonymous with low ranking.
Reply 12
Original post by King_George_Weah
If you think being in a less diverse university is going to have an effect on your mental health and ultimately your performance on your course, then maybe. But then at the same time you should be firstly considering which university offers you the best opportunities and resources for the degree you want to study and subsequently career and postgraduate study opportunities if you wish to go into academia. Of course the social aspect is important if you are going to spend at least three years there and indeed how good or bad that experience is can impact on your studies and what you ultimately get out of your time there.

FTR a Russell Group university doesn't mean that it's instant leagues better than a non-RG university and the designation only refers to the research activities/output of said institution and not necessarily the quality of the teaching on that particular degree etc. So in other words the fact it's a Russell Group university alone wouldn't really impact on your studies.

Yeah the RG one has direct links with the employers id like to work at tbh but I know the lower ranked uni does have links but not as good I think , what would you do if you were me ?
Reply 13
Original post by xosozz
It does matter to me, but im planning on joining soceities like ACS where i will meet more black people. Do not sacrifice going to a higher ranked uni because of a fear that probably wont matter much when you get there :smile:

Yes I plan on joining acs wherever I go , so you would go to the higher ranked uni ? Tbh it is very good for my course
The unis will most likely have diversity, some more than others like Birmingham and Leicester and that. I get what you're saying though, I'm more concerned of being in halls with people who are weird as.
Reply 15
Original post by s786!
which RG uni is it?

York uni and the lower ranked is Nottingham Trent
Reply 16
Original post by Keir Starmer
What are the two uni's you're thinking about and what subject do you plan to do?

Business and the RG is York and the other is Nottingham Trent
Busin
Reply 17
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
imo no - no universities are devoid of diversity, I get that some are much more diverse, but that is not worth tossing away the opportunities that may come from a higher ranked uni for your chosen end goal

I think you’re right I’m just scared of feeling like the odd one out
Reply 18
yesss go to the higher one :smile: York doesnt lack diveristy that much and NTU isnt very good so dont go lol
Reply 19
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Yes. You pick unis based on its success rate, funding, affordability and distance. Ethnicity is important but wayyyyy down on the list. It's also shocking that an ethnically diverse uni is synonymous with low ranking.

I think so too I think I’m just scared !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending