The Student Room Group

Job in physics

Deleted
(edited 1 year ago)
If you want to be a physicist you have to do the PhD.
Their are private research institutes although not many in the UK, and if your not willing to live on a PhD stipend then its not really viable.

If not:
tech, finance, accounting, data science, defence systems...
Original post by swag dog
so everyone who works in science has a PhD?

Can you find outliers probably. But I currently am working in scientific research and am not aware of anyone without a PhD.
The only jobs that don't require a PhD that are directly related to Physics include a teacher, which may not be the best if you hate students; and an assistant, and even many of those are doctoral students.
Man that's ridiculous how can this be the case?

I know dudes who studied chemistry to just a BSc and have been working in labs making bank.

I thought physics was meant to be a good subject to study?
people talk smack on the arts degrees but they seem to have far more application in the real world than this.

right? i'll be doing my undergraduate this year (still young :biggrin:) but i only just realised that there doesn't seem to be many job prospects. kinda wish i did computer science or something
Man that's ridiculous how can this be the case?

I know dudes who studied chemistry to just a BSc and have been working in labs making bank.

I thought physics was meant to be a good subject to study?
people talk smack on the arts degrees but they seem to have far more application in the real world than this.

The high salary jobs aren’t in professional physics, data science, quantitative analysis, big tech, coding, finance, accounting, consulting, sales etc. Can all be high paying roles for physics degree grads but they use skills developed in the degree rather then actually working on the natural side of physics.
You can still switch courses after you start. I wish I switched to mathematics and years after graduating still wish so

is that something you'd recommend? i might do so if i don't enjoy physics that much. good luck with your job search, i hope you find opportunities soon
Yeah if you feel you want to do something else (after you've had a proper think) don't feel forced in staying in.

I did take a couple CS modules as my optionally credits and I far preferred the environment there.

and being in the workforce for 5 years, they don't care what topic your degree is in. that only matter if you have deep reasons to study it like your father is a scientist and you will get a job at his company. or you need to learn how to do this so you can save a family members life.

I didn't move out of fear. I thought I was lucky just to get what I had - a place on a physics course at an RG considering my background.
But if I could go back I would probably would have switched.

My situation is different so you have to make the decisions on your own merits but long story short you're not trapped on that course and don't be afraid to ask to move to a more suitable course if you feel like you should

alright cool. ill go research some ideas :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending