The Student Room Group

How different is chemisty gcse to a level?

I am thinking about taking a level chemistry but I am aware it is very difficullt. Is it totally new content to gcse or is a level built on the content learnt in gcse chemistrt?
Original post by Zammad__ali
I am thinking about taking a level chemistry but I am aware it is very difficullt. Is it totally new content to gcse or is a level built on the content learnt in gcse chemistrt?

I won't overidealise it for you. many people say that chemistry is the hardest science a level because it's less about the content and more about application. I do Oct b salters which is known to be quite hard. I had the highest GCSE mark in my whole year for chemistry but I would still say that it's quite hard for chemistry. if you don't maintain the knowledge and do the same effort as any other a level subject you'll get d's like most my friends who had 9s in GCSE. It's not like bio and physics because the people who take It, take it because it's necessary for their career so the grade boundaries are a lot higher. an a star is just losing 10 marks so a 9 in GCSE doesn't guarantee you'll be fine in a levels. If you want to do a level chemistry , do it because you need to and not because you want to and make sure that your chemistry foundations are really good because there are people in a levels who try so much harder and still get d's and it's because they just don't have the best foundations to build up the chemistry and that's what a level chem is all about so make sure you do amazing in GCSE chem not for a 9 but an a star in your a level. And remember you need to do loads of past papers. They're all available on physics and maths tutor and you need to be doing those constantly. it reminds me of maths a bit because you have a concept to learn and it's not just good enough to just learn the concept. you need to be aware of the trickster questions they'll give you. Good luck!!
In my opinion, Chemistry A-Level is really hard but if you work hard enough doing practise questions and understanding the content to apply it, you can get an A/B. A lot of people in my class are failing even though they revise but I think it's down to how you revise
Original post by youngsiward03
I won't overidealise it for you. many people say that chemistry is the hardest science a level because it's less about the content and more about application. I do Oct b salters which is known to be quite hard. I had the highest GCSE mark in my whole year for chemistry but I would still say that it's quite hard for chemistry. if you don't maintain the knowledge and do the same effort as any other a level subject you'll get d's like most my friends who had 9s in GCSE. It's not like bio and physics because the people who take It, take it because it's necessary for their career so the grade boundaries are a lot higher. an a star is just losing 10 marks so a 9 in GCSE doesn't guarantee you'll be fine in a levels. If you want to do a level chemistry , do it because you need to and not because you want to and make sure that your chemistry foundations are really good because there are people in a levels who try so much harder and still get d's and it's because they just don't have the best foundations to build up the chemistry and that's what a level chem is all about so make sure you do amazing in GCSE chem not for a 9 but an a star in your a level. And remember you need to do loads of past papers. They're all available on physics and maths tutor and you need to be doing those constantly. it reminds me of maths a bit because you have a concept to learn and it's not just good enough to just learn the concept. you need to be aware of the trickster questions they'll give you. Good luck!!

Thanks. I’m only asking because the content for gcse hasn’t really been taught due to the coronavirus and my schools horrific time tabling.honestly, if I gets 6/7 in gcse ,can I do a level chemistry and get an A
I’m in my second year rn doing aqa chemistry. Tbh I found the jump from gcse to first year not too bad, there are a lot of new concepts but nothing awful. I think the jump from first to second year is MUCH bigger, but obviously it’s doable if you put the work in, and I really enjoy it. not sure what if would be like for someone who isn’t passionate about it though
Original post by yasmin03
I’m in my second year rn doing aqa chemistry. Tbh I found the jump from gcse to first year not too bad, there are a lot of new concepts but nothing awful. I think the jump from first to second year is MUCH bigger, but obviously it’s doable if you put the work in, and I really enjoy it. not sure what if would be like for someone who isn’t passionate about it though

I’m pretty sure I can put the work in but a lot of the content hasn’t even been covered by my sccool. What I’m asking is , can I do a level and get an A without knowing all of Gcse chemistry. Is A level mostly new concepts or concepts built on GCSE taught content?
I’m pretty sure I can put the work in but a lot of the content hasn’t even been covered by my sccool. What I’m asking is , can I do a level and get an A without knowing all of Gcse chemistry. Is A level mostly new concepts or concepts built on GCSE taught content?

it’s a combination of the two really. you need to have a pretty firm grasp on most of the gcse content ideally, i guess it would be a lot more difficult if you didn’t, but yeah there are definitely new concepts too. I assume you’re in year 11 currently? my college gave us an “introduction to” kinda guides from aqa, so might be worth getting or finding out if you will get one as this made it easier for me and others to kinda know what we would be learning next in terms of concepts and just polishing up on any gcse stuff that wasn’t 100% clear previously which we would need
Reply 7

Ok so firstly, I'd say it was a tough challenge to begin with - and I got an A* at GCSE, an A at AS, and basically top marks in all tests. However if you persevere it honestly gets better. I found that if you develop a genuine interest in A-Level chem then it becomes enjoyable, after the inevitable shock to the system at the beginning of y12.

To answer your question, most of it is new content. You will realise that a lot of what you got taught at GCSE is an over-simplification - e.g. look up electron configuration on Google. However it does still build on a lot of what you learnt at GCSE, so it's not completely new. Ultimately it refines a lot of what you already know, and takes it to greater depths. Most of it is conceptual, so whilst it's hard, practice and application is the best way to get used to it.

The exception to this would be organic chemistry: at least in my (WJEC) specification, it wasn't covered that greatly at GCSE; but at A-Level it comprises half of the A-Level course. It's perhaps 90% new content, and a lot less conceptual - requires hard-core biology style content revision.

I wouldn't worry too much - if you enjoy chemistry and you are competent at it, then you will be fine at A-Level. It will be a shock to the system at the start of y12, but you will quickly get used to it, provided you revise for your tests and do lots of practice qs.
Reply 8
Original post by yasmin03

Oof ngl I found the gcse to first year transition worse, but that depends on you. Inorganic is quite hard in the second year though.
Original post by hiiiii1
Oof ngl I found the gcse to first year transition worse, but that depends on you. Inorganic is quite hard in the second year though.

just curious what did evryone get in GCSE?
just curious what did evryone get in GCSE?

I got a 7. You?
Thanks. I’m only asking because the content for gcse hasn’t really been taught due to the coronavirus and my schools horrific time tabling.honestly, if I gets 6/7 in gcse ,can I do a level chemistry and get an A

When I first came into gcse I went straight into year 11 missing most of the gcses content. I had to do so much independent learning to catch up to the content and the teachers weren't even helpful so I know how difficult it is to do independent learning at that stage because you aren't used to it and you think you don't have enough time but you do.
I want to be realistic with you. Even when you're doing a level chemistry the teachers won't be there to teach you all the content. All subjects are so time constricted that the teachers are going to rush over some content. A Levels is really all about independent learning. Also, if you're doing a level chem I recommend doing a level maths as well because there are a lot of questions that are more algebraic than to do with chemistry and the teachers will try to help but at the end of the day they're just chem teachers they won't have the good tricks.
The truth is my brother went into a levels without knowing much of his GCSE content because we were moving countries at the time. Despite him trying so hard in a levels, doing all the practice questions available he still got a c and that's because he wasn't developing his knowledge he was just learning what the papers wanted him to write. The reason why it was hard for him to develop it was because there was no foundation for him to develop from and that can be really hard. Don't say right now you're going to get a 6 or a 7 because believe me you still have enough time. Learn the content from cgp revision guides and that's really all you need. I used the book to test my knowledge and then practiced using the work book And physics and maths tutor. You seem like you really want to do chemistry so I know you will do this. Also, I got a 9 in chemistry:smile:
Original post by hiiiii1
I got a 7. You?

taking GCSE this year. what did you get in A level?
taking GCSE this year. what did you get in A level?

I'm taking A-levels this year but I'm predicted a B.

Quick Reply

Latest