The Student Room Group

Swelling behind tooth - HELP!

In early Jan, I noticed an ulcer type spot on the area above my molar tooth (back right at the top mouth). I applied bonjela and and did sting a lot and had pain there too. Afterwards it got painless and I now it’s swollen behind the wisdom tooth area and can feel bumps. It’s painless and I feel the ulcer type spot has worsened. I booked a dentist appointment but was wondering if anyone else experienced this? Could it be some form of abscess?

My tonsil area on the back left of the mouth also swelled up pretty bad last week and felt like a lump in my throat, though I could eat and drink perfectly. I could see yellow patches behind the tonsil area. Had an earache though and felt breathing was restricted as well as acid refluxes. GP gave penicillin and it sure has helped but I feel like I can’t breath at times and intense pressure goes to my head. What could this be?

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 1
No one is going to be able to diagnose you over a forum im afraid (plus users arent allowed to really either). Didn't your GP give you any more info when he gave you the script and looked you over..?

To your first bit though, i doubt its an absess without any pain, those things tend to hurt like an absolute ***** when theyre in that area. Might simply be, as you noted, an ulcer thats been further damaged/inflamed? Either way, it would be better to let your doctor/dentist examine it than soliciting advice on the internet as it will likely be wrong :lol: Dr google being equally unhelpful.
Original post by Anonymous
In early Jan, I noticed an ulcer type spot on the area above my molar tooth (back right at the top mouth). I applied bonjela and and did sting a lot and had pain there too. Afterwards it got painless and I now it’s swollen behind the wisdom tooth area and can feel bumps. It’s painless and I feel the ulcer type spot has worsened. I booked a dentist appointment but was wondering if anyone else experienced this? Could it be some form of abscess?

My tonsil area on the back left of the mouth also swelled up pretty bad last week and felt like a lump in my throat, though I could eat and drink perfectly. I could see yellow patches behind the tonsil area. Had an earache though and felt breathing was restricted as well as acid refluxes. GP gave penicillin and it sure has helped but I feel like I can’t breath at times and intense pressure goes to my head. What could this be?

Thanks guys :smile:

Hi there!

I highly recommend going back to your GP and disclosing all of your symptoms as we can't really diagnose you on here!
Personally, my guess would be an infection or tonsillitis but I could be very wrong so please get properly examined by a GP! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
No one is going to be able to diagnose you over a forum im afraid (plus users arent allowed to really either). Didn't your GP give you any more info when he gave you the script and looked you over..?

To your first bit though, i doubt its an absess without any pain, those things tend to hurt like an absolute ***** when theyre in that area. Might simply be, as you noted, an ulcer thats been further damaged/inflamed? Either way, it would be better to let your doctor/dentist examine it than soliciting advice on the internet as it will likely be wrong :lol: Dr google being equally unhelpful.

Haha yes you’re right! I just posted to see if anyone else experienced this. Unfortunately due to COVID, my GP said they can’t check anyone’s throat so I had to tell them by word what I was experiencing. Apparently I have tonsil stones but I don’t think it’s that. It does feel better but still swelling behind and just feels uncomfortable.
Reply 4
Original post by Napp

Original post by mimmi0070
Hi there!

I highly recommend going back to your GP and disclosing all of your symptoms as we can't really diagnose you on here!
Personally, my guess would be an infection or tonsillitis but I could be very wrong so please get properly examined by a GP! :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Haha yes you’re right! I just posted to see if anyone else experienced this. Unfortunately due to COVID, my GP said they can’t check anyone’s throat so I had to tell them by word what I was experiencing. Apparently I have tonsil stones but I don’t think it’s that. It does feel better but still swelling behind and just feels uncomfortable.

Were you able to take a picture of the back of your throat/tooth for your GP to look at? You should be able to do this through eConsult.

This may help them diagnose you correctly if you don't feel you don't have tonsil stones! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest