The Student Room Group

University grades

I'm in third year of a health course. I've received some of my grades from last semester but I'm really not happy with them. In fact they're poor... But I passed. I was told that third year marks will be looked at when applying for jobs. Does this mean I'll have less of a chance of getting a great top job?
Original post by Peace24
I'm in third year of a health course. I've received some of my grades from last semester but I'm really not happy with them. In fact they're poor... But I passed. I was told that third year marks will be looked at when applying for jobs. Does this mean I'll have less of a chance of getting a great top job?

Ive got jobs offers & internship offers in finance/IP/engineering. Never really came up in any of my interviews, other than a 10 second passing comment at the start (only exception was PhD).

Honestly for the most part I think they want to see a 2.1 and some might be more impressed with a 1st but in general most employers arent that picky (with uni grades) as long as you do alright overall.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Ive got jobs offers & internship offers in finance/IP/engineering. Never really came up in any of my interviews, other than a 10 second passing comment at the start (only exception was PhD).

Honestly for the most part I think they want to see a 2.1 and some might be more impressed with a 1st but in general most employers arent that picky (with uni grades) as long as you do alright overall.

Sorry what do you mean by 2.1 or 1st?
Original post by Peace24
Sorry what do you mean by 2.1 or 1st?

Sorry my advice was based for uk university graduates. These are types of degree classification in the UK.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Sorry my advice was based for uk university graduates. These are types of degree classification in the UK.

Yeah I'm an international student studying in the UK, but haven't heard of the degree classification... Is this important when it comes to grading? And does this include all degrees?
Original post by Peace24
Yeah I'm an international student studying in the UK, but haven't heard of the degree classification... Is this important when it comes to grading? And does this include all degrees?

Yes, pretty much all UK degrees.
Normally 60%+ is a 2.1 & 70%+ is a 1st.

This is generally seen as the benchmark for employers. I must say im surprised you’ve made it to 3rd year without becoming familiar with this system.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
Yes, pretty much all UK degrees.
Normally 60%+ is a 2.1 & 70%+ is a 1st.

This is generally seen as the benchmark for employers. I must say im surprised you’ve made it to 3rd year without becoming familiar with this system.

Tbh I haven't heard of it or heard anyone speak of it. So is this used for every exam individually or for the overall grade? And so if you've gotten less than 2.1 (example 3rd), are you saying it doesn't really matter or that it does?
Original post by Peace24
Tbh I haven't heard of it or heard anyone speak of it. So is this used for every exam individually or for the overall grade? And so if you've gotten less than 2.1 (example 3rd), are you saying it doesn't really matter or that it does?

You get it at the end of the degrees but people often refer to an assignment by the term 2.1 etc. (People say oh i got a 2.1 on zzzz exam).

It goes
1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd.

You should familiarise yourself with these and lookup your university system. It doesn’t matter too much as long as you get a 2.1 or higher. Not getting a 2.1 presents a bigger issue.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
You get it at the end of the degrees but people often refer to an assignment by the term 2.1 etc. (People say oh i got a 2.1 on zzzz exam).

It goes
1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd.

You should familiarise yourself with these and lookup your university system. It doesn’t matter too much as long as you get a 2.1 or higher. Not getting a 2.1 presents a bigger issue.

So to get a 2.1 you have to consistently get A’s and B’s throughout the course?

Thank you so much for this though. It's weird as my friends who are from the UK don't know about it either😬 but I appreciate that you've enlightened me. I have looked on my university website on this. It is a bit confusing to understand as it talks about the credits but I will get clarity on this
Original post by Peace24
So to get a 2.1 you have to consistently get A’s and B’s throughout the course?

Thank you so much for this though. It's weird as my friends who are from the UK don't know about it either😬 but I appreciate that you've enlightened me. I have looked on my university website on this. It is a bit confusing to understand as it talks about the credits but I will get clarity on this

You need to lookup your universities criteria, traditionally its over 60%. Most UK unis don’t use letter grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending